Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody Knows.

A Spanish drama/thriller with Penelope Cruz. Really did enjoy it, if not for the disappointing ending. Still retained my interest throughout and a great performance by Cruz. The Spanish language really is lovely- and Spanish ppl sound better speaking Spanish, than English. Well obviously.

7/10

Wonder Woman 1984. This is...not a good movie. Way too drawn out for a standard sequel, nonsensical plot device, overwrought attempt to create some sort of narrative heart that is just empty, and some wildly ropy special effects. The only thing that could have saved it is lots of Gal Gadot in the outfit and we didn't get it :(

Corpus Christi - a devoutly religious young man in Poland is released from his juvenile detention centre. Almost as a joke, he lies in a small town church about being a priest, and is soon taken in as the town's priest. Very good movie, if grim (as seems to be the case with most Polish films I've seen), and with excellent performances, especially by the lead Bartosz Bielenia, who I wouldn't be surprised to see breaking out in villainous roles in American films (as seems to be the fate with every breakout European leading man). Thoughtful and interesting, if sometimes a little cliché and melodramatic in some of the storylines around the townsfolk.

Nomadland - Frances McDormand is a recently widowed woman dealing with the death of her Nevada town, jobless and homeless after the manufacturing plant that is its primary employer closes down and the town ceases to exist. Living out of a van, she takes seasonal work and lives a nomadic life, driving across America's west along with a large group of other, mostly older, nomads. McDormand gives one of her best ever performances among a cast that otherwise almost entirely features non-actors who are real life drifting nomads (with David Strathairn the sole other professional, as another nomad who grows close to McDormand). The movie meanders in a most enjoyable way, with shots of astonishing beauty of the American countryside. The Best Picture Oscar favourite and top of many film critics' best of 2020 lists, I wouldn't disagree with them. A fantastic film.

Jojo Rabbit

Not bad. Enjoyed the lightness of it. Some of the humour was okay. Not in a rush to see it again but can see why it is loved by many.

7/10

Corpus Christi - a devoutly religious young man in Poland is released from his juvenile detention centre. Almost as a joke, he lies in a small town church about being a priest, and is soon taken in as the town's priest. Very good movie, if grim (as seems to be the case with most Polish films I've seen), and with excellent performances, especially by the lead Bartosz Bielenia, who I wouldn't be surprised to see breaking out in villainous roles in American films (as seems to be the fate with every breakout European leading man). Thoughtful and interesting, if sometimes a little cliché and melodramatic in some of the storylines around the townsfolk.

Nomadland - Frances McDormand is a recently widowed woman dealing with the death of her Nevada town, jobless and homeless after the manufacturing plant that is its primary employer closes down and the town ceases to exist. Living out of a van, she takes seasonal work and lives a nomadic life, driving across America's west along with a large group of other, mostly older, nomads. McDormand gives one of her best ever performances among a cast that otherwise almost entirely features non-actors who are real life drifting nomads (with David Strathairn the sole other professional, as another nomad who grows close to McDormand). The movie meanders in a most enjoyable way, with shots of astonishing beauty of the American countryside. The Best Picture Oscar favourite and top of many film critics' best of 2020 lists, I wouldn't disagree with them. A fantastic film.
Nomadland is the best film of 2020 so far for me, just a beautifully told piece of work.

Super keen to see Corpus Christi.

Watched Alien night. So good. I remember my Mum saying this first came on TV when I was a newborn. My Dad was out of town and I kept her up late so she watched this. Scared the crap out of her. Still holds up. Completely forgot John Hurt was the first to have his chest burst open.

Last edited:
Wonder Woman 1984. This is...not a good movie. Way too drawn out for a standard sequel, nonsensical plot device, overwrought attempt to create some sort of narrative heart that is just empty, and some wildly ropy special effects. The only thing that could have saved it is lots of Gal Gadot in the outfit and we didn't get it :(
I keep reading similar criticisms about this one, yet Black Panther had pretty much the exact same issues and was nominated for Best Picture.

Hmm...

Everybody Knows.

A Spanish drama/thriller with Penelope Cruz. Really did enjoy it, if not for the disappointing ending. Still retained my interest throughout and a great performance by Cruz. The Spanish language really is lovely- and Spanish ppl sound better speaking Spanish, than English. Well obviously.

7/10
Seen Pain and Glory? Another Spanish film with Cruz and Antonio Banderas that came out in 2019 (I think?). Was brilliant.

watched a bit of Focus just now. Love that movie and especially the scene at the Super Bowl with the Asian gambler.

Classic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still watching it, halfway thru....THE CABIN IN THE WOODS....unusual movie, layers of thriller/horror/comedy, always one or two weird unexpected things happen in every scene.
Good movie. Never did quite work out the tone or what it was going for, but I was entertained.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

I keep reading similar criticisms about this one, yet Black Panther had pretty much the exact same issues and was nominated for Best Picture.

Hmm...
Black Panther is very overrated, has ropy special effects and an average ending, but it has a better narrative heart, a better villain and better performances. And it isn't 150 mins long (135, could have done with a cut, but still...).

Hmm...
Don't get your hopes up, I saw Ww1984 last night, felt like the producers said here's what happened inbetween the war & now, and left us saying 'who asked?' 🤷‍♂️

It felt about an hour too long, with a story that wasn't needed. The last movie wrapped it all up well, and It didn't add to that original story, which I enjoyed.

I liked the callback to the comic and TV show.
Invisible Jet & Lynda Carter
Even though it was set in 1984, I didn't think it was necessary to use CGI from the same time, it was like watching the original Superman movie in parts.

The Dry.

Pretty good film, I love the rural Australia setting films. The general concept of the story about a modern crime and recalling of an older crime set in rural Australia is very popular these days though, almost a bit cliche.

Acting was good I thought. Bana really felt like the self assured outsider.

I "figured it out" pretty early on, something I never do so maybe they made it a bit obvious? I don't know.

A few weird things bugged me, referring to Falk (Federal Police) as a "Federal Agent" is not language I've ever heard in Australia. And the scene with the woman shooting a single rabbit like that would make a difference didn't ring true with me either, a farmer would not waste their time. And one local cop investigating a double murder/suicide? Ok.
and how the initial investigation concluded suicide when he would have had clear head injuries from the rock, and why he drove away so far too shoot himself, etc. Was the book that bad?

3 Stars.

Last edited:
Black Panther is very overrated, has ropy special effects and an average ending, but it has a better narrative heart, a better villain and better performances. And it isn't 150 mins long (135, could have done with a cut, but still...).
That's what I meant. Just find it funny that most of the issues I had with BP are similar to the issues everyone seems to have with WW (which I'll admit I haven't seen), yet there was near unanimous gushing over the former, while the latter is getting slammed.

The Good Liar.

Ian McKellen and Helen Mirren. McKellen is a con artist and meets Mirren on a dating site and tries to con her too. But things don't quite go to plan.

3.5/5

I was disappointed with The Good Liar. McKellen was ok but there was nothing for Mirren to get her acting chops into. The script was clumsy in the way it dealt with the twists. And the whole thing felt very flat.

4/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back