What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember heading to a few functions at the club with family in the 90s and it had a real family vibe. I was a kid but the players were generally great. Certainly not at the Palladium. Of course, we also almost went under 3-4 times in my lifetime.

The whole AFL has moved away from the suburban, amateur feel. Still love watching us play and my boys have been offered no choice as to who they support. It’s definitely not the same accessible, loveable amateur-hour club it was though..
Having been at the 1961 GF as a little kid, and then suffering through the years after that until the 2016 GF, which I also attended :), I'm pretty grateful that we're not that club any more. It wasn't loveable - it was embarrassing.

Love 'ém or hate 'em, I quietly envied Carlton for their ruthlessness over the years.

We looked silly in comparison to them for decades.

Not now, the Dogs!

Having been at the 1961 GF as a little kid, and then suffering through the years after that until the 2016 GF, which I also attended :), I'm pretty grateful that we're not that club any more. It wasn't loveable - it was embarrassing.

Love 'ém or hate 'em, I quietly envied Carlton for their ruthlessness over the years.

We looked silly in comparison to them for decades.

Not now, the Dogs!
We all now know what Carlton were really doing though, and how they got their success, I understand what you are saying though.

I know a few members of the old guard at the club a bit, and they say they grudgingly admire the way the club has transformed into a well oiled machine administratively and financially, but that it’s losing sight of its roots.

Have seen some of Ahmeet’s responses to fan emails etc and I think he and others could learn a lot about respect for our supporters (even passionate nuffies).

It is starting to look like we’ve been quite brutal with some stalwarts in recent times (Wallis and Bubba). You could probably say it goes hand in hand with becoming a successful organisation, but I’m getting the impression we are going too far, and unnecessarily.

It’s quite possibly a reaction to the bad old days. That is the attitude that near enough is good enough - reference to the Terry Wallace “I’ll spew up speech”. Also reference Martin Flanagan’s book about 2016 where he names Jake Lansberger as a source of negative attitude. Maybe it’s an over re reaction, but if it helps us win then I am ok.

Maybe this is the sort of thing that Kevin Sheedy was talking about when he said we were a poorly run club.

Moving people on is a messy business in any organization.

It’s quite possibly a reaction to the bad old days. That is the attitude that near enough is good enough - reference to the Terry Wallace “I’ll spew up speech”. Also reference Martin Flanagan’s book about 2016 where he names Jake Lansberger as a source of negative attitude. Maybe it’s an over re reaction, but if it helps us win then I am ok.

Maybe this is the sort of thing that Kevin Sheedy was talking about when he said we were a poorly run club.

Moving people on is a messy business in any organization.
No, it isn’t.

If it’s as reported (ie a long serving assistant being sacked by text), then it’s just amateur hour in a different way.

Remember heading to a few functions at the club with family in the 90s and it had a real family vibe. I was a kid but the players were generally great. Certainly not at the Palladium. Of course, we also almost went under 3-4 times in my lifetime.

The whole AFL has moved away from the suburban, amateur feel. Still love watching us play and my boys have been offered no choice as to who they support. It’s definitely not the same accessible, loveable amateur-hour club it was though.

This is one of the charms, IMO, of the AFLW. It feels grass roots, nostalgic even.

I'm OK with moving Buba on. His replacement will be a test of how professional our current regime is. The replacement needs to be a switched-on assistant from a club that has had sustained success (e.g Geelong, Tigers)

The whole AFL has moved away from the suburban, amateur feel. Still love watching us play and my boys have been offered no choice as to who they support. It’s definitely not the same accessible, loveable amateur-hour club it was though.

Yeah I remember watching the 99 final at the Gabba in an old function room down at Whitten Oval and sitting at a table with Matthew Dent’s parents.

I find it very hard to believe that he would have been sacked by text message.

By the CEO as will, that is rubbish. I think there would have been some ongoing discussions about this going forward, with Chris Grant, and Ameet, and perhaps he was prepared that this would be happening, and maybe the final confirmation was by text, still not good practice, but not out of the blue either.

By the CEO as will, that is rubbish. I think there would have been some ongoing discussions about this going forward, with Chris Grant, and Ameet, and perhaps he was prepared that this would be happening, and maybe the final confirmation was by text, still not good practice, but not out of the blue either.
Nothing important, especially to do with employee relations, should ever be done via text message.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it very hard to believe that he would have been sacked by text message.
I agree, that is why I find this so strange, Ameet is no amateur.
I doubt he has just sacked Smith out of the blue by text, but where there is smoke there is fire. I’ve heard a few anecdotes about the way some important people in the club’s history have been treated and it’s less than ideal.

I’ve also seen some of Bains’ communications to supporters (annoying as some are) and they are frankly embarrassing and rude.

I doubt he has just sacked Smith out of the blue by text, but where there is smoke there is fire. I’ve heard a few anecdotes about the way some important people in the club’s history have been treated and it’s less than ideal.

I’ve also seen some of Bains’ communications to supporters (annoying as some are) and they are frankly embarrassing and rude.
Bains is a good operator with the exception of the fans, I feel. Got a terrible feel for that component of running a Club. Garlick, for his deficiencies on the other hand was exceptional on that front.

Have heard similar about Ameet's attitude and tone to fans. It's an area of improvement for him, though I don't think he is the sort of character to really care about it. Right in the belly of the beast, surrounded by folk that think and act similarly.

Bains is a good operator with the exception of the fans, I feel. Got a terrible feel for that component of running a Club. Garlick, for his deficiencies on the other hand was exceptional on that front.

Have heard similar about Ameet's attitude and tone to fans. It's an area of improvement for him, though I don't think he is the sort of character to really care about it. Right in the belly of the beast, surrounded by folk that think and act similarly.
Lines up exactly with what I’ve seen and heard and the thoughts of some others. While I’m sure he’s a good operator I know the club managed to balls up a very solid coterie by trying to squeeze it too hard for $ in the last few years.

Probably speaks a little of the club’s current attitude to supporters - you don’t have to let them be powerbrokers a la Essendon or Carlton but you also cannot look at them as walking talking ATMs.

If he’s aloof or disrespectful with supporters I don’t doubt he’s like that with people in footy, unless he needs to charm them. Absolutely needs to improve, but will only come if there are consequences.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back