Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought The Dry was excellent. Never too obvious, steered clear of most Aussie tropes, and a really well-constructed story. I find Bana to be a relatively stale dramatic lead but he suits this one well. Some really good work in the supporting cast.

I thought The Dry was excellent. Never too obvious, steered clear of most Aussie tropes, and a really well-constructed story. I find Bana to be a relatively stale dramatic lead but he suits this one well. Some really good work in the supporting cast.
Its funny i thought he was stale in this.

Another Round - Danish film about a group of colleagues in the midst of a mid life crisis. They decide to drink 0.05% of alcohol every day based on a study that says humans are short of that amount in their body. Things start well and then of course, it starts affecting their life more seriously. Mads Mikkelsen is great 4/5

It’s funny I’m not a massive fan of Australian cinema but I really enjoyed this one I feel Bana put a lot into he’s role for this one can’t say I’m a fan of Bana as an actor as the only other film I’ve enjoyed him in is Chopper

True. Still some of the line delivery i was just cringing. Didnt like the final scene how it was filmed either. Actually no second to last.
Oh right, I thought it worked reasonably well personally but I get where you're coming from. I might have missed it, but what were your overall impression of the film?

I'm Thinking of Ending Things (2020)

Masterpiece from Kaufman. Possibly the best work of his esteemed career. This will need several views.

Superman 1978

Superman played by Christopher Reeve, Marlon Brando playing Superman's dad Jo-El, Margot Kidder playing Lois Lane and Gene Hackman playing Lex Luthor

That was the superhero film to end all superhero films.

Oh right, I thought it worked reasonably well personally but I get where you're coming from. I might have missed it, but what were your overall impression of the film?

Im really a bit fanatical about this film- because im a huge fan of the book... so ill post all in a spoiler and crap on for a bit..

First of all i read the book years ago, when it was just a book. About a 1/4 way thru i was screaming in my head "this will be a great movie"- cause it was just that obvious. BUT. I wish i hadnt read the book, because it spoiled the film for me at the end of the day. I knew the twists that were about to come, i knew everything. Which def takes the edge off the whole experience- i even got a bit bored 3/4 point. Anyway, as for Bana i totally understand why he is "wooden" in it- its the character. But i still think he could have done it a whole lot better. Some of the ways he delievered a line, would not be out of place in Home and Away- im sorry but its true. He was lousy in some parts. More parts tho he was "ok"- or passable. I just didnt picture him in this role. Ill say it again- a more "Aussie" bloke like Sam Worthington. Someone a tad younger than Bana and someone that actually looked like he was from a country town. Imo Bana just was not believeable in this sense. Ok- the final scenes. I thought the FINAL climax was done quite well. But the second last climax was s**t house. Like... way to ruin a ******* scene by putting it in slow motion- ultra slow motion. the stupid expressions that you get from that was just comical. The scene should have been more subtle, done in "normal" speed and not like a manic. Slow it down... slow build.. the guy wants to set the bush on fire, hes about to light the match- then boom- it all happens FAST not slow. I was almost laughing from some of the looks on Bana's face- and that is not the reacion this scene wants, at all. Ok i think thats about it- otherwise i really did enjoy it!!! The supporting cast was ******* brilliant. And of course, the other main character of the film- the bush, the dry. Amazing. Gave the movie a 7/10 overall. Extra points would have been added on had they fixed the above. But you cant please everyone, i totally get that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im really a bit fanatical about this film- because im a huge fan of the book... so ill post all in a spoiler and crap on for a bit..

First of all i read the book years ago, when it was just a book. About a 1/4 way thru i was screaming in my head "this will be a great movie"- cause it was just that obvious. BUT. I wish i hadnt read the book, because it spoiled the film for me at the end of the day. I knew the twists that were about to come, i knew everything. Which def takes the edge off the whole experience- i even got a bit bored 3/4 point. Anyway, as for Bana i totally understand why he is "wooden" in it- its the character. But i still think he could have done it a whole lot better. Some of the ways he delievered a line, would not be out of place in Home and Away- im sorry but its true. He was lousy in some parts. More parts tho he was "ok"- or passable. I just didnt picture him in this role. Ill say it again- a more "Aussie" bloke like Sam Worthington. Someone a tad younger than Bana and someone that actually looked like he was from a country town. Imo Bana just was not believeable in this sense. Ok- the final scenes. I thought the FINAL climax was done quite well. But the second last climax was sh*t house. Like... way to ruin a ******* scene by putting it in slow motion- ultra slow motion. the stupid expressions that you get from that was just comical. The scene should have been more subtle, done in "normal" speed and not like a manic. Slow it down... slow build.. the guy wants to set the bush on fire, hes about to light the match- then boom- it all happens FAST not slow. I was almost laughing from some of the looks on Bana's face- and that is not the reacion this scene wants, at all. Ok i think thats about it- otherwise i really did enjoy it!!! The supporting cast was ******* brilliant. And of course, the other main character of the film- the bush, the dry. Amazing. Gave the movie a 7/10 overall. Extra points would have been added on had they fixed the above. But you cant please everyone, i totally get that
I think my not having read the book makes me a little more forgiving than you, but I definitely see where you're coming from.

Sam Worthington would have been just about the only choice worse than Bana imo. But there would have been plenty of Aussie actors, not with Bana's profile of course, that would have been much better options.

The supporting performances really were excellent. Tough to single anyone out but Matthew Nable really impressed me in his two or three scenes.

I think my not having read the book makes me a little more forgiving than you, but I definitely see where you're coming from.

Sam Worthington would have been just about the only choice worse than Bana imo. But there would have been plenty of Aussie actors, not with Bana's profile of course, that would have been much better options.

The supporting performances really were excellent. Tough to single anyone out but Matthew Nable really impressed me in his two or three scenes.
Well someone else- you get my point tho.

Jackman. A younger Hugh Jackman for the role?

Superman 1978

Superman played by Christopher Reeve, Marlon Brando playing Superman's dad Jo-El, Margot Kidder playing Lois Lane and Gene Hackman playing Lex Luthor

My favourite superhero movie ever

Superman 1978

I preferred the second one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back