What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Hes spot on about Bont and Libba who carry the team inside.

Smith and Treloar are both better at the role of carrying the ball from inside to outside, which is really important, but they are both vastly better receiving the ball than distributing it.

Can Jack transition from ball magnet to inside distributer at this stage of his career? Its probably what the team needs from him

David King reads this board, doesn't he?

Conveniently ignores (or missed the relevant posts) that our midfield, while stellar historically, is almost exclusively one-paced and struggles to match the spread of teams like the Hawks.

Heads up Kingy - if you read ALL the posts on here and use a compromise of the extremes, your articles will read even better! 😆
Absolutely they read posts! Without a doubt. The lack of original takes by the media is astounding

Need them to keep going.

I want this coach and team burning in lava by the weekend. There needs to be that much heat.

20 broken tackles. * off with that effort.
Hawks allowed to hang onto the ball for as long as it took them to get it out. Mind you, we should have prevented it getting out, but we seemed totally unable to. Whereas when one of ours took possession and was caught -

game over referee GIF by Univision Deportes

Last edited:
Any team loses their best and fairest winner who is solely an inside midfielder from the previous season and their inside midfield looks like it lacks depth - needs some context!

“I’m just concerned that this is just going to be another year they’ll tick off and say ‘we were unlucky there’ and nothing really changes. I think they really need to get to the bottom of what’s going on. I’m not saying it’s the coach, I’m not saying it’s the way they’re playing, I’m not saying it’s the list – it just seems like everything’s in great order, yet they’re scratching to make the eight. I cannot work it out.

“If they miss finals it has to be a savage review.”

David King

I agree.

“I’m just concerned that this is just going to be another year they’ll tick off and say ‘we were unlucky there’ and nothing really changes. I think they really need to get to the bottom of what’s going on. I’m not saying it’s the coach, I’m not saying it’s the way they’re playing, I’m not saying it’s the list – it just seems like everything’s in great order, yet they’re scratching to make the eight. I cannot work it out.

“If they miss finals it has to be a savage review.”

David King

I agree.
He's certainly trying to do us a favour.

I hope the club doesn't just dig into its bunker thinking it'll all blow over.
Then when they've pillaged our credit cards for an auto-renew that we didn't authorise we'll have the usual sugar hit of high draft picks and feel-good stories to start the 2024 season.

It's good we are being called out for a full review in the off-season. But didn't we get called for one at the end of last season, and we did do one? And the only thing that came from it, was hiring Lade.

I don't expect anything to happen from any "reviews" this off-season either. Wish we had Gordon in charge still. At least he had some bone.

It's good we are being called out for a full review in the off-season. But didn't we get called for one at the end of last season, and we did do one? And the only thing that came from it, was hiring Lade.

I don't expect anything to happen from any "reviews" this off-season either. Wish we had Gordon in charge still. At least he had some bone.

I must say I've been wondering what Gordon is thinking about all this.

Bevo is gone. He will walk I think. Nothing will be said until our season is over.

Where is Bevo's brief this week? Bit later than usual......

Bulldogs socials eerily quiet. They post the match report - win, loss or draw.

Nothing other than the final score, noting “Final.” & that’s it so far this week.

Someone has to be going on behind closed doors and the media team have been told not to post, considering it would just be all negative.

I must say I've been wondering what Gordon is thinking about all this.

Bevo is gone. He will walk I think. Nothing will be said until our season is over.
Gordon is a club legend beyond almost everyone in our club’s history but even he got a bit caught up in the emotion of everything after the draught breaking flag with Beverage. But I too am wondering what he would be thinking and doing if still President?? He was an excellent communicator with the media and fans (as was Smorgo too). He also seemed to govern the place well and put in all the right management to run the place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing other than the final score, noting “Final.” & that’s it so far this week.

Someone has to be going on behind closed doors and the media team have been told not to post, considering it would just be all negative.

The 'calm' before the storm, perhaps....

It is interesting. Normally there's a fair bit of fluff, even after a loss, at least some individual highlights in my social media.

Mate messaged me to say he was talking to the family member of a staffer (yeah, I know, third hand!) who said post-game in the rooms was apparently the most p1ssed off the captain has been, even shrugging off consoling pats from team-mates and coaches.

Anyone see any footage post-game to confirm or deny this?
Smiley Boy I'm assuming (hoping) it's just disappointment at the loss or one mis-interpreted action, or just BS?

The other week, think it was after the GWS match. Bont grabbed the mouth guard and threw it away in disgust.
One really pissed off Captain.

My first post since one of the most disappointing loses we have all had to endure.
Spent time at a AA camp the last 2 days !

This team , as talented as it is just dosn’t have the personality to go any further.
We have 2 or 3 that play with that manic desire that make a difference.
Compare that to the less talented 2016 team ?

We really are a very soft team , with no ticker at all when the going gets tough.

Sadly not something you can change during one off season, but some hard and perhaps surprising calls need to be made.

My first post since one of the most disappointing loses we have all had to endure.
Spent time at a AA camp the last 2 days !

This team , as talented as it is just dosn’t have the personality to go any further.
We have 2 or 3 that play with that manic desire that make a difference.
Compare that to the less talented 2016 team ?

We really are a very soft team , with no ticker at all when the going gets tough.

Sadly not something you can change during one off season, but some hard and perhaps surprising calls need to be made.
Honestly, hard nut, plays well and uses the ball well under pressure, and has a high work rate off the ball should be three things we should be high on when it comes to drafting and recruiting from now on. Only Bont and Libba play hard every game and don't crumble mentally. We need more people to handle finals a like intensity and to stand up strong physically and mentally. I'd love to land our own version of Newcombe somewhere.

It is interesting. Normally there's a fair bit of fluff, even after a loss, at least some individual highlights in my social media.

Mate messaged me to say he was talking to the family member of a staffer (yeah, I know, third hand!) who said post-game in the rooms was apparently the most p1ssed off the captain has been, even shrugging off consoling pats from team-mates and coaches.

Anyone see any footage post-game to confirm or deny this?
Smiley Boy I'm assuming (hoping) it's just disappointment at the loss or one mis-interpreted action, or just BS?
It would not surprise at all that Bont has reached the end of his tether. Outside of Libba, he has very few team mates that he can trust or rely on to do their jobs effectively and even less when things get tough or either he or Libba get injured or tagged out of it.

Mitchell knew there were only 2 players at the Dogs that he had to contain/quell and that the others wouldn't have the ability or the bottle (or both) to step up to the plate. Perhaps he did us a favour.

Now everyone knows it ... for sure. May as well lay it all bare against the Weagles this week. Libba out already, rest Bont and let's find if any one of the other 22 has even an ounce of leadership and resilience between them.

It would not surprise at all that Bont has reached the end of his tether. Outside of Libba, he has very few team mates that he can trust or rely on to do their jobs effectively and even less when things get tough or either he or Libba get injured or tagged out of it.

Mitchell knew there were only 2 players at the Dogs that he had to contain/quell and that the others wouldn't have the ability or the bottle (or both) to step up to the plate. Perhaps he did us a favour.

Now everyone knows it ... for sure. May as well lay it all bare against the Weagles this week. Libba out already, rest Bont and let's find if any one of the other 22 has even an ounce of leadership and resilience between them.
Got to get 3 brownlow votes for Bont this week. Something decent has to be made of the season.

He spends more time coming up with excuses and stories about why we suck than he does on thinking about how we could be better. He's always got some excuse on hand to push the brave narrative when we've been absolutely pathetic. Would it kill him to take some accountability for yet another underperforming season? 6 out of the last 7 seasons have been mediocre. That's not bad luck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back