Which club has the smallest supporter base?

Remove this Banner Ad

Edgbaston

Draftee
Sep 14, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Be interested in an honest answer from around all 18 teams.
What would would % of members would be from the home city.
I.e. would north be 25k of their 42k of members be Melbourne based? I.e. Tasmania 7/8k for North and 3k for WA

Secondly that leads into what attendence would be home fans in a non finals for a big local game and then an out of state.

I.e.
North home fans 30k Vs Essendon
15k Vs Gold Coast

Hawthorn for example might 25k Vs Port
And 50k Vs Geelong?

Not sure why Hawks are linked in here, they have over taken Carlton & Essendon and now sit alongside Collingwood & Richmond as The Big 3 Vic based power clubs of the AFL.

fwiw

North are easily he lowest supported of the traditional clubs..

1 North
2 Port
3 Dogs
4 Freo
5 Saints
6 Melbourne

Cant just look at club memberships when determining support, AFL & MCC membership base come into it.

Not sure why Hawks are linked in here, they have over taken Carlton & Essendon and now sit alongside Collingwood & Richmond as The Big 3 Vic based power clubs of the AFL.

fwiw

North are easily he lowest supported of the traditional clubs..

1 North
2 Port
3 Dogs
4 Freo
5 Saints
6 Melbourne

Cant just look at club memberships when determining support, AFL & MCC membership base come into it.

Port and Freo are easily more supported than any of the bottom 4 Vic clubs, with probably only the Saints challenging.

Port and Freo are easily more supported than any of the bottom 4 Vic clubs, with probably only the Saints challenging.
The Saints have a bit of a base, they just struggle with success to bring them out.

North Melbourne and arguably the Dogs would be my lowest Vic teams.

The biggest latent supporter bases are still easily Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond.
Hawks are up because they have amazing success over the last 40 years and you can add them too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Saints have a bit of a base, they just struggle with success to bring them out.

North Melbourne and arguably the Dogs would be my lowest Vic teams.

The biggest latent supporter bases are still easily Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond.
Hawks are up because they have amazing success over the last 40 years and you can add them too.
Another supporter posted stats above, but in terms of Vic teams, it's North at the bottom with 226,000, followed by Melbourne on 242,000, daylight to the Dogs at 279,000 and Saints at 297,000.

After these ones, it's daylight again to the Hawks.

The Pies and Essendon are easily up top for Vic clubs

This is my list of support of people who actually watch, consume, take an interest in football tally of support and does not include Gun to my head name a team but couldn't name more than 3 players types.

West Coast
Collingwood
Essendon
Carlton
Adelaide
Richmond
Hawthorn
Sydney
Geelong
Fremantle
Port
St Kilda
Brisbane
Western Bulldogs
Melbourne
North
GWS
Gold Coast

Another supporter posted stats above, but in terms of Vic teams, it's North at the bottom with 226,000, followed by Melbourne on 242,000, daylight to the Dogs at 279,000 and Saints at 297,000.

After these ones, it's daylight again to the Hawks.

The Pies and Essendon are easily up top for Vic clubs
The Roy Morgan data? Im both surprised and not surprised Melbourne is so low.

The best way to measure true support nationally for clubs is to count the social media numbers, followers for all of their SM channels. This gives a real genuine idea of support, who can be bothered to do this?

For example I know the Blues have huge support inner Melbourne, we have some solid support throughout Tassie as well. Essendon big support inner Melbourne as well as Bendigo and QLD. Pies have really wide spread support as do Richmond. Hawthorn has widespread support, a lot in the east of Melbourne but also huge support in Tassie and WA.

Can someone give totals for all clubs IG/Twitter and FB?

The best way to measure true support nationally for clubs is to count the social media numbers, followers for all of their SM channels. This gives a real genuine idea of support, who can be bothered to do this?

For example I know the Blues have huge support inner Melbourne, we have some solid support throughout Tassie as well. Essendon big support inner Melbourne as well as Bendigo and QLD. Pies have really wide spread support as do Richmond. Hawthorn has widespread support, a lot in the east of Melbourne but also huge support in Tassie and WA.

Can someone give totals for all clubs IG/Twitter and FB?
From Twitter the followers are:
Adelaide
150000​
Collingwood
132000​
Essendon
131000​
Carlton
111000​
Port
104000​
Sydney
98400​
Hawthorn
96300​
Richmond
95700​
Brisbane
85700​
West Coast
84700​
Geelong
82300​
St Kilda
80400​
Fremantle
75900​
Nth Melbourne
69300​
Western B
64000​
Melbourne
63600​
Gold Coast
56700​
GWS
55600​

Excluding the obvious GC & GWS

Melbourne
Nth Melb
Bulldogs
Saints
Port
Lions
On what ******* planet Port with fewer than the Lions and ACTUAL Sydney fans??

Last edited:
The Roy Morgan data? Im both surprised and not surprised Melbourne is so low.
Yeah feel the exact same about Melbourne. I expected them to be above Dogs and Saints, but also wasn't surprised to see them that low. That period of complete mediocrity really damaged the club's long term outlook.

You guys have short memories only 2 seasons ago Hawthorn had the 3rd largest attendances in the league, and the 5th overall-40 500

Hawthorn has a very big supporterbase these days, it has grown substantially over the past 15 years

In the milliniel era,power and status is everything,why younguns will swap to a club in power.

Also I don’t listen to Roy Morgan.

#weareroymorgansgrandfinal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back