Which was better out of the Collingwood and Port wins?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 3, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
I really don't know which game i have enjoyed more this season. the relief factor was HUGE against the pies, and we played absolutely fantastic football for the entire day. finals quality football in fact.

The Port win though was absolutely amazing. Though dirty, it must rank as one of the top come behind victories in our clubs history. a 47 point turnaround in the wet - phenomenal!

Another question: the Port win this year or the Essendon win last year? I reckon Essendon, cause the dons are filthy.

Count the Port win as so much better than the first Collingwood one. I am one of the rare supporters who wasn't that impressed with the Collingwood game. Felt we played pretty well and Collingwood terrible. Out of all our wins the only one that really signals that we are on the way up for me was the Port one.

Really felt that the players stood up with real mental strength and played a brand of footy at the end that was free from fear. The direct kicking into a forward zone where there were Carlton players actually there was fantastic. Further there seemed to be little hesitation in the players minds which is how it should be.

If Carlton can play with a similar structure and game plan to the last quarter against Port I will be very happy. If we do this even if Collingwood play at their best I think we will be a big chance.

The enjoyment factor is such a personal thing. I had to attend a christening for my godson the day we beat the Pies. The family are all Pies supporters and we avoided consecutive loss records, so that was a relief.

The Port win however was hugely satisfying for me. I was sitting next the Port members and after 3Q's of listening to the Blues get bagged and supporters banging those stupid stick balloons together after every Carlton mistake, it was pure bliss to watch silence fall over the crowd and some supporters even start leaving the ground with a couple of minutes to go and goal the difference.

I yelled so much in that last 30 minutes I'm still having difficulty talking today.

To say that one was a better victory than the other would do injustice to the other. Both were fantastic victories for our club.

Collingwood - We led all day and controlled the game from the very beginning. We managed to implement our game plan from the start and never stopped.

Port Adelaide - Whilst it was fantastic to get a win, the first 3 quarters were not pleasing to watch as a supporter. We were terrible, and were quite lucky that we were only 30 points down at 3 quarter time. The last quarter was amazing, and it really makes me wonder what the game would have been like if we had managed to play like that for the first 3 quarters too. After winning something like 1 out of 31 interstate prior to this year, we are now 2 from 2, which is a fantastic achievement.

If I had to split them, I'd probably say Collingwood, just. We played the game, not just the last quarter, on our own terms and controlled the game from the get-go. Also, being against our arch-enemies sweetens it that little bit more.

for me port...simply cause i was there.
3 qtr time i was ready for my 4th ale
thinking that we'd just slide away into oblivion.
couldn't believe it.
Was behind simo for 'that' goal and lent right over to watch the ball
come back and sail thru. High fives all round with all the blue
baggers within arms reach....
awesome.

Hard to say, as both games were completely different. After our first quarter onslaught against Collingwood, I felt that we had their measure most of the day, whereas Port, we turned it on in the last quarter which will go down in history as one the best.

So for mine - the win against Port.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back