What you like/dislike about your local cinema & what you would like to see implemented

Remove this Banner Ad

Think I posted in the last movie you saw thread about a couple who brought their baby into a Gold Class screening of Logan a while back. I honestly thought that was one of the stupidest things I had ever seen. Going to a mums and bub sesh without a child would be on par. If its dudes I wonder if its a pick up method.

I go to mums and bubs sessions now on Wednesday mornings. They don't turn the lights off and the sound isn't at full volume and no one minds if your baby grizzles because the cinema is full of mums...but there's always one or two random people there sans children. Why?!

to pick up the single mums obviously

Exactly! So why go to that session if you don't have a baby?! It would be so distracting and annoying.
because some people don't realise it's that session at the time or they really wanted to watch that session and can't afford to wait for another etc...

I don't see an issue with it but the lights up etc. would be annoying.

Was very fortunate to just spend 3 weeks in Texas and they have a chain of cinemas called Alamo Drafthouse. They are not perfect by any means but a few simple things that they do make the cinema experience much more enjoyable.
1. No talking or texting. You will receive 1 warning then you are removed from the cinema without a refund.
2. My personal favourite, no late arrivals. You will not be admitted after the feature has started.
3. No under 18's unless accompanied by an adult (and the no talking rule still applies to them).
4. They have an old fashioned 'preview' that runs for the 30 minutes before the screening commences. This encourages many to turn up early. During this time they might screen anything from featurettes about the actor or director to something that is just loosely related to the film. We saw Phantom Thread and it had a featurette about 1950's fashion in France and one about mushrooms! That will make sense if you see the film.
5. They have a very good menu for both food and drinks which is delivered to your seat in the cinema (similar to Gold Class but without the excessive prices). Food is made fresh and not reheated.

Went to a few different cinemas over there and as a guide, the admission prices are between $6 -12 (US$). AMC and Regal tend to be similar in style to Hoyts and Village but significantly cheaper. Saw no evidence of it but I have heard that AMC and Regal have also begun expelling talking/texting patrons from cinemas.

We also trialled a D Box cinema in San Antonio. A little bit of an improvement on the gimmicky cinema at SeaWorld or Movie World that moves around. Saw The Commuter there and it made an average film a more enjoyable experience. I understand the Fast and Furious films sell out for weeks at these screenings.

Sounds like we just get the McDonald's of cinemas in Australia except not even cheap.

I think there's a couple places with the shaky chair thing now.

What pisses me off and doesn't get mentioned much is how the previews have changed. Before it used to be ads then trailers. Now it's all mixed up and jumbled I assume to get people paying more attention to the ads. Also means you don't know the movie's starting until 10 seconds before it does and they finally lower the lights.

Texters or talkers (with/without phone) during movies.

Applies to every cinema

Saw the latest Star Wars with people who wanted to sit in the last row. I thought "Ugh that sounds unwise...". Sure enough, *heads in front got the phones out. I try to sit within the front 10 rows. Partly because of phones but also if you're way up the back it doesn't feel much different to watching TV.

Sounds like we just get the McDonald's of cinemas in Australia except not even cheap.

I think there's a couple places with the shaky chair thing now.

What pisses me off and doesn't get mentioned much is how the previews have changed. Before it used to be ads then trailers. Now it's all mixed up and jumbled I assume to get people paying more attention to the ads. Also means you don't know the movie's starting until 10 seconds before it does and they finally lower the lights.
From memory, it’s usually few ads, trailer, ten Or more ads, then last three trailers, film.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do they spot texters/talkers?
They use a card system, so you write on the card the person 4 seats to your left is using their mobile phone. They will give them a warning. If they do it again they are out. Their staff are in the cinema most of the time (but very unobtrusive) to serve meals and drinks and collect cards for orders for drinks and meals etc.

They use a card system, so you write on the card the person 4 seats to your left is using their mobile phone. They will give them a warning. If they do it again they are out. Their staff are in the cinema most of the time (but very unobtrusive) to serve meals and drinks and collect cards for orders for drinks and meals etc.
I find this is what it mostly comes down to; staffing. If one of their employees is standing in the aisles at Grand or Event Cinema, I find there is complete silence. As soon as they leave, those who chat and play on their phones will do so. I've mentioned it several times to several cinemas and they all say the same thing- they don't have the staff to permanently man each session.

Exactly! So why go to that session if you don't have a baby?! It would be so distracting and annoying.

Ive attended a few - willing to sacrifice some peace for a cheaper ticket! I've been lucky in the handful of sessions I've been to..... there were few mums OR bubs in the session itself.

Have not been to a mums and bubs session in years (saw The Avengers at one of them!).

Went to Reading Cinemas yesterday. Nowhere near where I live but at $10.50 a ticket I'll be back.

Went to an Event Cinemas screening in Innaloo the other night. After over two decades of going to films and having at least 10 minutes, generally more like 20 minutes of ads and trailers, I was in no rush to get to my 1830 screening. Walk in at around 1833 and the film has already started! Worse than that, people were continuing to filter in and assuming it was still ads, blabbing away. So it's 10 minutes into the film before the whole audience is in and clued on to what's happened.

I have no problem with no ads, and the film finished 30 mins earlier than advertised. But surely you have to let us know when we buy our tickets that this is happening?

I'd pay double for a cinema experience not having to endure some fat ass that can't go 2 hours without eating anything.

Popcorn, junkfood in loud wrappers and choc tops can go and get ******. Eat before or after the movie dickwipes.
shut up you whinging prick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back