Who of the current side would get in a revised "Team of the Century"

Remove this Banner Ad

You could probably make an argument for Barnes ahead of the over-rated King; but surely Bourke was way, way better than either of them.
Definately Bourke was the better ruckman. Just went for Barnes on the bench due to mobility and around the ground work. To be honest I was struggling as to whether to choose Bourke or Ottens as the main starting ruck. Bourke was the better tap ruckman of the two.

Great side
4 Father Sons too!
Bews- presumably Andrew.
Having seen Billy Goggin when I first started watching footy, along with Polly Farmer and Doug Wade, I'd have to omit Bartel, Barnes and Corey
Yep I have to stop at 35 years as I wasnt around before then. Are they the only three you would add if we went back to the start of the sixties? Would Nankervis get the back pocket spot ahead of Bews. Is Newman our second best ruck of this era behind Farmer or were Ottens or Bourke better? Does any of Lord, Clarke or Marshall replace any of the others?

Yep I have to stop at 35 years as I wasnt around before then. Are they the only three you would add if we went back to the start of the sixties? Would Nankervis get the back pocket spot ahead of Bews. Is Newman our second best ruck of this era behind Farmer or were Ottens or Bourke better? Does any of Lord, Clarke or Marshall replace any of the others?

Off the top of my head, Clarke would have to go very close to being an instant inclusion.

Agree completely about Bourke. Didn't have the durability, but he's as good a tap ruckman as I've ever seen for Geelong. Lord should be in discussions too.

Walker, Clarke, Newman, Nankervis, Wade and Marshall would all be in my side 1965 to now, as well as Farmer and Goggin.
Remembering always that when comparing players from different eras, you can only measure them by how good they were in relation to their contemporaries; otherwise, sheer size rules out anyone before c.1975, except perhaps Polly would make it as a 3rd tall defender or forward because of his innate leap, skills, athleticism and footy nous.
Lord's 1962 was the equal of Dangerfield's 2016, but he never went anywhere near those heights before or after that.

For what its worth. Best last 35 years;

B: Harley Scarlett Enright
HB: Hinkley Taylor Milburn
C: Turner Bartel Riccardi
HF: Ablett Mooney Ablett
F: Johnson Hawkins Chapman
R: Ottens Dangerfield Selwood
I: Bourke GHocking Ling Corey

Bairstow/Couch/Stoneham all great players, unfortunately I only remember them playing good finals games when we were thrashing opponents; 89 semi/prelim, 92 semi/prelim. When it came to tough games against good opponents, particularly Grand Finals those players tended to go missing. Hence although I think Stoneham was a far more talented player than Mooney I would rather Moons in a grand final against a tough opponent. Having said that Bairstow was badly played out of position in 92 and chasing Matera's dust all day was of no value to winning that game.

For what its worth. Best last 35 years;

B: Harley Scarlett Enright
HB: Hinkley Taylor Milburn
C: Turner Bartel Riccardi
HF: Ablett Mooney Ablett
F: Johnson Hawkins Chapman
R: Ottens Dangerfield Selwood
I: Bourke GHocking Ling Corey

Bairstow/Couch/Stoneham all great players, unfortunately I only remember them playing good finals games when we were thrashing opponents; 89 semi/prelim, 92 semi/prelim. When it came to tough games against good opponents, particularly Grand Finals those players tended to go missing. Hence although I think Stoneham was a far more talented player than Mooney I would rather Moons in a grand final against a tough opponent. Having said that Bairstow was badly played out of position in 92 and chasing Matera's dust all day was of no value to winning that game.
Thats a bit unfair to Couch. Kind of thought Couch was our best in the 94 prelim thriller against Nth after missing the previous week through injury he came back and had nearly 30 disposals and kicked 3 goals as a mid. Likewise in the 92 semi loss against the eagles and 96 qf loss to Nth which I think was close to his last ever game. Had over 30 touches in both of them when the rest of the team was ordinary. Two of his four grand finals were quite poor but was hardly alone.

Which finals did Mooney play well in that wasnt a thrashing? Brownless kicked nearly 60 goals in finals. Averaged 3 goals a game per GF despite playing in losing sides, kicked 8 in an elimination final decided by less then a kick, 6 in an opening half of another final that broke the game our way, 9 goals in another final where we at one point were over 5 goals down. He kicked a match winning after the siren goal in another and a bag of 5 in another. On finals alone he clearly rates ahead of Mooney (in fact he is one of our great finalists over the past forty years). Mooney only played two great finals kicking 5 each but both were 100 point thrashings and most goals came in junk time.

If we include all games and not just finals I have Stoneham ahead of both on talent. Stoneham also didnt play in many finals so harder to mark him on them.

Walker, Clarke, Newman, Nankervis, Wade and Marshall would all be in my side 1965 to now, as well as Farmer and Goggin.
Remembering always that when comparing players from different eras, you can only measure them by how good they were in relation to their contemporaries; otherwise, sheer size rules out anyone before c.1975, except perhaps Polly would make it as a 3rd tall defender or forward because of his innate leap, skills, athleticism and footy nous.
Lord's 1962 was the equal of Dangerfield's 2016, but he never went anywhere near those heights before or after that.
If Polly came through the system today then he'd probably be turned into a big bodied mid tbh.

Last edited:
Thats a bit unfair to Couch. Kind of thought Couch was our best in the 94 prelim thriller against Nth after missing the previous week through injury he came back and had nearly 30 disposals and kicked 3 goals as a mid. Likewise in the 92 semi loss against the eagles and 96 qf loss to Nth which I think was close to his last ever game. Had over 30 touches in both of them when the rest of the team was ordinary. Two of his four grand finals were quite poor but was hardly alone.

Which finals did Mooney play well in that wasnt a thrashing? Brownless kicked nearly 60 goals in finals. Averaged 3 goals a game per GF despite playing in losing sides, kicked 8 in an elimination final decided by less then a kick, 6 in an opening half of another final that broke the game our way, 9 goals in another final where we at one point were over 5 goals down. He kicked a match winning after the siren goal in another and a bag of 5 in another. On finals alone he clearly rates ahead of Mooney (in fact he is one of our great finalists over the past forty years). Mooney only played two great finals kicking 5 each but both were 100 point thrashings and most goals came in junk time.

If we include all games and not just finals I have Stoneham ahead of both on talent. Stoneham also didnt play in many finals so harder to mark him on them.
Having been at that 94 thriller, Buddha was undoubtedly my choice as our best. Couch was good too, but no doubt, Woosha and MM highlighted Buddha as the Cat to stop in the GF, and he was corked in the first minute of play, rendering him very lame.
He got us going, and always played superbly against NM.
Mooney was fantastic v Demons in that final White got his face kicked by King. Played as a KB.
Then those 2 finals you noted.

Yeah Couch did play well in the 94' Prelim, however he played 4 Grand Finals and 4 poor games, I went with the Norm Smith Medalist Bartel instead.
Which finals did Mooney play well in that wasnt a thrashing?
The '09 Grand Final for a start, I also stated that Mooney was a big game player not just in finals.

I picked Hawkins instead of Brownless, Hawkins was a major reason why we not only won the '11 GF but also played well in every final that year. I didn't say anything about Brownless, yes he was a great player and performed well in many finals.
I already said Stoneham was superior in talent, he just didn't perform when we really needed him. He played finals in 89, 91, 92, 96 and 97, only missed 94 and 95.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having been at that 94 thriller, Buddha was undoubtedly my choice as our best. Couch was good too, but no doubt, Woosha and MM highlighted Buddha as the Cat to stop in the GF, and he was corked in the first minute of play, rendering him very lame.
He got us going, and always played superbly against NM.
Mooney was fantastic v Demons in that final White got his face kicked by King. Played as a KB.
Then those 2 finals you noted.
ah yes I forgot about the final against Melbourne. He was fantastic that day. It was as a ruck though. Not a key forward.

both hocking and couch were fantastic that day.

ah yes I forgot about the final against Melbourne. He was fantastic that day. It was as a ruck though. Not a key forward.

both hocking and couch were fantastic that day.
No, he played as a KB. But yes, not a KF.

Seconded Vdubs.
Even without your "TMBS", I experience more than an ample sufficiency these days when it comes to intimations of mortality.
All will die. Expect possibly the generation to reach singularity, those lucky jerks.

Seconded Vdubs.
Even without your "TMBS", I experience more than an ample sufficiency these days when it comes to intimations of mortality.
Nothing at all lacking in your memory reserves Fred.

Yeah Couch did play well in the 94' Prelim, however he played 4 Grand Finals and 4 poor games, I went with the Norm Smith Medalist Bartel instead.
Which finals did Mooney play well in that wasnt a thrashing?
The '09 Grand Final for a start, I also stated that Mooney was a big game player not just in finals.

I picked Hawkins instead of Brownless, Hawkins was a major reason why we not only won the '11 GF but also played well in every final that year. I didn't say anything about Brownless, yes he was a great player and performed well in many finals.
I already said Stoneham was superior in talent, he just didn't perform when we really needed him. He played finals in 89, 91, 92, 96 and 97, only missed 94 and 95.
Brownless played more as a centre half forward then Mooney so you cant just rule out Brownless from that position but include Mooney. Brownless averaged 80 percent more goals per game then Mooney as well as averaging more marks and disposals per game. His finals performances were vastly superior to the point they arent even comparable. mooneys only great final that wasnt in a 100 point thrashing was the Melbourne final when he played ruck not forward. In 09 Gf he did very little. 10 touches, 4 marks and 2 goals. He wasnt horrible given the weather but he certainly wasnt near the bests. The 90s team had a lot of weaknesses compared to the 07 to 11 team but marking forwards was one spot where it was vastly superior.

So its just grand finals you are grading Couch on? 4 games? seems harsh for a player who played 250 plus. 2 of his grand finals were very poor but the other two were ok given the circumstances. Do Couch/Bairstow and Stoneham get to count important non finals games they played well in or is it just the modern players? Seems like you are tad biased towards premiership players.

Me too, but this is only the last 35 years, which rules out Newman and also (just) Mossop and Blake.
?? Mossop finished in 86, which qualifies him, and Blake just, as well as Ian Nankervis who I would have in ahead of Harley for a back pocket

Remove this Banner Ad

Back