Who are the best forward flankers in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Ryan a HFF though? When I've seen him play he's played very deep, a true forward pocket (well, maybe not that true since he tells Kennedy and Darling to get the fu** out of his way while he pulls down screamers lol).

Ryan might be a FP by modern standards but by 90's or earlier standards he's easily a HFF since everyone moves up the field so much these days.

Ryan might be a FP by modern standards but by 90's or earlier standards he's easily a HFF since everyone moves up the field so much these days.
Maybe I just haven't see him play enough but when I think HFF I think guys setting up goals by foot or by hand and kicking goals on the run around the 50 - like your Grays, Cousins, and Boomer Harveys.

When I've seen Ryan play he's been crumbing or taking speccies near goal, but I probably just haven't noticed him pushing up the ground.

Yer Kane Lambert priority gig is to get Dusty a two step space to work in when Martin has drawn a crowd taggers and associated wannabes. When Dusty is one out or resting, Lambert gets to selflessly look after all other team mates. A sort of general injury prevention field officer. Sweet BA offensive or defensive errors seems to be a kept promise. His team mates would consider him gold. My favourite player. I am unaware that this type of game is played by anyone so it is brilliant as it is unique.

McCarthy is probably the only realitively permanent half forward for Lions. Rayner and Bailey spend about 60% of their time at half forward and mids including Zorko, Berry, Lyons and Clugga all rotate through there.
I wouldn't put any of them up as the best in the league at half forward at this point. That's not to say Clugga, Zorko and potentially Rayner are not very good players. I think what it shows is that those players who fill the role of a half forward flanker consistently are rarely stars. If they are, they are generally capable of pushing deeper to kick multiple goals or feature heavily in their clubs midfield rotations.

FWIW I reckon Ben Cousins played half forward possibly even better than he played on ball. Got a ton of it, he would swoop on the pill and kick goals or set them up, and his gut running meant he got to a ton of contests but could also get forward of the ball. Probably best HFF I've seen, along with Gray at his best. Boomer at his best a shade behind.
The Cousins role was known at WC as "HF all over".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back