Who DON'T you want your team to draft? 2023 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

A new staple of the DTFA board heading into the draft, lets hear about the players you don't want your team to take with their first 1 or 2 picks. Some personal highlights through the years;

AND OF COURSE, links to former threads to enjoy (please do not troll the really bad answers xx);
Lol. I stand by my assessment given the information available then though. His marking was completely and a nice surprise, as is composure and game awareness. Happy to admit I got it wrong!

Praying Watson is gone by our pick. Not overly keen on Sanders, either. He'll be a fine (and perhaps very good) player, but we don't need another contested mid with poor foot skills.

Praying Watson is gone by our pick. Not overly keen on Sanders, either. He'll be a fine (and perhaps very good) player, but we don't need another contested mid with poor foot skills.

Sanders has poor foot skills?

I thought he was one of the best users by foot out of the mids

Sanders has poor foot skills?

I thought he was one of the best users by foot out of the mids
'Poor' may be a bit harsh, but that's the first time I've heard him referred to as one of the draft's best users by foot. Have seen his ball use questioned somewhat regularly in scouting/profile reports, and that's reaffirmed by watching some of his tapes.

Doesn't have a ton of penetration in his kicking and can be a bit untidy at times. As I said, still expect him to be a good player at the top level, but his traits aren't really aligned with what Melbourne needs.

PMBangers my dear friend, would you argue against that assertion re Sanders' kicking?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'Poor' may be a bit harsh, but that's the first time I've heard him referred to as one of the draft's best users by foot. Have seen his ball use questioned somewhat regularly in scouting/profile reports, and that's reaffirmed by watching some of his tapes.

Doesn't have a ton of penetration in his kicking and can be a bit untidy at times. As I said, still expect him to be a good player at the top level, but his traits aren't really aligned with what Melbourne needs.

PMBangers my dear friend, would you argue against that assertion re Sanders' kicking?
I agree he's not the most penetrating kick, but in terms of creativity and accuracy when he's not under pressure I think he's really good, it's just that he doesn't try and break from congestion atm so is often handballing as a first priority or dump kicking. I forget which round it was but against Northern Knights at Trevor Barker Oval late in the season he displayed some really good kicking

I agree he's not the most penetrating kick, but in terms of creativity and accuracy when he's not under pressure I think he's really good, it's just that he doesn't try and break from congestion atm so is often handballing as a first priority or dump kicking. I forget which round it was but against Northern Knights at Trevor Barker Oval late in the season he displayed some really good kicking
That's a much better way of putting it, thank you! I suppose the kicks I've seen on some of the tapes have been those dump kicks under pressure, which reminds me of Melbourne's entire midfield, haha.

Sounds a bit like Oliver was coming into the league – he eventually learned to break away from congestion, but his kicking never really improved alongside that burst from stoppages. Will be interesting to see how Sanders develops.

They’ll target McKercher first. Sanders has been living/playing in Melbourne hasn’t he?

I think it is likely they will target both. Assuming they want to go I don't think the Tasmanian team will have trouble getting them for unders.

A team drafting both of them likely has to back themselves and say "in 4 years time this kid won't want to go back to Tasmania"

No to O'Sullivan or Murphy.

Not because I don't think they will be okay players but just not what we need with our top pick. Much higher priorities.
Any key back for me.
Wingers too. Happy with martin, duursma and durham with others able to chop out too.
Was a need but duursma filled it

Koltyn Tholstrup or Daniel Curtin

Tholstrup game wont transition to AFL unless something drastic happens to his running game and Curtin just wont be anything more then that okayish 3rd tall. Id be surprised if either end up the best W.A player in this draft

Tholstrup game wont transition to AFL unless something drastic happens to his running game and Curtin just wont be anything more then that okayish 3rd tall. Id be surprised if either end up the best W.A player in this draft

Out of interest why do you think Tholstrup's game won't translate to the AFL level?

Duursma. Very talented but just don’t need another marking forward. Not hyped for Curtin either as I’m not sure he has a defined best position.

I have a mate who works in the junior development in WA and he has the almost opposite view of Tholstrup but fairly same view as Curtin.

He said Curtin will play straight away and be a solid 150-200 game player but that Tholstrup will be a slower burn who will end up the best of the WA players from the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back