Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Currently watching The Fugitive

I haven't seen it for years and forgot how good it is. One of my most favourite 90s movies.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (2018)

In the aftermath of World War II, a writer forms an unexpected bond with the residents of Guernsey Island when she decides to write a book about their experiences during the war. This period drama is a bit of a chick flick, it's a romance film set with the pretty author finding out the secrets of a group while slowly falling for a hunky farmer who's involved. A well told, seamlessly acted drama that offers nothing new but a comforting level of familiarity and cosiness. However, the story uncovered by the female author is far more interesting than the romantic one she finds herself in. The missus loved it, I found its charm wore of pretty quickly once it was over. 6/10

No good? Read people on twitter raving about it.

Mightve been planted though

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

No. I mean, it’s what you’d kind of expect but it’s not good. I only gave it a few points because Stratham hams it up and is entertaining enough. Also kind of liked that it had an international cast and wasn’t set in the USA.

Just watched The Meg. Solid movie for what it is. Don't expect an academy award for it, but it was entertaining. Give it 6/10.

Occupation. An alien invasion movie set in present day country NSW.

One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Well I only watched half of it. I'm tempted to watch the rest on a 'so bad, it's funny basis'. It's a series of cliches, whether it's an Aussie country town, a nerdy Asian kid, idiot alien foot-soldiers. The continuity is shocking. It alternates between night and day between contiguous scenes and often between shots. Characters change clothing. The score is quite random relative to what is happening on screen.

I spoke to the producers of it a few months ago and they were complaining that they couldn't get any government funding. We should be grateful that someone in control of public money didn't waste it on this garbage.

1/10.

Occupation. An alien invasion movie set in present day country NSW.

One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Well I only watched half of it. I'm tempted to watch the rest on a 'so bad, it's funny basis'. It's a series of cliches, whether it's an Aussie country town, a nerdy Asian kid, idiot alien foot-soldiers. The continuity is shocking. It alternates between night and day between contiguous scenes and often between shots. Characters change clothing. The score is quite random relative to what is happening on screen.

I spoke to the producers of it a few months ago and they were complaining that they couldn't get any government funding. We should be grateful that someone in control of public money didn't waste it on this garbage.

1/10.
Sounds great

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bad Samaritan. A suspense drama where a house thief discovers a woman being held captive.

I wasn't expecting much from this but it's actually really good. All the performances were good especially David Tennant as the psycho bad guy and Robert Sheehan as the conflicted thief. It's well written and directed with good pacing. The plot hangs together well with its twists and turns, with plenty of uncomfortable moments to keep you watching.

7/10.

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - I'm a massive Wes Anderson fan and we've been introducing his films to my wife's nephew over the last few months, so on the weekend we put this on and it was crazy how much of it I didn't actually remember. And in the end, I don't think I quite enjoyed as much as I used to. It's still a fantastic film, but some of the dialogue is really stilted, especially early in the film ... BUT ... it's hard to go past the scene where Bill Murray single-handedly fights off a boatful of pirates with The Stooges' Search & Destroy soundtracking the mayhem!

Went to a screening of BlacKkKlansman over the w/e. One of the more amazing movie-going experiences I've had.

It has everything and then some. A wickedly entertaining story - a black cop in the 70s 'infiltrates' the KKK - that has moments of exhilarating, edge off your seat type of stuff like the very best of Inside Man, but also one that isn't afraid to draw in the current state of the world as the lens in which to see the film through, much like 25th Hour.

I use those two films as comparisons, because when you talk about the last great Spike Lee films, those are generally it and BlacKkKlansman can easily take its place amongst them and the films that made Spike Lee in the first half of his career. Most of this film is truly a fun ride, the ensemble is terrific - the black cop, Ron Stallworth, is played by Denzel's son John David (that fact floored me after) - but make no mistake this isn't a film that pulls its punches. The modern day parallels are not subtle, they are intentionally obvious.

It's done to great comedic effect for most of the time, a burst of uncontrollable laughter that filled the theatre. But there's a moment or two where there was nothing but pure silence. A collective exhale when the credits rolled. Damn ******* good.

9.5/10
Brilliant write up.
Saw it yesterday and it didn't disappoint. Best movie I have seen for a while.

Upgrade, latest feature by Leigh Whannell

Really, really great cyberpunky/sci-fi film. Lot's of Aussie actors in it too like the hot one from Winners and Losers. Biggest flaw? Too short

5 stars

Finally watched Dredd after a number of years of just fobbing it off. Was a pleasant surprise and nicely entertaining (in an ultraviolent way). 7/10 and Karl Urban is a complete boss in this.
have you watched The Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back