What would a Dutton Liberal leadership mean for the Liberals and the country?

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I the only person who thinks a Dutton prime ministership is very possible given the likelihood of a global economic crisis during which the government/RBA won't have access to the levers they did to combat 2008? It's well documented that Labour experienced a pretty significant swing against, just nowhere near as severe as the Liberals. It also seems that the Liberal strategy was to sacrifice some traditional inner city seats (obviously the damage was far worse than anticipated) and make up for it by attacking the Labour heartland, which didn't work based largely on voter's contempt for Morrison. I don't think the tactic was that stupid, and I don't think it will be that hard to shift voter sentiment in those seats against an already unpopular Labour party if the economy does go to s**t, because you know for sure what the Murdoch media's take on that will be. Dutton could always turn out to be completely unelectable, but I remember how Abbott was going to be the death of the Liberal party when he became leader of the opposition.
It is definitely not out of the realms of possibility especially if the economy tanks but it would be unlikely at this stage. But who knows, the margins are not that big. The biggest issue for them is the number of seats which flipped to independents. They will be hard to recover within one election cycle.

Your biggest problem with your summary is that if Labor loses votes next election that they automatically go to the Libs. Both parties lost votes and it wasn’t to each other. It’s not a yes or no answer. The public has other options and as shown on the weekend they exercised that right. If it’s economic issues they’ll turn to the teals imo
Well at least there are alternatives outside of the big 2 of ALP and LNP.

Glad the teal group emerged with a few seats.

Again, greens have their small fan base. Although they won't get many seats in this election, they will get a few seats in the senate or lower house

Imagine trying to be a pragmatist in that party room with Antic, Hume, Molan. The pragmatists are going to get slaughtered. And that's before they even have to deal with the media and nationals who are bat-sh-t crazy anti-pragmatic.

The ALP faced similar problems achieving a pragmatic position - BF is full of people who criticised dropping the tax measures that were lost in 2018.

The Libs wont replace ScoMo until it knows whether Albo has the House & what the final groupings are in The Senate.

In a way it is and in a way it's not.

But if you look at the metrics.... 1.4 million voters should translate to around 5-8 seats at a bare minimum on an election.

Yet the greens will get seats in the other areas.
Ive never voted greens but this was the first time consideration I’ve given in my lifetime to voting that way. While those votes don’t translate to 5-8 upper house seats imo long term they will. They’ve shaken the “loony greens” tag and you’ll find more and more will see them as a legit third choice now. They’re not a huge party but imo they’re not an irrelevant small party.

Almost choked on my breakfast.

Warren Entsch described him as a caring and compassionate person. Helped him whilst he was Home Affairs/Immigration Minister.

Did Warren employ a Nanny?

Don't think that the Biloela family would agree (Dutton moved to Defence in 2021). Cost to taxpayers to date? $6.7 million.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dutton may not want to run, his dance card has the potential to get a little busy...

Commitment to investigate mass texts

In another move during his one-day tenure as Prime Minister, Mr Albanese reportedly tasked his government with investigating the arrival of a Sri Lankan asylum seeker boat on the morning of the election – after the Liberals sent mass texts out to voters about it on voting day.

Mr Morrison had warned voters earlier in the week that people smugglers were preparing to fire up their businesses in the event of a Labor win.

On Saturday, the Liberals sent a mass of robo-texts to voters after seizing on Mr Morrison’s announcement an asylum seeker vessel had been intercepted apparently en route to Australia.

The texts were sent to voters in marginal seats.

The move outraged senior Labor members, who questioned the timing of the announcement and the Liberal Party’s immediate mass text messages to voters in marginal seats.

The message read: “BREAKING – Australian Border Force has intercepted an illegal boat trying to reach Australia. Keep our borders secure by voting Liberal today. https://vote.liberal.org.au.”

More Coverage​

‘Right choice’: China’s response to Albo winCan you spot Albo’s first change as PM?
Today, the Sydney Morning Herald reported multiple senior Labor sources have confirmed there would be a review into how the boat got so close to Australia and the timing of the disclosure. News.com.au has contacted Mr Albanese’s office for comment.

Dutton may not want to run, his dance card has the potential to get a little busy...

In another move during his one-day tenure as Prime Minister, Mr Albanese reportedly tasked his government with investigating the arrival of a Sri Lankan asylum seeker boat on the morning of the election – after the Liberals sent mass texts out to voters about it on voting day.

Mr Morrison had warned voters earlier in the week that people smugglers were preparing to fire up their businesses in the event of a Labor win.

On Saturday, the Liberals sent a mass of robo-texts to voters after seizing on Mr Morrison’s announcement an asylum seeker vessel had been intercepted apparently en route to Australia.

The move outraged senior Labor members, who questioned the timing of the announcement and the Liberal Party’s immediate mass text messages to voters in marginal seats.

The message read: “BREAKING – Australian Border Force has intercepted an illegal boat trying to reach Australia. Keep our borders secure by voting Liberal today. https://vote.liberal.org.au.”

More Coverage​

‘Right choice’: China’s response to Albo winCan you spot Albo’s first change as PM?
Today, the Sydney Morning Herald reported multiple senior Labor sources have confirmed there would be a review into how the boat got so close to Australia and the timing of the disclosure. News.com.au has contacted Mr Albanese’s office for comment.
LOL the Morrison govt would never release figures of boats turned around during their time in govt. They really are shameless, still using the same old tactics of fear.

I heard a whisper, Dutton, does not want the job at this time.

He does though, want to take over from the fall guy, prior to the next election.
hard 2 believe campbell. his arrogance is such he'd believe he's the man. hope he gets it cos it'll ensure at least 1 further labor term.

LOL the Morrison govt would never release figures of boats turned around during their time in govt. They really are shameless, still using the same old tactics of fear.
It plays to the core of their base. Holding back Illegal immigrants scampering off their rickety wooden boats steeling your job, marrying your wife, adopting your children and then becoming your boss all the while illegally funding African gangs with drug money. And if you rid the country of these degenerates you’ll be able to buy a 10 million dollar mansion on your minimum wage job or government pension.

Ive never voted greens but this was the first time consideration I’ve given in my lifetime to voting that way. While those votes don’t translate to 5-8 upper house seats imo long term they will. They’ve shaken the “loony greens” tag and you’ll find more and more will see them as a legit third choice now. They’re not a huge party but imo they’re not an irrelevant small party.
Yeah I remembered the loony greens stigma they had when they 1st started. Had that 1960s hippy vibe too lol.

They main focus is the environment. But the other reason I would usually vote for them is similar to labour, they are left wing viewers.

More Coverage​

What are you alleging Dutton did?

What are you alleging Dutton did?

there have been reports here and in sri lanka that some are saying australians helped coordinate the two vessels. a poli received text messages two weeks prior to the election advising that they were being arranged with knowledge of sri lankan police and australian support

all thin, and all needs to be investigated

So Dutton's wife now decides to sell off the childcare centres? Why was it not an issue before but it is now?

Who says its an issue now?

Who says its an issue now?

If it isn't an issue why dump them before taking leadership?

SmartSelect_20220524-170855_Firefox.jpg
Perhaps because he is going for the leadership and those centres receive government funding?

He didn't declare it previously and I'm sure I recall some issue around government funding and his wife's ownership of these.

$5.6m in government funding - nothing to see here....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back