Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

Riders of Justice (2020). Danish with subtitles.

Mads Mikkelsen plays a hard-nosed army veteran. He teams up with three oddballs to investigate the death of his wife. There are sad moments, there's laugh out loud comedy, there's some good action sequences. Mikkelsen is superb in the leading role but the other main characters are well fleshed out. I really recommend this movie.

8/10

Correct and you've gotta rate them for what they are.

Watching Shrek you're never going to leave the cinema with the same impact and thought provoking as Inception, but you don't compare them against each other.

It's like there's a rating out of 10 but each genre and style has its own things that make their movies good or not.
It's not even necessarily between genres. It's just about, did this movie set out to do what it wanted to, as good as possible?

It wanted to be funny, was it?
It wanted to be smart, was it?
It wanted to be emotional and dramatic, was it?
It wanted to be action packed, was it?
It wanted to be erotic, was it?

Etc, etc.

Yes, Terminator 2 was an action packed sci fi themed movie with dramatic elements, and it ******* knocked them all out of park. 10/10. Terminator Genesys probably wanted to as well, but, the action was bad, the sci fi was there, I guess? the drama wasn't, at all. The best bit was actually Arnold's comedic moments. Probably not one of the intentions, to crossover in to comedy. 3/10, I guess?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

It's not even necessarily between genres. It's just about, did this movie set out to do what it wanted to, as good as possible?

It wanted to be funny, was it?
It wanted to be smart, was it?
It wanted to be emotional and dramatic, was it?
It wanted to be action packed, was it?
It wanted to be erotic, was it?

Etc, etc.

Yes, Terminator 2 was an action packed sci fi themed movie with dramatic elements, and it ******* knocked them all out of park. 10/10. Terminator Genesys probably wanted to as well, but, the action was bad, the sci fi was there, I guess? the drama wasn't, at all. The best bit was actually Arnold's comedic moments. Probably not one of the intentions, to crossover in to comedy. 3/10, I guess?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
Yep couldn't agree more. That's how I rate movies too, you've explained it better than I.

No Time to Die… perfectly good movie and a satisfying way to close out the Craig era, but lacked that extra something to take it over the top like Skyfall. Nice use of some of the Bond tropes like secret islands and disfigured bad guys, the scenes with Christoph Waltz were the best of the film, Ana de Armas was something special and the end fight scene was suitably tense. Rami Malek was ok but his character wasn’t fleshed out enough to make him feel like the final big threat. And it was noticeably long, which is never a good thing. Same with Spectre, though this time I felt the action flowed better rather than the story being set around obvious action set pieces. 7.5/10.

I certainly wouldn’t call No Time to Die a snoozefest; I thought the action scenes were largely very well done. I think Quantum is worse as is Spectre; that felt more like a series of action pieces with a narrative tacked on around it and the Blofeld twist just terrible. An attempt to replicate the personal drama of Skyfall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Capricorn One

One of my favourite 70s films, it has all the great elements of a 70s film with the government conspiracy angle.

A who's who of some of the best 70's actors and actresses of the time.

James Brolin, Hal Holbrook, Elliott Gould, Karen Black, Sam Waterston, Brenda Vaccaro and OJ Simpson.

The Northman. Its a mix of Lion King, Gladiator, The Fountain, the video game Hellblade and Dead Man. Its also ******* awesome.

Loved it! Makes you feel like you could run through walls afterwards.

Typically shot Robert Eggers movie but on a grand scale.

Operation Mincemeat (2021)

What is essentially a fictionalized account of a fictional moment in WW2 is fun but ultimately forgettable. The cast is a stellar lineup of actors led by ably Colin Firth and gives the film the gravitas that fine actors do, but somehow it just doesn't stick the landing. I remember seeing an old B&W movie version about this back in the day, which I feel was better. But it was a daring plan, and thank God it worked. 6/10 (above average)

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore (2022)

Wow, this movie is proof of the law of diminishing returns. Good CGI, settings, and costumes, but what a dull story. 4/10 (below-average)

Last edited:
The Platform
A Spanish movie about a ****ed up torture prison where access to food depends on what level you are on.
Decent enough

Project Power
Paint by numbers super powers from illegal drugs with cops and crims in New Orleans
Popcorn flick

Chronicle
Never saw it at the time it came out. the everything from a camera at the scene perspective was forced and s**t

Nomadland
Finally watching it. That s**t makes me angry. So many people living out of there cars, happens here too.
A well made film, depressing though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back