Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the last 30 odd years he's probably got more hits and watchable films than anyone. It's pretty hard to deny, and the bloke still looks 45, yet he's 58. I think he's a strange cat, but he's definitely a motivated, focused man who does do some unbelievable stunts.

As an actor I like him, for his choices, and his ambition, and dedication.
My wife can't stand him and therefore will hardly watch anything he's in. She's missing out on some great films because, as you say, he's remarkably reliable.

Saw Tenet last night.

Bloody confusing.

Saw it though.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Saw it as well. Didn't think it was too confusing, though some of the action scenes became a bit messy. Really enjoyed it, not on the level of Inception, but a great 'action' film. 8/10.

Pacific Heights.
Increasingly strange man rents a room in a house from some nice folk and refuses to let them in after they hear lots of strange noises coming from the apartment.
Michael Keaton can be a nasty mofo as the villain. 7/10

That's visual effects. Watch the live Oscars if you want to see how old actors look.
Some just have that fountain of youth ability but if you look at Tom Cruise’s neck you can see he really has the turkey skin happening. Still the bloke looks remarkable for a Hollywood actor at that age.

Unbreakable is, IMO, his best film. Its brilliant. I actually think if you take out Lady in the Water, Happening, Last Airbender and After Earth hes been good (but those movies are pretty awful) The whole Unbreakable/Split/Glass trilogy was good/great and the re introduction of Willis in the last seconds of Split was brilliant.
Agree with that.

I've spoken about the " Breakfast table " scene in UNBREAKABLE before as one of my favorite ever scenes.
I get it.
If I had to stand up throughout the movie, the end scene would have brought me to my knees.
So beautifully executed and so heart-breaking at the same time. It just made so much sense.....too much sense.

The market scene near the end of The Last Temptation of Christ also left a profound impact upon me....and is just so relative today.
I had zero interest in this movie until reading these comments. Totally agree with everything written by you fine people. Will aim to watch the rest of the trilogy now.

Over the last 30 odd years he's probably got more hits and watchable films than anyone. It's pretty hard to deny, and the bloke still looks 45, yet he's 58. I think he's a strange cat, but he's definitely a motivated, focused man who does do some unbelievable stunts.

As an actor I like him, for his choices, and his ambition, and dedication.

I find his films good value too. Definitely a bit of a weird unit. This came out when he was going a bit sideways with his Scientology phase.

Following (1998)

Christopher Nolan's film debut, shot on a budget of $3,000 and featuring some unknown British actors.

Running only just over an hour, it truly is the work of a talented director on a budget, but his fingerprints are all over it.

The non-linear storyline and noir-style visuals instantly remind you of Memento. The one upsmanship is similar to the leads in The Prestige. The final revelation is classic Nolan, and one character by the name of Cobb spends his time inserting himself into people's lives and minds to steal their belongings. Oh, and there's a Batman logo in one scene.

An intriguing view, particularly to watch knowing what this guy will create in the two decades ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tried to watch Pirates of the Caribbean the other night and fell asleep, then turned it off.

Don't remember it being trash, but I certainly wasn't enjoying it that's for sure.

Leaving Neverland

The controversial documentary exploring allegations against Michael Jackson, interviewing two boys that spent years sleeping in his bed.

Pretty uncomfortable at times, and personally I believe them, even though I know a lot of people have accused them of money grabbing.

It's HBO so you know it's well made, and it's a fascinating insight into the life of a messed up millionaire that clearly had unchecked mental illnesses.

5.5/10

Portrait of a Lady on Fire - 7.5/10

My opinion of the movie doesn't quite match the reviews and hype. But nonetheless the last 30 minutes was still quite great.

Pulp Fiction, haven’t seen it in ages because I’ve seen it too much. So good, if that’s all the Tarantino gave us then that’s enough but he’s given us a lot. Samuel Jackson and Travolta were fantastic, Travolta should have been more selective after this film. Uma was great as she was, great roll for Bruce. Just a cool timeless film that they’ll be watching in 100 years and still enjoy.

'Vice' (2018)

Deeply cynical and black film about Dick Cheney. Amazing and scary film about the power he wielded and probably continues to wield. The mid credits scene is great and too Sam Rockwell as George W.

9/10

Eyes wide shut, rock of ages and mission impossible 2 are bad. But for a 40ish year career he’s had a remarkable success rate.
I suppose you're right if you're talking about commercial success.

A few pages back people were talking about him not having any "bad" films.

That is completely subjective, and for me personally I don't rate many of his films.

There are a few that I enjoyed (Rain Man, for example) but for the most part I don't get much out of his films.

A few pages back people were talking about him not having any "bad" films.

These people have obviously never seen The Mummy.

Primal Fear (1996) - One of the better courtroom thrillers made, in Edward Norton's debut performance. Probably Richard Gere's best performance of his career. 8/10.

The King of Staten Island (2020) - Was decent, but that's it. Not worthy of some of the hype, though. 6/10

The Banker (2020) - Loved it. Great story. I like financial genre movies though. 7.5/10

Hostiles (2017) - Underrated western/Indian epic, these types of movies are in my wheelhouse, but I thought it stacks up to some good ones, and any Western starring Bale and the remainder of that cast was bound to be decent. 7.5/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back