Preview Which of these players is most likely to have a breakout year?

Which player is most likely to have a breakout year?

• Callum Brown

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Josh Daicos

Votes: 58 43.6%
  • Nathan Murphy

Votes: 49 36.8%
  • Rupert Wills

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Tyler Brown

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ben Crocker

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Flynn Appleby

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • Jack Madgen

• Max Lynch

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

From the OP list, Daicos for me. Showed in that game against the Roos how good he could be. Getting his foot in the door will be his biggest issue. Looks to have done the hard yards over the summer and built the body needed to be more competitive at senior level. Has the smarts and skills.

He's marginally ahead of Appleby who is however more likely to get early opportunity to stake a claim.

Then Murphy who is an exciting prospect and will be interesting to see how he goes with another preseason under the belt.

If we dont have injuries i honestly cant see any of these players playing more than 10 games, I havent seen Collingwood have so much depth than we do this year. Its going to be hard to break into the side and it might be hard to keep all these players happy as well.

Same page as me. If all goes well the players named on that list will max out at 6-8 games. When you’re win now ideally you don’t want to be reaching too much into positions 30+ on your list.

In the spirit of the thread, Daicos. He’s received a fair pump up this off-season so he’s the best positioned to have an impact, IMO. Splitting hairs here too, but I also would have gone with Stephenson as the breakout player of 2018. His debut season is the best from a Collingwood player for over 25 years.

When did Mihochek get exposed? In the finals he took some good marks, made some deft moves and kicked opportunistic goals. I would be surprised if Wills turns out to be half as good.
short memory's
Semi final west coast vs pies
Out marked 4 times , we had to move Mayne on to him to recover
He was totally inept that night and didn't provide a contest

MAYNE DID

Josh Daicos for mine, when he has the ball in hand he uses in cleanly most of the time. and the position that he plays if he does/can force his way in then that means one of Prendles / Sidebottom / Dagoey / Adams / Beams / Thomas / Phillips etc misses out.

short memory's
Semi final west coast vs pies
Out marked 4 times , we had to move Mayne on to him to recover
He was totally inept that night and didn't provide a contest

MAYNE DID
I’ll take your word for it.

He kicked 2 - 3 so I thought he was ok, but I’m not inclined to rewatch that game.

Who voted Crocker? Come on show yourself.
Ben is allowed on these boards. o_O

Actually it’s great seeing the various opinions, and this thread has been a very good discussion.

Murphy and Appleby most likely. One of the group will probably jump up a bit especially if we get injuries but at the moment none look like forcing themselves into the best 22 soon.

As such there may be no break out years amongst them. The player I see most likely as having a real break out, which I would define as a sudden large improvement that takes the player from potential to their real level is Darcy Moore.

His stocks dropped last year because of injury alone. In the small cameos of 2018 he looked ready to explode and explode this year is what he will do. Backline with an ability to swing forward and shake things up. Will be a star by seasons end
Stole my thoughts. From what I have seen at numerous pre-season training sessions
- Daicos has really upped his intensity, but may find it challenging to break into the midfield
- Murphy has enormous courage, is good at getting across and spoiling and is generally a pretty neat kick
May be difficult for either to break in and I think Quaynor may get in before Murphy given he gets more of the pill and uses it well. He's also faster than Aish in the small defender role.

I think Moore will be the single biggest factor for our improvement this season. He'll go close to All Australian & Top 5 Copeland if he stays on the park - with the signs good so far in terms of doing all the training and at full tilt. He's a lovely kick, courageous, quick and a fine reader of the play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps defense is the easiest to get into with our history of injury prone players there.

Gee, what a sign of the times!

This time last year our forward line was real flakey - hanging on Elliott and Fasolo having great seasons (didn’t happen). Blair at age 28 had played 12 games in 2017 and was at a make-or-break stage of his career (ended up being delisted). Moore was moved to the backline and even there ended up fizzing badly. DeGoey had stuffed up badly with the DUI charge and many were wondering if he would be booted out of the club - was suspended for a bunch of games. Expectations of Thomas were low having been out of the game for two years and still working his way back. Mihicek was a mature age rookie backman. Stephenson was a first year player behind Callum Brown.

Things can change very quickly!

I voted for Ben Crocker. I think he has some great talent for strong overhead marks and making space on the forward line. I just hope he tidies up some of his kicking and decision making. That last VFL final was not a good look, but I think he has the potential to be a regular in the team.

I hope that Nathan Murphy, Josh Daicos and Callum Brown have a breakout year too!

Crocker was captain of Chargers back when they were Premiers and had players like DeGoey and Moore in the team, so he must have some leadership qualities. He’s shown that on his day he can be a very safe pair of hands (but so did Oxley). He’s clearly slow, but he wouldn’t be the only AFL player with that problem.

He needs to maximise his strengths and find a gamestyle that doesn’t expose his weaknesses.

If Rupert Wills can have a big year it will be the Bear and Bull show.

Caveat: Rupert needs to be less bronze and more live bull

6F91EEE2-AA7C-4E57-8E45-5F7F8DA96F8F.jpeg

Daicosssss. I have big expectations this season for daicos and one I was gonna keep a close eye on, luckily for us we haven't needed to as he has been a standout and made himself noticed by himself.

He came to us an undeveloped classy ball user but since last season he has surprised me with his work ethic, dedication and motivation which has continued into this off/pre season. He never drops his head and is always on the chase as you can see in the pre season vids as well as him leading many or amongst the front runners, honorable mentions to cal brown in this regard too.

With less exposure to elite programs gives more room for improvement and being part of one has clearly lit a fire in Josh and that is what's gonna take him to the next level. All teams have got games into their smalls and the position is still there for him, play him on the bench where he can come on against the ops 2nd string unit or wing/flank and part of the rotation allowing Treloar/Thomas ect the chance to go into the mid or forward.
Also when someone one chops the pretty boy hair and rocks up to preseason with the "Theseus "Myllos" reminiscent of
Hrysoulakis they mean business. Gimp must of got in his ear, approaching God status re

If Rupert Wills can have a big year it will be the Bear and Bull show.

Caveat: Rupert needs to be less bronze and more live bull

View attachment 617966

It will be bloody ...

images

images

(This glorious and visceral statue is in Pamplona)

Gee, what a sign of the times!

This time last year our forward line was real flakey - hanging on Elliott and Fasolo having great seasons (didn’t happen). Blair at age 28 had played 12 games in 2017 and was at a make-or-break stage of his career (ended up being delisted). Moore was moved to the backline and even there ended up fizzing badly. DeGoey had stuffed up badly with the DUI charge and many were wondering if he would be booted out of the club - was suspended for a bunch of games. Expectations of Thomas were low having been out of the game for two years and still working his way back. Mihicek was a mature age rookie backman. Stephenson was a first year player behind Callum Brown.

Things can change very quickly!
Frontline is still a bit thin spread in terms of talent but as a collective they did very well.
We got enough players ( Mayne, Brown, Daicos, Broomhead to name a few ) that can play the role of the pressuring mid size fwd to support the swoop squad and for players the size of Wills only the position of Mihocek comes into mind. We got Roughead and Reid covering that spot.

Same page as me. If all goes well the players named on that list will max out at 6-8 games. When you’re win now ideally you don’t want to be reaching too much into positions 30+ on your list.

In the spirit of the thread, Daicos. He’s received a fair pump up this off-season so he’s the best positioned to have an impact, IMO. Splitting hairs here too, but I also would have gone with Stephenson as the breakout player of 2018. His debut season is the best from a Collingwood player for over 25 years.

He was amazing. But there seems to be some kind of consensus on BigFooty (or at least in the main board) that a first year player doesn't count as a "breakout" player, which is possibly why someone like IQ wasn't included in the OP.

If first year players were included, I'm sure many of us would be nominating Quaynor.

He was amazing. But there seems to be some kind of consensus on BigFooty (or at least in the main board) that a first year player doesn't count as a "breakout" player, which is possibly why someone like IQ wasn't included in the OP.

If first year players were included, I'm sure many of us would be nominating Quaynor.

The reason IQ wasn’t included in the OP is because nobody has seen him play a game of footy yet (AFL or VFL or JLT or even practice match) ...

... and whilst the hype around draftees having a breakout season can sometimes be very well justified (Stephenson) they’re very often not (Kirby, Kennedy, Moore, DeGoey, Freeman, Scharenberg, C.Brown, Broomhead, etc, etc) and given nobody has seen them play a game of footy by this stage of their career then talk of a breakout is a bit moot.

Last edited:
Reminds me of watching Okeefe playing early on. I would close my eyes when the ball approached him and hope for the best. The crowd noise always a good indicator. Crocker can take a grab, think he needs more grunt, and second efforts. Still better AFL ability than all of us on here.

I'm also a little worried for both C Brown & J Daicos. Both these guys identical in height and weight. One is more defensive and the other more attacking. Both will struggle to cement a spot not out of skill or effort, just a super strong list with the likes of IQ, Wills, Murphy?, Reid all waiting to strike. Maybe we can even rest Stephenson for a week this year if injuries permit.

Sucks not fitting all the kids in. Just watched the pies v tiges final again. Come on the real stuff. I must be a little annoying on here posting so much. Struggling to compose my self.

Back