Where do we draw the line on acceptable behaviour from politicians or potential politicians?

Remove this Banner Ad

Which is simply why candidates should themselves be trawling through any online profiles they have and expunging anything that could be used to hurt them before anyone else can. In fact, you'd think this would be fundamental to the process of a party selecting a candidate.

One other problem with how it’s going down now though is most of what The Liberal Candidates were saying back then was part of The Party platform. It was called “freedom of speech”. Then a certain NZ terrorist incident occurred and now they need to retrospectively retract their statements.

Last edited:
What happened to George Brandis' everyone has the right to be a bigot? Strikes me that if the Liberal Party hadn't entered government six years ago with that attitude, they might not be facing the hiding they're about to receive.
You mean like how they said they adults are in charge, the age of entitlement is over, and we need to stop this debt and deficit disaster?

Even seven years ago and I know he is fairly young still he must have had some inkling that politics may be in his future in which case don't write dumb stuff on the web that will bite you on the arse at some point in the future.
Agreed. On BF I’m anonymous. On FB I’m not.

I have no intention of running for office but if I did, I’m reasonably confident I haven’t written anything stupid under my real name on FB.

Can’t be too hard surely.

Even seven years ago and I know he is fairly young still he must have had some inkling that politics may be in his future in which case don't write dumb stuff on the web that will bite you on the arse at some point in the future.
It more than that I went to uni with Joe Hockey and a few other on both sides they all said and did some stupid things and wrote some pretty ordinary articles in Honi Soit. Yet none of this stopped them entering public life, its almost like they will crucify someone for what they did in primary school now.

Agreed. On BF I’m anonymous. On FB I’m not.

I have no intention of running for office but if I did, I’m reasonably confident I haven’t written anything stupid under my real name on FB.

Can’t be too hard surely.
No one's really anonymous if enough effort is made.

It more than that I went to uni with Joe Hockey and a few other on both sides they all said and did some stupid things and wrote some pretty ordinary articles in Honi Soit. Yet none of this stopped them entering public life, its almost like they will crucify someone for what they did in primary school now.
I know a librarian from Fisher Library and he says many years ago someone went through and tore out every single reference to Tony Abbott from their archive of Honi Soit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's good advice for everyone, not just aspiring politicians, to be mindful of what you attach your name to online.

Some of the **** that people post seems crazy to me.

Yes it's one of the most important things that I continually speak with my daughters about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back