Scape Goat Who should we trade?

Remove this Banner Ad

I support this. I'd be leaning towards Worpel being dispensable. I've really liked what O'Meara has done this year. Worpel I've never thought of as elite and definitely not thriving in the system we're trying to develop this year. I also don't think the tagging role is his future. If someone offer a late first rounder for Worpel I'd be taking it and brining in a young talent to hopefully develop as Port & Sydney have. If we run out with Mitchell, Worpel, Sheils & O'Meara as part of our best 22 next year I think it's an opportunity wasted.
For those with knowledge in the U18 talent, is Sonsie the clear third best behind Daicos and Horne ? Who of Sonsie,
Sinn, Chesser, Johnso n& Roberts
gives us the greatest point of difference to our current mids...Sinn (though he's listed as a defender) ??
If we get rolled by the Roos in a few weeks the silver lining might be a crack at Horne (unlikely as it is), he's a taltent like we haven't seen in years.
If we lose to North, the tank is on.

We have too many one dimensional mids, too slow and all the same height.

I would genuinely be open to trading one of Worpel or O'Meara, if we could get another top 10 pick.

Then we could draft Sonsie, Sinn/Chesser/Johnson/Roberts. Alongside pick 21, 22 for perhaps some medium forwards like Howe, Erasmus, Nankervis.

Keep worpel he is young and big part of our future. I think we should let O'meara and Mitchell both go for first round picks.

Would give us a great draft hand to set up our future.

Also not to mention the possible result the picks you get for Mitchell and o’meara dont pan out, you’ve set back the rebuild trading away superior players that bring amazing leadership on and off the field. Our midfield group would be made up of worpel Finn shiels. Not sure that’s gonna give better results then worpel o’meara Mitchell.

Also not to mention the possible result the picks you get for Mitchell and o’meara dont pan out, you’ve set back the rebuild trading away superior players that bring amazing leadership on and off the field. Our midfield group would be made up of worpel Finn shiels. Not sure that’s gonna give better results then worpel o’meara Mitchell.
and if you trade players out that want to stay, our young players will be more likely to jump ship when they are out of contract

If you trade one of o’meara or Mitchell then enjoy 12 goal floggings every week while hoping the late firsts you got for them can develop to be as good as a Brownlow medalist and a top 15 mid at his best.

Not necessarily. If you trade Mitchell as an example and Pick Up say Merrett (who I'm coming around too given he's 2 and half years younger than Mitchell and a hell of lot faster) and Kelly as free agents. You'd actually be miles in front and could take a top 15 mid or a KPF as well as a top 5ish mid given where we look to end up at the moment. Plus the two mid twenty picks on top of that (we also have Collingwood's I believe) so 4 in the top 30.

That would fundamentally be an immediate improvement of our midfield balance with four top 30 picks in the draft on top of that.

Of course that's a nice plan and it would have to have a few stars align to get it across, but the disappearance of Scully and Patton freeing up more cash and the fact we've been saving cash for a free agent already it may well be the only year we could have a dip at two expensive free agents possibly front load them (make one a huge first year amount/the other a huge second year amount so they wouldn't match), and could afford and still keep our draft picks and gain another.

Not necessarily. If you trade Mitchell as an example and Pick Up say Merrett (who I'm coming around too given he's 2 and half years younger than Mitchell and a hell of lot faster) and Kelly as free agents. You'd actually be miles in front and could take a top 15 mid or a KPF as well as a top 5ish mid given where we look to end up at the moment. Plus the two mid twenty picks on top of that (we also have Collingwood's I believe) so 4 in the top 30.

That would fundamentally be an immediate improvement of our midfield balance with four top 30 picks in the draft on top of that.

Of course that's a nice plan and it would have to have a few stars align to get it across, but the disappearance of Scully and Patton freeing up more cash and the fact we've been saving cash for a free agent already it may well be the only year we could have a dip at two expensive free agents possibly front load them (make one a huge first year amount/the other a huge second year amount so they wouldn't match), and could afford and still keep our draft picks and gain another.
no free agents are coming if you trade out players a few years after you traded them in

Trading one of Mitchell o’meara worpel won’t solve anything.
Respectfully disagree. The three have shown not to work in the same midfield and the three have also shown to be relatively restricted in terms of using in alternate roles. The three have also shown they have little impact on the scoreboard. I'd support trading out and r
If we lose to North, the tank is on.
That's the mother of all tank jobs !!!
We need a minimum 3 top 20 picks this year in a draft like this, We have a chance to build a midfield with what is available .
I agree. Its not against the law to trade out good players. I don't think anyone is spruiking selling the farm. We have three very similar players (Mitchell, Worpel & O'Meara), and it makes sense for the long term good of the club to look at what these players can net you in return. Granted there are no sure things in the draft but it seems to be a sure thing that if we don't make changes re of the same. Essendon were forced to make changes (Players decision admittedly) but they look like they've found some long term solution to their list issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and if you trade players out that want to stay, our young players will be more likely to jump ship when they are out of contract

This is a theory not really backed up by reality. We dumped Hay and Thompson, ok Buddy left after two premierships but it was more a lifestyle move apart from that everyone stayed. In fact we had to push them when they got old... so the opposite happened.

no free agents are coming if you trade out players a few years after you traded them in

Nah sometimes things don't work out. You reset, get a bit younger and move your best older asset for getting a reasonable trade. If Libber went down for the dogs and was going to miss next year and we traded Mitchell to them to fill that gap we'd be doing him a favour if he wanted to win a premiership as they'd be in the zone.

You don’t trade away talent when you haven’t got much of it especially for picks that may or may not pan out.

Trading Sicily makes no sense as coming off an ACL his value is probably at it's lowest now.

He is also arguably when fit our best player with an important skill that we lack and is only 26 so could still be apart of our next flag.

The thing with Worpel is unless he decided he wanted out (we have no indication he does) we would get absolutely bent over in a trade.

If we tried pushing him out wherever he decides to go would absolutely over significant unders, which does not help us.

Sicily’s value could go lower, depending on how strongly he returns. Maybe there is a club out there with flags in its sights that might be willing to pay up with picks and take the risk ... ?

hypothetically speaking, of course

Respectfully disagree. The three have shown not to work in the same midfield and the three have also shown to be relatively restricted in terms of using in alternate roles. The three have also shown they have little impact on the scoreboard. I'd support trading out and r

That's the mother of all tank jobs !!!

I agree. Its not against the law to trade out good players. I don't think anyone is spruiking selling the farm. We have three very similar players (Mitchell, Worpel & O'Meara), and it makes sense for the long term good of the club to look at what these players can net you in return. Granted there are no sure things in the draft but it seems to be a sure thing that if we don't make changes re of the same. Essendon were forced to make changes (Players decision admittedly) but they look like they've found some long term solution to their list issues.
Trade Westbrook & Harden, worpel has future skipper written all over him.

I actually love the idea of more Scape Goat threads!
We can stick all the nihilistic whingers in to them and let them enjoy themselves.

As far as who we should trade out at the minute I don't think we really have any stocks worth trading.
Sicily has value, but were we to lose him we'd be losing one of our marquee players and draw cards.
Titch has value, but I think were we to trade him we'd be doing some serious damage to the morale of the players.
Gunners will finish with us.
Breust will finish with us.
Worpel wouldn't get us a pick worth trading him- no one would give us a top 10 pick for him at the minute and I think he's a really important player to continue to develop and monitor.
JOM isn't going anywhere, now that he's finding form were we to offload him we'd just be setting ourselves back.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is all of our players with currency on the market gone.

I think we should be looking to get very creative with our picks.
Find a team who is on the up and thinks they're closer than they are and do something like:
Hawthorn 2022 r1+r2 +2021 r2 picks for: 2021 r1 +2022 r1
Would hopefully net us two top 12 picks this year whilst keeping a pick in next years first round. I don't believe for a second that we're a bottom 5 team in 2022, but that's just me.

I think McAsey at Adelaide is dying to come back to Melbourne, if we could sneak another young key forward from the crows it would be perfect considering he'll be 20 by the time next year comes around. Mt Gambier is just as far from Adelaide as Melbourne but maybe TOB could help get that deal done - I think early 20s KPFs should be the target.

I think McAsey at Adelaide is dying to come back to Melbourne, if we could sneak another young key forward from the crows it would be perfect considering he'll be 20 by the time next year comes around. Mt Gambier is just as far from Adelaide as Melbourne but maybe TOB could help get that deal done - I think early 20s KPFs should be the target.
TOB gets us pick 75 or tyson stengle.🤣

Trading one of Mitchell o’meara worpel won’t solve anything.
Quite the opposite.

They're all one-paced runners and one-paced kickers. They're not offering much after the stoppage as their speed away from stoppages is far too slow and their use of the ball lacks any real penetration to worry the opposition.

Mitchell has first round value. One of those mid-tier teams who have a first rounder around the late single digits early double digits (8-12) might want a clearance/roving bull to help them win and be willing to part with that pick for him.

Doing that allows Worpel to play to his strengths and opens up a spot for a midfielder with breakaway speed and clearance ability who can kick with more penetration and velocity.

It's continually sticking with these 3 for a majority of the stoppages that's not solving anything.

Quite the opposite.

They're all one-paced runners and one-paced kickers. They're not offering much after the stoppage as their speed away from stoppages is far too slow and their use of the ball lacks any real penetration to worry the opposition.

Mitchell has first round value. One of those mid-tier teams who have a first rounder around the late single digits early double digits (8-12) might want a clearance/roving bull to help them win and be willing to part with that pick for him.

Doing that allows Worpel to play to his strengths and opens up a spot for a midfielder with breakaway speed and clearance ability who can kick with more penetration and velocity.

It's continually sticking with these 3 for a majority of the stoppages that's not solving anything.
Keep them all, just add some speed and quality around them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back