Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got around to watching Assassin's Creed. I enjoyed it but I love the games so it was nice seeing a solid adaptation on the screen. It did suffer a little from timing constraints and not being able to tell a longer story in the Spanish. I didn't really like how they made the modern day parts follow a somewhat similar story to the first game instead of coming up with something more original.

The only thing I am worried about is that they have a trilogy planned and I get the feeling they are going to try and make Lynch an Ezio like character.

I'm not sure if you specifically wanted that person's rankings, but these are mine of the films nominated for Best Picture:

View attachment 345551

started watching Fences the other night & had to turn it off after about 15 min's, something about the dialogue I just couldn't stand, won't be revisiting I would have thought.

started watching Fences the other night & had to turn it off after about 15 min's, something about the dialogue I just couldn't stand, won't be revisiting I would have thought.
Yeah the opening 20 minutes was painful.

I persisted purely for the sake of being able to say I've seen it.

It got better, and Viola Davis was really good, but it was still a poor film overall.

I would be interested in your ranking of these films if you have the time.

I'm not as harsh a marker as Kong. I didn't think any of them were duds, but I'm not sure any were really classics either, and only the first would make my own top ten of the year I think.

Also, I get the beef with the opening 20 minutes of Fences. It was a big clobber in the face and I initially thought "Oh s**t, this is going to be an intense level of dialogue thrown my way." But after a couple of minutes of it I went with it, and it was a good introduction to Denzel's character's bluster.

My ranking:

1. Arrival
2. Hell or High Water
3. Hacksaw Ridge
4. Fences
5. La La Land
6. Hidden Figures
7. Manchester by the Sea
8. Moonlight
9. Lion

This is based on a single viewing of each of them. I could most see my opinion on La La Land and Moonlight improving with repeat viewings and Fences souring somewhat with time. But that's how I'd rank them today, at least.

The Autopsy of Jane Doe

I'll never listen to 'Let the Sunshine In' in the same way again.

Mr Church. Eddie Murphy in a serious role. He wasn't bad but I think the movie itself will be forgettable.

La La Land. I liked it, but not to the extent that the industry has been raving about it. The same dude made Whiplash, and I preferred Whiplash.

Crazy Stupid Love. Staying with the Gosling theme. I've seen this before and have to say it's one of the better RomComs I've watched.

Bad Santa 2 - funny enough at times but the grown kid was mildly disturbing & it's just a shadow of the original, gets a pass with Kathy Bates doing her thing - 6/10.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - wasn't sure how to describe this one then read the first comment on RT - "enjoyable but slightly underwhelming", which sums it up perfectly, needed more oomph, good cast tho - 6.5/10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

La La Land. I liked it, but not to the extent that the industry has been raving about it. The same dude made Whiplash, and I preferred Whiplash.
Huh, did not realise that. Won't expect it to be quite as good but definitely adds a bit of intrigue.

Hanging out for that 1080 to drop ;)

Watched Terminator 2 last night.

God damn its an awesome movie, still very much holds up as a classic. Wish i was old enough to have seen it in cinemas.

Ed Furlongs shrieking crackling voice the only downside.
I saw it at the cinema at the time and it felt like one of those movies that changed CGI forever much like Star Wars did.

The first Matrix was THE movie for that in my formative years.

It was revolutionary.
To me the first Matrix movie was another great angle on AI's gone crazy, a lot like Terminator in that respect. The thought provocation of the blue or red pills and so forth overtook anything they could've done with new camera techniques.

A Cure for Wellness

Weird, weird, weird, so weird. But so, so good.

Care to explain what was so good about it? Spoiler tags obviously.

Because I found, other than the atmosphere and the setting, it was a rather dull movie that believed it was more intelligent than it really was.

Care to explain what was so good about it? Spoiler tags obviously.

Because I found, other than the atmosphere and the setting, it was a rather dull movie that believed it was more intelligent than it really was.

I didn't think it was trying to be smart, at all. I saw it as a glorified midnight/B-movie disguised as a modern paranoia thriller that gleefully revelled in how absurd it was while taking stylistic notes from The Shining, Shutter Island and at times at what felt like Del Toro.

Loving.

I think it's a really important story and was quite powerful in parts, but probably ran 30 minutes too long. Really seemed to drag a bit and then rushed the ending. 7/10

Watched a few recent films on the plane over to the UK and back in the last couple of weeks.

Rank them as follows:

Moana (left me feeling so positive about life)
Manchester By The Sea (depressing story but didn't leave me sad per se)
The Accountant (very inconsistent but the good bits were good)
Arrival (had to research afterwards what it was actually about...probably like Inception I needed to concentrate a bit more when watching it to fully appreciate it)
Allied (slept halfway through but wasn't really grabbed by the parts I did see)

Moonlight

I liked it a lot. The first two acts were brilliant, constantly felt like I wanted to burst out in tears. The third act brought it down a touch, not because the acting or script was bad or anything, but it just didn't have as much emotional weight to it as the first two. But still, I can certainly see why it got so much praise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back