List Mgmt. Where does our improvement come from in 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

A 20% lift in each of the following areas- grammar, spelling and punctuation.
Posters to offer more objective and articulated responses with less spite.
Understand that there is no such role as a crumbling forward.
How did I miss this little gem? Well done Ted.

Apart from injury which is hard to predict I think a lot of the above is entirely possible without even having to rely too much on the newer talent we have on our books, Stephenson, Murphy, Murray, Kirby Daicos Browns McLarty etc.....two or three of them advancing ahead of expectations in 2018 will be a bonus.

Dont see too many in decline due to advancing years..... Mayne and Blair the two obvious ones and maybe Goldsack will struggle to meet last years high standards. Some are calling Pendlebury to be on the downward slope but I dont see that just yet.

As for other improvement, I'm not a big believer in game plans....the game plan solves foritself if the team is gelling and has adequate skills and fitness andexperience. But one clear area we can improveon is goalkicking, especially set shots. That cost us in the early part of 2017.

A/ If half of all that comes to fruition, we'll be contending for top 4

B/ If the skills improve to the required standard see A/

Player improvement , better years from pendels , AT , Reid , Grundy. Crisp , Adams , Maynard , Jdg I expect all to be in all Australian calculation including Sidey and Howe
That's how good we could be

This is where the frustration comes from, we should be contending! you could argue the current position is by and large due to extremely poor management and development. There are even opposition posters on the main board who can see the potential so far from reached in the "Could Collingwood do a Richmond" thread. And though most opp posters view us as a genuine bottom 6 team but that's because we've been poor for so long that the potential for so many is a distant memory.

And I'll say it again, the potential is there - unlocking it is the end game. Finally this pre season there is issue addressing and hopefully that will see that potential realized.

Improvement to come from better ball movement into the forward line. This was our achilles heel last year. Our backs stood up pretty well overall and certainly won their fair share of contests.

It was forward of centre where we were awful. We have mostly good users of the ball through the midfield; yes Maynard will spray it from time to time, but even so, he's a better bet by foot than Tay Adams. Having Adams play back could be significant. Two generals down there to help Moore is sensible.

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss Murray. I resisted the hype until I actually saw him in match conditions. He is lightning fast and breaks the lines; exactly what we need.

I don't expect anything from Oxley and Broomhead. If they step up I will be delighted, but also most surprised.

The chopsticks (Murphy & Stephenson), will play senior footy this year. Real talents both of them.

Varcoe and Wells: We know how good Wells is and he has been very carefully managed over summer. I don't think I've seen him do a full session yet which is a good thing. Varcoe's experience and ball use inside 50 is crucial. If Varcoe has an injury free year, Collingwood improves.

Knocking on the door of the eight is my prediction. If Buckley finally gets some luck, we could surprise.

Just because we got a second rounder back doesn't mean we didn't give up two firsts for Treloar.

Just as the fact we got a 2nd back doesn't mean he cost us 2 1st rounders.

Geez DP I love your enthusiasm

10 Collingwood players in AA contention would be extraordinary. Also outrageous, egregious, preposterous. Hope you are right.
Thank you lawyer Jackie C.

Did I say you could use a balm...

TBH our whole list management has been pathetic since Buckley has been at he helm. Not saying it's his fault at all but just a timeline .

4 first picks of the draft under Malthouse
Pendles - A grader
Sidebottom - A grader
Daisy - A grader
Beams - a grader

During bucks time 4 first rounders
Sharenberg - zero return
Freeman - zero return
treloar - a grader

Shows you the difference of forming a flag list compared to going backwards
Interesting point.

Are we including Roach, Fraser, Egan, Cole.

Some good some not so good.

And can I add, no more references to 'the Leigh Brown role'... The only person who can play that role is Leigh Brown himself...
Post of the year candidate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep and all those guys were cleared out before out next flag..

Fraser was a Collingwood player in 2010 so technically incorrect!!

He was also a loyal servant and a good quality 200 gamer. Never the same after he copped a minor but chronic knee injury. Was never supported by Malthouse who played him as afirst ruck against bigger opponents. Would have played the "Leigh Brown" role with better list and player managment

Yep and all those guys were cleared out before out next flag.

My point is if you want a flag list drafting needs to be on point like it was leading up to 2010. Our drafting recently leaves a lot of be desired.
Fair point.

Even with goal posts moving

By having our best players on the park, fit and healthy every week.
That’s were our improvement will come from. If we don’t have that, it will be a long winter of footy

I don’t think we have the forward line to improve. We look terrible without a quality full forward. We are going to struggle to kick decent scores.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back