What would you trade for inevitable North Melbourne Priority Pick (2024)?

Remove this Banner Ad

They need salary cap space to get a few 25 and 26 year olds. Offering $1.5m a year to one player at a time isnt working. Nor is taking discards.

Picking up average mature age talent will do nothing

We’ve done that with greenwood, tucker, etc

But yes extra salary cap space and soft cap space is needed

I don’t think we should be forced to trade away priority picks like we have had to

It won’t just be that

will have to likely be some additional soft cap and salary cap relief to actually assist immediately

Pretty crazy that North Melbourne, the club that fought so hard to keep the soft cap lower Post-COVID in the name of equity, would now be looking to have an increased soft cap so they can be more competitive.

No more leg ups.

The problem is North overpaid for Clarkson which left little in the Kitty to pay for decent football dept support staff.

Getting worse results than under Noble who would’ve been on 1/4 of cooked Al.

It looks like a lot of North supporters have powered through that denial stage quite quickly and are now moving on to accepting that as a coach he is past it and this is yet another rebuild botched.

I don’t think we should be forced to trade away priority picks like we have had to

I reckon I said that soft cap relief would be the best form of assistance three years ago and that your shiny new toys would take you nowhere. You predicted your swag of picks would take you to a dynasty by 2025.

Lol.

The profitable clubs and actually all clubs should tell north to heck off

They won't get one. Wce and hawks are next in line. The game has moved on from north. Last thing we need is hawks and wce going into a death spiral

Pp should even be uttered by north supporters and should be used as a joke by opposition supporters not actual valid idea.
They will get one effectively by zurhaar leaving and herbs and spices applied to contract. Or genuinely get massively overpaid via a “ambassador payment “

Hawthorn (like West Coast) are too proud of a footy club to ever ask for a priority pick imho (and that's a great reflection on their club culture)

Andrew Dillon seemed pretty definite a few months ago when he stated the AFL has given out its "last priority draft pick"

I think a few extra rookie spots for mature age state league players is the best North fans could hope for.. they have been to the well enoigh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Novel pp idea though - get to
pick a player from each of the northern academies as a correction for the advantage those academies give. This doesn’t hurt the other rebuilding clubs.

Actually not bad.

Just widen it to ability to opt in to each clubs next F/S as well and sounds good to go

Nah, let everyone cop the burden
Oh not arguing about expand to f/s just having capped duration of this. But will add on reflection that the club losing the academy/ father son can offer north a player and if forth find that acceptable they will keep their academy/ father son player. Gets north experienced players without affecting rest of draft

Oh not arguing about expand to f/s just having capped duration of this. But will add on reflection that the club losing the academy/ father son can offer north a player and if forth find that acceptable they will keep their academy/ father son player. Gets north experienced players without affecting rest of draft

Sounds like a very targetted equalisation measure only effecting four clubs.

Cannot for the life of me see any problems with that :rolleyes:

First thing should be wiping the $1.6m they’re spending on a head coach. What a waste of soft cap space.

Get in someone young and hungry and spend the rest on half a dozen development and conditioning staff.
This is exactly what all interventions should be. Extra resources for development coaches and talent ID. List help should be extra list spots only with no extra picks given to fill them

Sounds like a very targetted equalisation measure only effecting four clubs.

Cannot for the life of me see any problems with that :rolleyes:
Hmm it included father/sons. And the targeting is to get at players who are outside of usual draft channels. It’s also limited to one player per club. And north are unlikely to take full use (would need to create enough list space)

Picking up kids that will likely have no impact for a few years will do nothing as well, at least in the short term. And short term competitiveness is the problem that priority picks are supposed to solve.

This is why the AFL must look at bringing in a mid season trade period. North could pick up players from other clubs that have played < X games and not on an injury list.

For example North could request a trade for Liam Reidy from Fremantle. Reidy gets the opportunity to play games which he currently isn't. IT would be out of the clubs hands if they aren't playing him.
That sounds fair, just raid other clubs lists with players who have contracts.

They should also take some premiership points off the top 4 to make sure they aren't still on zero, they have plenty.

Hawthorn (like West Coast) are too proud of a footy club to ever ask for a priority pick imho (and that's a great reflection on their club culture)

Andrew Dillon seemed pretty definite a few months ago when he stated the AFL has given out its "last priority draft pick"

I think a few extra rookie spots for mature age state league players is the best North fans could hope for.. they have been to the well enoigh.
I believe him, they will now be called "Assistance Draft Picks" instead. Problem solved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back