What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
True that all 3 are very similar good ordinary players, imagine if any of the 3 were champions of the game like Judd :)
Selwood most definitely is, as is Judd.

AFLPA votes/awards are meaningless. Many players admittedly don't watch games, and many aren't even big footy fans, just very athletic.

On the other end of the spectrum, I think the AFLCA (coaches) votes/awards are more valuable than Brownlow votes.

I know stats aren’t everything.

I remember seeing on Talking Footy a graph of Judd v GAJ based on ranking points averages per season - Judd’s output was seriously superior 2002-2006 (excluding 2005 when they were quite similar) but after 2006 GAJ never performed in a season at a lesser level than Judd.

Someone mentioned that Judd should be applauded for performing very well while at the lacklustre Blues. GAJ was at the vastly inferior Suns and performing at a much higher standard - some seasons had GAJ substantially higher than Judd managed while on the ladder-leading/premiership 2006 Eagles.

IMO the sad reality is that Judd peaked in his fifth season - 2006. He never came close to replicating that output.

A request to a stats expert - how does Judd’s 2006 compare with Danger’s 2016/17 and Martin’s 2017?

Yeah, I know numbers don’t tell the whole story ...

IMHO Judd just didn’t score enough as a Blue to be considered legendary. If he had put up several 2006 (or better) seasons I would put him in the same league as GAJ.

Not a big diss just a little strange IMO - Judd never had a 40 touch game. Weird. Joel S had one in his third season. Jack Macrae had one in his second season.

Swans were only 2 goals down part way through the 4th quarter, despite being reamed by the umpires. Yes a number of our players played like crap, but at the same time 4 goals in that match is a huge amount, not just for the 24 points, but also because of how it would affect the momentum of the game.

It would be about the only time in the last 30 years the AFL has not gifted the swans with everything.

You were beaten by a superior TEAM and not a bunch of stars mashed together by the AFL so the swans can be relevant.

Sydney’s 2005 flag was the biggest fix in the history of this sport and as a result, I always laugh when their supporters try to say 2016 was rigged against them; revenge was served that day. There is no rational argument in existence that says Barry Hall should have played that 2005 grand final. I’m not sure why this grand final isn’t as alienated in discussions as it should be, it wasn’t a Trent Cotchin 50/50 knock, it was a 100% malicious attack on another player off the ball and it still disgusts me to this day. Rant over.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I was sitting in the MCC members some 15/20 metres from where Hall wacked him. The ball was in the Swans back pocket/half back flank. Like you, I can’t believe to this day that he played in the Grand Final.
I think richmond vs Sydney would have been a better grand final. There’s always 2018

I know stats aren’t everything.

I remember seeing on Talking Footy a graph of Judd v GAJ based on ranking points averages per season - Judd’s output was seriously superior 2002-2006 (excluding 2005 when they were quite similar) but after 2006 GAJ never performed in a season at a lesser level than Judd.

Someone mentioned that Judd should be applauded for performing very well while at the lacklustre Blues. GAJ was at the vastly inferior Suns and performing at a much higher standard - some seasons had GAJ substantially higher than Judd managed while on the ladder-leading/premiership 2006 Eagles.

IMO the sad reality is that Judd peaked in his fifth season - 2006. He never came close to replicating that output.

A request to a stats expert - how does Judd’s 2006 compare with Danger’s 2016/17 and Martin’s 2017?

Yeah, I know numbers don’t tell the whole story ...

IMHO Judd just didn’t score enough as a Blue to be considered legendary. If he had put up several 2006 (or better) seasons I would put him in the same league as GAJ.

Not a big diss just a little strange IMO - Judd never had a 40 touch game. Weird. Joel S had one in his third season. Jack Macrae had one in his second season.

Judd's best years were clearly at West Coast, where he only won one B&F, even though at the Blues he had a few years where he got more of the pill.

In his second Brownlow year he was 29th for total disposals and 14th for average disposals - this for a guy that turned it over a fair bit. Swan should have won that year and we'd then be talking about a guy that won a few B&Fs at a rabble club and otherwise won one at a good club along with the Brownlow.

Judd = OVERRATED

Richmond were the best team in the AFL this year. They had the best W/L record in the league and smashed the rest of the top 4 in the finals.
I honestly don't see how anyone can argue against this. The best team in a competition is the team that wins that competition.

You win the flag, you're the best team that year.

Judd's best years were clearly at West Coast, where he only won one B&F, even though at the Blues he had a few years where he got more of the pill.

In his second Brownlow year he was 29th for total disposals and 14th for average disposals - this for a guy that turned it over a fair bit. Swan should have won that year and we'd then be talking about a guy that won a few B&Fs at a rabble club and otherwise won one at a good club along with the Brownlow.

Judd = OVERRATED

You conveniently forget 2011 where Juddy was almost an unbackable favourite. Sportsbet paid out early on him IIRC. Had an amazing season that year as well as 2010, although I agree Swan was was better.

He is one of the best players ever. Top 15-20 to ever play the game and only injury and perhaps Carlton subdued him from a few more seasons of elite football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly don't see how anyone can argue against this. The best team in a competition is the team that wins that competition.

You win the flag, you're the best team that year.

Quite easily. The best team can have a bad game. It happens all the time. If the team sitting on top of the ladder loses to the team sitting 14th does that make them the better team? Not really. If you played that game 10 times, the top team would probably win 8 if those games. However, that team was able to win on the day and good on them.

That is what makes our game great is that you don't necessarily have to be the best team to win the flag. I don't begrudge a team for doing it (maybe hawthorn 08), that team was able to win when it counted but it does not necessarily mean they would have won if it was a best of 5 or 7.

The best team does not always win the flag and there is nothing wrong with that, as it would be a boring game if that was the case.

Quite easily. The best team can have a bad game. It happens all the time. If the team sitting on top of the ladder loses to the team sitting 14th does that make them the better team? Not really. If you played that game 10 times, the top team would probably win 8 if those games. However, that team was able to win on the day and good on them.

That is what makes our game great is that you don't necessarily have to be the best team to win the flag. I don't begrudge a team for doing it (maybe hawthorn 08), that team was able to win when it counted but it does not necessarily mean they would have won if it was a best of 5 or 7.

The best team does not always win the flag and there is nothing wrong with that, as it would be a boring game if that was the case.
By definition the best team of a competition, any competition is the team that wins it.

Sadly, i think the AFLCA votes are not pure.

Some coaches are old fashioned and do not like to vote for their players.

Some coaches are campaigners and always like to vote for their players,

Last edited:

ROFL

Not disputing that, just disputing that the Crows were the best team.

Richmond: 18 wins, 7 losses
Adelaide: 17 wins, 7 losses, 1 draw

Best team of the year won on the day

Therefore St.Kilda in 2009 were the best team but Geelong were the premiers I assume.

Therefore St.Kilda in 2009 were the best team but Geelong were the premiers I assume.

I actually agree with this, we probably weren't the best team that year but played best on the day. Though we weren't far off. Might have been a 6:4 split.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back