Which player had you convinced they would become a star...but never came close?

Remove this Banner Ad

Any evidence here? It sounds interesting...
Knew his training partner, evidence would be pretty difficult even if it wasn't a long ass time ago. Would hardly have been a rare case in those days, plenty of horse roids getting used in the 80's/early 90's.

Cant believe he hasn't got a mention all thread, DEAN POLO!

From memory his debut was unbelievable, 30 touches and I believe 3 Brownlow votes against the Saints at the G? I think maybe his first 5 or 6 games were unreal too, but he just kind of faded into obscurity after that.
Essendon in the Dreamtime game. BOG with 28 odd touches and 3 sausage rolls.

He was terrific to watch when he had the ball in his hands. Clearly didn't do the work and I think his knees were stuffed pretty early on.
He was, was a beautyful kick of the ball as well, his knees when stuffed as he was over weight and lazy, post fall ball life he ballooned out to be huge making Michael long look quite skinny

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was, was a beautyful kick of the ball as well, his knees when stuffed as he was over weight and lazy, post fall ball life he ballooned out to be huge making Michael long look quite skinny
Put them together and they're still only half the size of Derek Kickett, Darren Jarman or Lance Whitnall :D

Btw people in this thread saying Higgins and Wells is a bit silly. They are currently two of our most important playmakers in a team that is competing for a flag. Wells before he was injured for two straight years was BnF and in the few games he has played in the last two years he has starred for us in finals, when it matters. He has come back this year and been incredible, All Australian form arguably. Higgins was unlucky to miss out on All Australian last year in a top 4 side, having the most consistent season in a career, which to that point, was plagued by injuries.
Sure they might be late bloomers, but they both have become incredibly consistent match winners for our side.

A young Shaun Higgins, then injuries mainly affected him and he never really took off. Might be able to carve out a decent career at North now.
I wasn't overly happy when we got him but that changed very early in the piece last year. Always knew he could play the game but questioned his ticker and I couldn't of got it more wrong.

When David Mackay had a fantastic game in the 2009 semi final I was convinced he would be a star for many years to come.

6 seasons of football that could perhaps be generously described as 'mediocre at best' later ... sigh.

I refer to him as "Mr Average", as he's possibly the most mediocre, MOR, nothing player getting a regular game at AFL level today. He's like a generic "Create-a-Player" in a video game, before its been customised.

With most players, even if they are flawed, they have a noticeable weapon or skill or physical attribute they can hang their hat on. I don't really see what that is with Mackay.

Btw people in this thread saying Higgins and Wells is a bit silly. They are currently two of our most important playmakers in a team that is competing for a flag. Wells before he was injured for two straight years was BnF and in the few games he has played in the last two years he has starred for us in finals, when it matters. He has come back this year and been incredible, All Australian form arguably. Higgins was unlucky to miss out on All Australian last year in a top 4 side, having the most consistent season in a career, which to that point, was plagued by injuries.
Sure they might be late bloomers, but they both have become incredibly consistent match winners for our side.

I don't agree with you at all. Good players but they aren't stars.
Wells finished BnF in years you finished 9th and 10 respectively, ie he was the best of a crap bunch.
And Higgins being ALMOST All Australian is hardly a claim to stardom.

How many All Australian teams have these two players made? Zero.
Decent players in a good team, average players in a crap team. But star players will dominate no matter what.
Wells and Higgins are good solid down hill skiers.

I don't agree with you at all. Good players but they aren't stars.
Wells finished BnF in years you finished 9th and 10 respectively, ie he was the best of a crap bunch.
And Higgins being ALMOST All Australian is hardly a claim to stardom.

How many All Australian teams have these two players made? Zero.
Decent players in a good team, average players in a crap team. But star players will dominate no matter what.
Wells and Higgins are good solid down hill skiers.

Wells is a downhill skier,

try again.

I refer to him as "Mr Average", as he's possibly the most mediocre, MOR, nothing player getting a regular game at AFL level today. He's like a generic "Create-a-Player" in a video game, before its been customised.

With most players, even if they are flawed, they have a noticeable weapon or skill or physical attribute they can hang their hat on. I don't really see what that is with Mackay.

Savage :)

I think both are classic examples of this thread. Both had talent to burn, both looked like they could be anything when they were younger, both have consistently been inconsistent across a whole season. Neither has been All-Australian, yet if you look at what they both bring to the table, they should have been by now. Yes they are playing some good footy now, but neither would be considered a star......which is kind of the point of the thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back