Who Doesn't Go to Queensland?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol can see the generation gaps with the differing views on JRs situation.
I’m old school but can understand why guys like Houli and Edwards stayed back and hold no animosity towards them- family first.
What irks me about Jack is he makes the commitment to go up there and then the very first night gets on 360 and is soooo negative. What about his teammates that are watching or hear about it. He’s supposed to be a leader, ok he’s upset, but keep it yourself, do the team thing.

Lol can see the generation gaps with the differing views on JRs situation.
I’m old school but can understand why guys like Houli and Edwards stayed back and hold no animosity towards them- family first.
What irks me about Jack is he makes the commitment to go up there and then the very first night gets on 360 and is soooo negative. What about his teammates that are watching or hear about it. He’s supposed to be a leader, ok he’s upset, but keep it yourself, do the team thing.
I think what upset Jack was the fact the day after he left everything changed in Victoria .He wasn't upset with the conditions they're staying in .He was a upset with the fact his pregnant wife will be in full lockdown looking after a one year on her own .Both Jack and his wife's families live in Tassie and he has spoken before about not having family support here .

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think what upset Jack was the fact the day after he left everything changed in Victoria .He wasn't upset with the conditions they're staying in .He was a upset with the fact his pregnant wife will be in full lockdown looking after a one year on her own .Both Jack and his wife's families live in Tassie and he has spoken before about not having family support here .

All that may be true but it’s not the forum to be airing his concerns. Don’t reckon Dimma would have been happy, there’s a Premiership up for grabs, the teams focus needs to be on settling into hub life and winning the next 2 games

Jack's a smart guy, no doubt. But even blind Freddie could see a full lock down was coming our way. Maybe not 6 weeks but at least 4. Jack was likely betwixt and between regarding his young family and obligations to the club. It's a tough one but I think once the decision is made, best to keep your feelings under wraps. Then old farts like me can't comment.

Is it really that tough? I know times have changed and all that but really?
Couple of hours away, in the sun, Skype the wife and kids whenever and getting paid plenty.
I’ll prob need a flak jacket on however I don’t like the negative sentiment coming from jack on a 5 star resort in a privileged position when so much of Australia is doing it bloody hard right now , is a poor look and I’d really like to see more positive vibes coming from the playing group

I’m not old but I was embarrassed with jacks comments. It’s not JUST a game for him, it’s his JOB and he’s payed extremely well to do something he loves. I understand he’s got a young family but he just sounded like a pampered sook. Lots have and are doing it tougher than you jack.

we did, raised two kids, with no family in the same state, wife even went back to work after 6 months...
Yes it may be tough, but lets be honest, JR's household wouldn't be without much, so its not tougher than what a lot of people face all the time...
I guess the key phrase there is "we did". Jack''s wife has to do it by herself over the course of the next four-five weeks. Whether his house is with or without much, she's still there by herself. I guess I'm looking at it from my perspective. If my wife was pregnant, and we had a one year old, I personally would find it incredibly hard to leave.

In the end, Jack has decided to leave and put the club first. Yet he still appears to be coping it.

So where was she likely to get more support, on the Gold Coast with her hubby, and other partners or in Melbourne locked in?
I think that's irrelevant, as they left before the lockdown was announced didn't they?

Reports today numerous players from other clubs requested their partners be able to join the Hubs after the changes in Victoria .Maybe Jack isn't the only self entitled spoilt brat in the AFL .

So why are they self-entitled brats?

I think that's irrelevant, as they left before the lockdown was announced didn't they?
How and why was cotch’s family there, they knew the lockdown was coming , we knew , you didn’t need to be Nostradamus , as I said Bacha and Sheds said no and I respect that , jack said yes now he is asking for sympathy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How and why was cotch’s family there, they knew the lockdown was coming , we knew , you didn’t need to be Nostradamus , as I said Bacha and Sheds said no and I respect that , jack said yes now he is asking for sympathy
I assume Cotch, like many other players, asked if his wife and kids could come up? Jack's wife wouldn't have been able to fly up as she's pregnant, then the lockdown happened. Given the situation, I certainly feel for him and his wife.

I'm just a bit surprised by the level of criticism aimed towards him.

I assume Cotch, like many other players, asked if his wife and kids could come up? Jack's wife wouldn't have been able to fly up as she's pregnant, then the lockdown happened. Given the situation, I certainly feel for him and his wife.

How pregnant is she I heard three months , so she can fly, my ex flew from Port Moresby to Melbourne at 7 1/2 months

Should try raising twins!
Anyway, if Jacks heart isn’t in it then he ought to return.
If he’s playing because he feels obligated by the club, then he’s playing for the wrong reasons.

I think this is the thing here, interpretation. Some of us have heard what Jack said and interpreted it as just expressing how he is feeling at the time. I certainly thought that.

Others, like you here seem to have read more into his words. He didn’t literally ask for sympathy did he?

In response to some other things written, not so much what you write, he also didn’t actually say he has a hard life or it is harder than things others go through, or anything like that. Or that he had been wronged in any way. Or that his life is generally not privileged. Nor did he actually say he should be afforded some greater luxury or facility than he had.

On about a day after he and his wife have elected for him to go to the hub and her stay behind with a toddler, the day of the actual travel, he has simply expressed some of the feelings he has and some of the thoughts that have come into his mind. And every one of those thoughts seems understandable in the circumstances, at least to me. And he has done this in response to a direct question specifically designed for him to speak to any negative feelings he may have had towards going to the hub. It is not like they were discussing something else and he has suddenly offered all of this out of the blue.

Again, speaking for myself I would prefer he simply speak his truth. Some would take this sort of thing in their stride no doubt and I would be equally happy for them to express that. What I really don’t think is healthy is to think/feel/believe X is and then give Y as your answer when asked about it. I am definitely not new age but I like people being open. As I said in my earlier post I just think verbal messaging - if that is what you call it - pales into total insignificance next to decision making and behaviour. Jack like many others made a decision that is beneficial to the club’s interests in electing to go into the hub and it is this we should focus on, not the words he speaks about it.

Last edited:
Yep I really dont like it , it’s a team game, he’s up there representing the rfc and he’s pissing and meaning. Honestly he’s not doing anyone any favours being there if he doesnt want to. I reckon the reason dimma was so bullish about getting up there was to change the vibe of the group that was shadowed by what was being sprouted by the leaders

So why are they self-entitled brats?
F****ed if i know .There's plenty of supporter's in here who think the players amd their partners are soft and need too toughen up .Some really disappointing comments about one of our all time great players ,who hasn't let down the club too mamy times in his 267 games .I'm just glad he was around in 2017 busting his arse as the lone key forward in a premiership team .

I just want to hear a positive vibe from the playing group , umm reasonably expect from the leaders. Not hearing it from anywhere else but Adam Simpson . Not too much to ask

F****ed if i know .There's plenty of supporter's in here who think the players amd their partners are soft and need too toughen up .Some really disappointing comments about one of our all time great players ,who hasn't let down the club too mamy times in his 267 games .I'm just glad he was around in 2017 busting his arse as the lone key forward in a premiership team .

Appreciate everything he’s done and yes played a pivotal role in 2017 but comments he made last night on 360 were out of line.

Yep I really dont like it , it’s a team game, he’s up there representing the rfc and he’s pissing and meaning. Honestly he’s not doing anyone any favours being there if he doesnt want to. I reckon the reason dimma was so bullish about getting up there was to change the vibe of the group that was shadowed by what was being sprouted by the leaders
He’s not though. He hasn’t said anything about the conditions he’s been put under. He’s said he’s struggling with the separation which is completely understandable given he had to make a fairly rushed decision. He was probably completely torn. Of course when you reach the point of no return you’re going to second guess yourself a bit. It’s only natural.

Being open on this sort of thing is not only completely acceptable, it’s celebrated within our club as it is what forms the connections upon which our success has been built. And even more importantly than the success of a football club, it is a major way to help reduce the effects of mental health problems. Bottling up negative emotions should no longer be the expectation or norm - all this does is make it worse and worse to the point where it seriously affects your day to day life. Talking about this sort of stuff is vital to help get support and not let a minor issue turn into a big issue. But many people avoid it for fear of being mocked. Hopefully by showing that he can bring it up on national television, Jack encourages his fellow teammates to talk about any issues they may be having - just within the club. It’s been a big move for all of them in a short stretch of time. Some will be fine with it, others not so good. It’s better to let this stuff out now than let it build for 5 weeks.

Not only do I think what Jack said is completely OK, the more I think about it, the more I realise just how powerful it is and how much of a positive impact it can have this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back