Who Doesn't Go to Queensland?

Remove this Banner Ad

They were tougher because they didnt work?
They were tougher because they didn't complain about the choice they made. Everybody is a ******* victim these days. Life is tough. Just get on with it. Instead of going on 5star holidays maybe some of these whiners should spend a week or two in a third world country or with people in public housing in their own country to see what doing it hard really means. Six weeks at home with your children while you are months away from giving birth and your husband is away earning squillions while living in your priveleged rich life. Give me a ******* break!!

lol. No. our first two were 18 months apart, the bride raised them on her own without complaint. I’d like to think I helped but was gone at 7am and home 12hrs later. Then two more after a 3yr gap.
She was the one rolling her eyes watching 360 last night.
As I said maybe I’m a dinosaur but life with kids is going to get a lot tougher than this for JR.
Off at 7 back at 7 nice and convenient, let me guess, kids were in bed by 7:30pm

They were tougher because they didn't complain about the choice they made. Everybody is a ******* victim these days. Life is tough. Just get on with it. Instead of going on 5star holidays maybe some of these whiners should spend a week or two in a third world country or with people in public housing in their own country to see what doing it hard really means. Six weeks at home with your children while you are months away from giving birth and your husband is away earning squillions while living in your priveleged rich life. Give me a ******* break!!

They didnt complain because emotional expression was more frowned upon, not because they were tougher.

Who are you (or anyone) to gate keep what constitutes doing it tough? So, people cant complain or have any valid issues unless they live in a third world country?

Needs a gentle reminder sometimes Jack that it’s not all about him. There’s plenty doing it tough st the moment he is actually very lucky that he could make the choice and still get rewarded (financially ) for it.

Pretty poor effort on 360 last night - grow up !!

This I agree.

If nothing else this current environment has exposed many of the current crop of players to be well somewhat self entitled (putting it nicely) if not overpaid.

Spending time in a Gold Coast location for 6 weeks vs soldiers serving in war for extended periods. Wakey wakey!

Why people instantly jump to tear down sports people, I'll never know.
This openness and sensitivity is a major part of why we aren't 'celebrating' a 40 year drought this year and have instead won 2 flags in 3 years.

Tall poppy syndrome

Plus, they think because they have a lot of money, that it means they cant possibly have any problems.

This I agree.

If nothing else this current environment has exposed many of the current crop of players to be well somewhat self entitled (putting it nicely) if not overpaid.

Spending time in a Gold Coast location for 6 weeks vs soldiers serving in war for extended periods. Wakey wakey!

Can we please stop comparing footy players to soldiers in war........ totally different.

I’m proud of Jack for being honest and open, we always say that we want players to be honest and then when they are we smash them for it.

This is you, isn’t it?

View attachment 908073

Hehe...damn it Oprah, I was hoping to keep secret that I was a conjoined twin...at least nobody can be certain which one...

Definitely way too lairy for my taste, but I greatly admire the pattern. :thumbsu:

Absolutely spot on. The Jack I watched last night was a mature, measured, family man who after making a decision with his (as we now know) pregnant wife in consideration of the then circumstances in Victoria, was absolutely devastated to discover less than 24 hours later those circumstances had been changed enormously. Those changes have a massive impact on his family and he is experiencing very real and conflicting emotions. When asked a question Jack answered honestly, sincerely and in consideration of both his circumstances and the debt of gratitude he feels he owes to the club.

This has nothing whatsoever to do about financial status or privilege, this is to do with human emotions and real life. It is absolutely none of our business what/why/how Jack and his wife reached the decisions they made. As other are happily espousing how 'easy' it was for them raising their kids - what was your 'pandemic' like those days?

Luckily for Jack, as a Richmond player his teammates, coaches, and club, are fully aware of his circumstances and will be nothing but understanding, supportive and encouraging during this time. Such a shame more of the club's own fans are not.

Very well said, amc. :thumbsu:

Interesting that nobody complains much about having wonderful Tassie gun key forwards who wear their heart on their sleeves now and again when those big hearts are helping them to dominate the competition.

I dearly hope he runs out to an avalanche of very vocal support from my fellow Tigers in the stands on Sunday, he richly deserves it - he's made this very tough sacrifice for us. :thumbsu:

Can we please stop comparing footy players to soldiers in war........ totally different.

I’m proud of Jack for being honest and open, we always say that we want players to be honest and then when they are we smash them for it.

Fair enough. It is indeed totally different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not just looking after a one-year-old. It's doing with no support from family and friends, and whilst pregnant. Have you been pregnant and had to look after a one year old by yourself before?
we did, raised two kids, with no family in the same state, wife even went back to work after 6 months...
Yes it may be tough, but lets be honest, JR's household wouldn't be without much, so its not tougher than what a lot of people face all the time...

It was different in the old days where women stayed home rather than working though.
Post natal depression wasn't a thing either. I would hate to know how many parents struggled wthout knowing what was wrong. Any single mum or dad raising kids on their own deserves a knight or sainthood in my opinion.

Post natal depression wasn't a thing either. I would hate to know how many parents struggled wthout knowing what was wrong. Any single mum or dad raising kids on their own deserves a knight or sainthood in my opinion.

My grandfather raised 4 kids on his own after his wife died. In a Gen where single dads was almost unheard of, he used to lose friends, get judgements made about him over it. Quite sad really

The ignorant views in here on a parents perceived mental health state are staggering to say the least. Real eye opener. Calling it now if Jack has a stinker the "Well he should have stayed home" calls will come out. Anyone know if Jack's folks or his wives folks are both in Tassy? If so, that is another support network gone for the interim. Easy to sit here and say suck it up because you are well paid.

It's not just looking after a one-year-old. It's doing with no support from family and friends, and whilst pregnant. Have you been pregnant and had to look after a one year old by yourself before?
So where was she likely to get more support, on the Gold Coast with her hubby, and other partners or in Melbourne locked in?

This I agree.

Comparing anyone else to people that chose to be soldiers serving in combat zones is a soft easy option. It's like comparing a jogger to an Olympic runner and saying why don't they toughen up and run that 100m in under 10/11 seconds. They are footballers who signed on to play football in a 'normal' environment, not sit in virtual prisons (nice prisons) to play football.

People in the old days weren't tougher or better. Just a few differences. The whole 'kids these days' thing has been around for thousands of years https://proto-knowledge.blogspot.com/2010/11/what-is-wrong-with-young-people-today.html

Comparing anyone else to people that chose to be soldiers serving in combat zones is a soft easy option. It's like comparing a jogger to an Olympic runner and saying why don't they toughen up and run that 100m in under 10/11 seconds. They are footballers who signed on to play football in a 'normal' environment, not sit in virtual prisons (nice prisons) to play football.

People in the old days weren't tougher or better. Just a few differences. The whole 'kids these days' thing has been around for thousands of years https://proto-knowledge.blogspot.com/2010/11/what-is-wrong-with-young-people-today.html

Yes I must come clean - I'm an old geyser but with a young mind.

Happy to put aside the comparison argument. However I still hold firm that the current unique climate has somewhat exposed professional footballers for a self entitled "it's all about me me me" lot. Now don't get me wrong. I have absolutely no issue with the money they earn - good luck to them. By the way I'm slightly right wing and do support capitalism.

My position is that professional sports people deserve to be well paid because they are best of their breed and they entertain the masses. So entertain. During the recent lock down, due to no fault of their own, the players were unable to entertain and hence had a fair reduction in income. Moving forward, those players (I'm talking all clubs)who choose not to play for whatever reason which is their absolute right, what about their incomes? Interesting times indeed!

I just had a listen to what Jack said and I cannot see anything wrong with it, and I say this as someone who, whilst not completely old school, has no respect at all for weak behaviour. He is just saying what is on his mind at that moment. I don’t have a family but putting myself in his shoes, if my work took me away from a partner and young child for a 5 week stint at shortish notice, then on the day I actually made the journey and settled into my new temporary home, I imagine I would be a bit unsettled. As the days go by you might settle into the new reality, as would your wife and child.

If he was claiming he was hard done by or that nobody ever has to go through anything worse or something along those lines then that might make more sense of some of the comments here about him. He acknowledged his debt to the club:

“But the club has given me so much over my career that I’m truly indebted to them and that’s why I’m here doing my bit for my football club whilst trying to do my bit for my family too.”

There again, I think “messaging” whatever that is, is near irrelevant to performance if it is reduced to what people say publicly on these sort of issues. Behaviours and decisions send the strongest messages, and by a long distance.

Jack discussed this issue at length with his wife and together they decided it was best for him to go. That decision gives a strong message of commitment by not only Jack but by his wife as well.

Dustin Martin re-signing in 2017 prior to the finals was a strong message of affirmation delivered in the form of a decision.

The board backing Hardwick in 2016, same.

Trent Cotchin slamming Shane Mumford into the MCG turf within minutes of the start of the 2019 GF.

Jacob Townsend rag dolling one of the stats brothers in the 2017 GF.

Jack Riewoldt changing to a completely team orientated style of play around 2016/17.....

These are all the the sorts of actions and decisions that send the messages that really matter.

Judging someone’s effect on the team morale or anything else that matters by a few words on TV....just judge him as a TV performer only based on that, that would be fair enough. Judge him as a footballer and team member by his actions and decisions that are relevant to the club’s performance, imo.

Yes I must come clean - I'm an old geyser but with a young mind.

Happy to put aside the comparison argument. However I still hold firm that the current unique climate has somewhat exposed professional footballers for a self entitled "it's all about me me me" lot. Now don't get me wrong. I have absolutely no issue with the money they earn - good luck to them. By the way I'm slightly right wing and do support capitalism.

My position is that professional sports people deserve to be well paid because they are best of their breed and they entertain the masses. So entertain. During the recent lock down, due to no fault of their own, the players were unable to entertain and hence had a fair reduction in income. Moving forward, those players (I'm talking all clubs)who choose not to play for whatever reason which is their absolute right, what about their incomes? Interesting times indeed!

I'm getting on a bit, and absolutely think a competitive capitalism is the best system. However by that I mean one where firms survive and thrive by profitably offering a better product to customers. I despise it when rich people and companies use their power to crush competition and earn economic rents (extra income simply because you have something others don't - usually because you've blocked others from getting access to it). Just because you are rich doesn't make you abetter person. in fact it was Gina and Donald's dads that were the smart ones, they just inherited it.

Anyway, on the players right now. Imagine you were at work and they said, 'right you've got to go to Queensland and stay in a hotel in strict quarantine and do your work.' If you had young kids I could imagine the answer would be - get stuffed. I see them as just normal people, in the spotlight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back