Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WITHOUT REMORSE - solid non-thinking action/spy flick that looks to set up the John Clark Clancy character going forward. I'd say 7/10 - there are a couple of moments when it completely jumps the shark

When he basically single handedly fights off the entire Russian police force/army when they are trapped in the building in Murmansk
What platform is this on? Or cinema?

Land - Robin Wright stars in her own feature directorial debut, about a woman who moves to a cabin deep in the woods of the Pacific Northwest, running from an unnamed tragedy in her life. Throwing her phone in a bin and having her car removed, she seeks to live a totally solitary existence, despite being totally ill-prepared for such a life. The landscape is stunningly beautiful (although I'm not sure why she chose to shot in the frustratingly narrow 1.66:1 aspect ratio, which doesn't really allow it to immerse you), and Wright is a top performer who's willing to be bold in her performance, but the decision to withhold information that would allow for greater emotional resonance throughout until the very end of the movie means it all feels like a muted, albeit pretty, affair.

Wrath of Man - strangely similar critique to the above in that it's ruined by a decision to withhold key motivators to its characters until later in the movie. Guy Ritchie has always been a stunningly unappealing director to me, aside his promising debut 23 years ago, but I initially was quite enjoying this - dumb and silly it may be, but it was solid entertainment and Statham is game as the quiet, mysterious badarse in the Eastwood mould. And it ends well with a strong action setpiece. Sadly the Second Act totally ruined the movie for me, jumping around the place in the chronology over a solid half hour or more of the movie to explain the motivations of a number of its characters, it just totally kills the momentum of the movie and just dragged on for far too long. The film would have done better to either tell the story in chronological order, or intersperse this middle section throughout the film, as it was it just absolutely killed it for me, and is another showing that Ritchie, for all that he loves the stylistic flair, can't tell a story through film for the life of him.

THE FRAMING OF JOHN DELOREAN

Didn't know any of the story which made it interesting but for mine the scene recreations with Alec Baldwin added absolutely nothing to the film and just subtracted from what was an interesting story. 6/10

Willys Wonderland (2021)
In exchange for getting his car fixed,Nicholas Cage is given the job of cleaning up the now defunct Willys Wonderland,a theme park where murder and mayhem have previously ensued.
Armed with mops and energy drinks,he takes on the demonic puppets.
Not the worst horror/comedy,gets an extra 1/2 star because Nick doesn't speak for the whole movie.
3.5 stars

Last edited:
Hell or High Water

Love that bleak redneck setting.

One of my favourite more recent movies. Great soundtrack as well.

Part of the Sheridan Frontier trilogy.

Sicario and Wind River are the other 2 if you’ve not seen them can highly recommend. Especially wind River which is criminally underrated.

Sicario and Wind River are the other 2 if you’ve not seen them can highly recommend. Especially wind River which is criminally underrated.

The last great Hollywood movie IMO.

Say what you will about Harvey Weinstein but things went to s**t when he went down. Man could produce a movie.

Both great as well expecially Wind River. Sheridan did very well since dying in Sons of Anarchy. He was was on of the most interesting characters there as well. But his director works has proven he knows where he is best at. Love all his work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure 30 minutes is really long enough to pass judgement on a movie personally.
Long enough to know you don’t want to watch it. Not long enough to give it a 0/10.

Spot on above too about wind river, such a brilliant and underrated film. Jeremy renner is great in it. He’s done some quality flicks, hopefully he can do more of them instead of playing comic Robin Hood.

Kept Woman (Prime)

A made for tv movie about a guy who abducts his neighbour and keeps her in his 50s-styled basement. I really enjoyed this. 7/10.

Unhinged 2020 Russell Crowe

Quite frankly I found this movie very disappointing.
3/10

I became somewhat invested in the first 20 minutes, but the movie falls apart after that. I wasn't really sure what I watched. If I compare it to Falling Down this movie is trash. There is no back story for Crowe, and I feel the movie is completely lacking in content.

Crowe was great at being a complete nut case, but I fell this movie has been done many times before and much better. I thought the casting was terrible with the exception of Crowe and the young boy. Jimmi Simpson didn't get much opportunity. He's better than that role.

Last edited:
finally got around to watching Unhinged last night, hadnt read reviews before hand, wish i had, the Rachel character was annoying and possibly one of the dumbest characters out there, even the wife was yelling at the TV
Unhinged.

Russell Crowe plays a psycho road rager. It's one of those crappy movies that creates cheap tension by having the victim make a series of dumb decisions.

3/10.

Contrary to some reports Crowe didn't wear a fat suit.

View attachment 1040147

The casting was terrible. Possibly due to Covid. To have such talent as Crowe along side some very mediocre actors was painful. Jimmi Simpson didn't get a look in with his role. Rachel was terrible, as bad as watching Iris in The Flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back