Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm s

The well reasoned and timely criticisms of the AFLW are very few and far between. It's just 99% "hurr durr skill are terrible", "stop ramming it down my throat" and "the majority of people hate it, it won't last".

You can have your negative opinions of AFLW until the cows come home but don't cracks the sads when others have negative opinions about your opinion.

Well said. The thing that annoys me is in every post about AFLW there are countless people commenting something along the lines of “who cares”. I don’t understand why people who apparently don’t care, bother to spend their time letting everyone else know and need to try and ruin it for those who do. If you don’t like it, just don’t watch it.

Bigfooty is just as horrible as all the media and anything that comes from the AFL as far as AFLW goes.
Any negative comments, any negative anything is shut down.
This is meant to be a forum for opinions but don't dare mention how terrible the skills are or how rubbish it is to watch, its like we are starting a new competition kindergarten v kindergarten so everyone needs to support it and if you disrespect it you are wrong.
Repeat again.""There is a reason why its free admission"

Well said. The thing that annoys me is in every post about AFLW there are countless people commenting something along the lines of “who cares”. I don’t understand why people who apparently don’t care, bother to spend their time letting everyone else know and need to try and ruin it for those who do. If you don’t like it, just don’t watch it.

Yep, I don't like basketball, so I don't go on any basketball boards or threads because I can appreciate that basketball fans wouldn't be interested in hearing about my dislike of basketball. Yet for some reason many people who dislike AFLW seem to think people want to hear their opinion constantly.

And I'm not even a massive AFLW fan, I only watch the Freo games. But it's just boring reading the same blindingly obvious criticisms from people who somehow think they're adding something of value.

Yep, I don't like basketball, so I don't go on any basketball boards or threads because I can appreciate that basketball fans wouldn't be interested in hearing about my dislike of basketball. Yet for some reason many people who dislike AFLW seem to think people want to hear their opinion constantly.

And I'm not even a massive AFLW fan, I only watch the Freo games. But it's just boring reading the same blindingly obvious criticisms from people who somehow think they're adding something of value.
I don't comment on AFLW. But I think there is a difference to the basketball analogy. Some people, myself included, get irritated that AFLW gets blended into AFL coverage, in a way that does not occur with the NBA and WNBA for example. There is a fairly constant attempt to leverage AFLW off the AFL brand, whether in terms of pay deals, the AFL website, club marketing, or TV coverage, and it is done so in a way that presumes that fans have, or should have, a common interest in the two. For those of us who have zero interest in AFLW, this can get irritating, and so sometimes such fans feel the need to bob up and say hang on, we actually don't want this; to us it's no different to junk advertising of a product we don't care about. I think people would be less likely to harp on about AFLW if it was kept quite separate from AFL, and stood or fell on its own strengths or weaknesses.

I'll repeat the very MOST UN-POPULAR AFL OPINION I HAVE. North Melbourne should be given an ultimatum by the AFL. They MUST relocate to Tasmania and be ready to go by the start of the 2025 season. If they don't then all funding will be cut.
Same with Gold Coast. Cant keep handing out millions. You've got x amount of years to start building profits or bye bye

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't comment on AFLW. But I think there is a difference to the basketball analogy. Some people, myself included, get irritated that AFLW gets blended into AFL coverage, in a way that does not occur with the NBA and WNBA for example. There is a fairly constant attempt to leverage AFLW off the AFL brand, whether in terms of pay deals, the AFL website, club marketing, or TV coverage, and it is done so in a way that presumes that fans have, or should have, a common interest in the two. For those of us who have zero interest in AFLW, this can get irritating, and so sometimes such fans feel the need to bob up and say hang on, we actually don't want this; to us it's no different to junk advertising of a product we don't care about. I think people would be less likely to harp on about AFLW if it was kept quite separate from AFL, and stood or fell on its own strengths or weaknesses.
I see your point, but I think you're being a bit precious. They play AFLW out of AFL season for a reason. So it can get some air time while AFL is quiet. Have you ever been "spammed" with an integrated AFLW article in the middle of July?

I'll repeat the very MOST UN-POPULAR AFL OPINION I HAVE. North Melbourne should be given an ultimatum by the AFL. They MUST relocate to Tasmania and be ready to go by the start of the 2025 season. If they don't then all funding will be cut.
Would love an explanation of this considering St Kilda receive greater funding than North

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every club gets funding from the AFL.

Some get "extra funding".

I did a quick google. North got 11 million more than the Pies in 2018.

I remember learning at the end of 2019 that "profitable" was really misleading. Some clubs who don't make a profit in one year could have gotten less money from the AFL than a "profitable" club.

How many tens/hundreds of millions did the AFL spend bank rolling the AFLW, for $0 TV rights in return? Might regret it when they dip into the future fund this year.
Yes, they have bank rolled it. Its an aknowledgement that unlike when the free market pushed male leagues from backyard ammos into professionals, therr is actually some competition for women's leagues in making the same jump.... a brand that is faster , harder and stronger.

Nobody actually knows if a women's league is viable, but until a market exists for female athletes to dedicate their formative years to footy with the knowledge that earning a living wage is possible, we wont know.

So i dont care if the men subsidise the women, because until aflw wages mean they can gove their careers to afl, we're comparing applea and oranges. I dont think it will earn anywhere near as much, but that doesnt mean it cant be viable, or that it cant support its athletes as full time employees like the men do (maybe not to the same dollar).

And if it does that, if you dont like watching it, then dont. I find it amazing how many people who are gasping for footy by Feb wont sink to watching an AFLW game.

How many tens/hundreds of millions did the AFL spend bank rolling the AFLW, for $0 TV rights in return? Might regret it when they dip into the future fund this year.
Doubt it, it's an investment. They knew full well that it was going to be losing money in the early years.

Look at womens cricket in this Country it is flourishing and has been for a few years now, it continues to get bigger and bigger each year. You have genuine stars that are elite players and are brilliant to watch. This didn't happen overnight and neither will the AFLW but it will happen. The AFL messed up by expanding too early, the talent is already improving but the pool is being stretched way too thin.

People can hate it if they want but they need to understand this is not going to go away the AFL will keep investing money in to it.

Check your clubs debt level.

I see your point, but I think you're being a bit precious. They play AFLW out of AFL season for a reason. So it can get some air time while AFL is quiet. Have you ever been "spammed" with an integrated AFLW article in the middle of July?
I'm no more prescious than someone who gets irritated by cricket commentators continually plugging the network's other shows. That example, just like when AFLW gets promoted within AFL formts, is simply embedded advertising for a separate product. I normally mute the TV during adds, so I really hate embedded advertising, since you can't escape it, and that is the primary mode of marketing of AFLW.

I'm no more prescious than someone who gets irritated by cricket commentators continually plugging the network's other shows. That example, just like when AFLW gets promoted within AFL formts, is simply embedded advertising for a separate product. I normally mute the TV during adds, so I really hate embedded advertising, since you can't escape it, and that is the primary mode of marketing of AFLW.
I'm not saying it's being precious because it's embedded (I don't particularly like it either) it just that it's the off season for the men's game. There is * all happening that talk of AFLW is taking away from.

I'm not saying it's being precious because it's embedded (I don't particularly like it either) it just that it's the off season for the men's game. There is fu** all happening that talk of AFLW is taking away from.
It's embedded, even in the men's off-season, to the extent that my team's webpage and the AFL web page is full of stories about the Richmond AFLW team. That is all about marketing and brand-building. To me, it's a fairly cynical strategy - it's a means to an economic rational end. The AFL has realised that women represent too big a market to ignore, and even though a high percentage of AFL fans already are women, they want to ensure they maximise this market by buliding a women's football brand, which might attract even more women fans. It's the same reason they back expansion teams in western Sydney and the GC - the markets are too big to ingore. Their strategy to achieve this is to blend the new women's product with the long-established, successful product of men's AFL. But this blending of AFL and AFLW, as though they are two parts of the same whole, is an artificial construct, based on nothing other than a longterm corporate strategy. That is not what happens in sports like basketball with the WNBA, where there is no real overlap between men's and women's teams. I don't lose sleep over a few articles on a website which I'm under no obligation to read, but in principle I don't like the cynical, corporate, manufactured nature of it all. It would be more authentic if they were kept as more distinct, unique entities with their own traditions.

It's embedded, even in the men's off-season, to the extent that my team's webpage and the AFL web page is full of stories about the Richmond AFLW team. That is all about marketing and brand-building. To me, it's a fairly cynical strategy - it's a means to an economic rational end. The AFL has realised that women represent too big a market to ignore, and even though a high percentage of AFL fans already are women, they want to ensure they maximise this market by buliding a women's football brand, which might attract even more women fans.

The fact is women who follow the footy love it for the exact same reasons men do, and are no more likely to watch AFLW than guys are. It's not a case of oh now women are going to follow AFLW rather than AFL. They can recognize the same as men can that it's a less entertaining game

The fact is women who follow the footy love it for the exact same reasons men do, and are no more likely to watch AFLW than guys are. It's not a case of oh now women are going to follow AFLW rather than AFL. They can recognize the same as men can that it's a less entertaining game
Yeah I agree completely. I think the strategy I described is indeed the actual strategy of the AFL, but like you I think it's a bad strategy, because like you say it assumes (against all evidence) that a lot of women will only watch a sport if they get to watch other women playing, which ironically enough is actually pretty patronising towards women, not progressive.

I think the idea isn't about getting the women who already like footy. It's about getting the young female population who might be more inclined to get into it if they can play. If the have hero's to look up to it makes it all the more likely.
The same with GC and GWS it's definitely the long game.
It may be a cynical way of going about it but I have no doubt it will be the most successful.

HTB should be paid for any tackle of a man in possession of the ball.

The only exception is when a ball is collected from the ground, or after it has spilled off a pack or ruck contest. (Then some prior opportunity applies).

This was how footy was umpired in the 1980's to late 1990's.

This rule would cut out multiple ping pong handballs within a 10 meter pack of players. It will spread the players further out around a stoppage.

This is not an original thought, obviously.

Why prior opportunity lasts a player doing a 720 rotation in a tackle is just stupid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back