Who will be the next club to break a premiership drought?

Who will break the next premiership drought?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow
You really are ignorant. I dont see a bright future for you at all if you cant learn to tolerate differring opinions. Certainly I'm not interested in communicating with you further
Haha.

I'll leave you to your view that Carlton are best placed, because you remember them being successful.

Strong stuff !

Look, it's not bad if everything goes well, but you don't have a Hogan and your backline underwhelms.
They also have a coach who is stuck in the era of winning matches through stoppages and not prioritising kicking efficiency and winning by scoring via turnovers.... In goodwin you guys have a coach who understands the modern attacking way and therefore have a better chance of success... The brand of footy played vs the hawks this year is a perfect example.

They also have a coach who is stuck in the era of winning matches through stoppages and not prioritising kicking efficiency and winning by scoring via turnovers.... In goodwin you guys have a coach who understands the modern attacking way and therefore have a better chance of success... The brand of footy played vs the hawks this year is a perfect example.

That will be one of the big things to watch for me in 2017, whether Ross Lyon digs in and continues with the lock down stoppage football of 2005-2010 or figures out a way to evolve his game and bring a new style to the Dockers.

I went with Carlton only because I think GWS and Sydney and Carlton will be well positioned to take advantage when they come back down to earth.

You couldnt possibly think this
As I said in another post....the next drought broken by a team could be five to ten years from today. With any number of other teams like Sydney, Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Adelaide, Port Adelaide, West Coast, GWS, Footscray winning flags before it happens.

So Carlton could be the next drought breaker of the teams the OP listed....doesn't imply that it happens in 2017.

Bit surprised at the agression from Demons supporters! read my posts I've hardly rubbished your club. Just a tad precious?

Theyre an angry lot.

I dont care how this sounds but stkilda clearly have the best list, coaches and everything else needed we are the only team in this group that have been minor premiers and have consistently been top 4 playing with the big boys.

We have the key forwards, the small forwards, the half backs the up and comings mids, ready to go ruckman and key backs.

I see our rebuild as putting us in a position to be consistently good for 10 years. Were building a balanced elite team.

Our youngsters are tougher, more
Motivated, better leaders .... it will all kick off this year for us as our boys start playing 50-70 games. unlike melbourne, we also havent spent our free agent cash and picks yet. If brisbane keep up the drafting genius and fagan is as good as he might be then I see brissie in 3-5 years being up there before others.

Haha.

I'll leave you to your view that Carlton are best placed, because you remember them being successful.

Strong stuff !
His reasoning for picking whichever team is the next to break a drought is as logical as anyone else's reasoning. As in, no one KNOWS which team will, and therefore no one can state WHY that team does it and not another team.

No one would've selected Footscray to be the next drought breaker if this thread was posted 5 years ago. And no one could've given a logical reason why they think Footscray.

We're all just having a punt based on gut decisions, or left-field reasons. There are some who are using current lists, strengths and weaknesses in the midfield/backfield/forwards, etc. But again, that stronger team might not actually break the drought.

It's just like when people try to predict the final ladder in those threads. Etc.

Theyre an angry lot.

I dont care how this sounds but stkilda clearly have the best list, coaches and everything else needed we are the only team in this group that have been minor premiers and have consistently been top 4 playing with the big boys.

We have the key forwards, the small forwards, the half backs the up and comings mids ruckman and key backs.
Our youngstwrs are yougher, more
Motivated, better leader it will all kick off this year for us as our boys start playing 50-70 games. unlike melbourne we also havent spent our free agent cash and picks yet. If brisbane keep up the drafting genius and fagan is as good as he might be then I see brissie in 3-5 years being up there before others.

Careful how much you talk us up mate, you're going to get trolled relentlessly if we underperform sooner or later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His reasoning for picking whichever team is the next to break a drought is as logical as anyone else's reasoning. As in, no one KNOWS which team will, and therefore no one can state WHY that team does it.

We're all just having a punt based on gut decisions, or left-field reasons. There are some who are using current lists, strengths and weaknesses in the midfield/backfield/forwards, etc. But again, that stronger team might not actually break the drought.

It's just like when people try to predict the final ladder in those threads. Etc.
No, it's not, unless you believe in fairy dust.

An analysis of lists is a stronger mechanism than the "you were successful 20 years ago, so I'll back you now" theory.

Unless, you're an illogical crazy, of course.

Careful how much you talk us up mate, you're going to get trolled relentlessly if we underperform sooner or later.
I like a supporter who backs their club, and even better if they can do it without rubbishing anyone else's. Sadly I think your right though.

It's a nice midfield with the hill brothers on the wings. s**t, imagine if bennell comes good.

If Bennell and Fyfe both played at their best at the same time it would be game over for almost any team.

I unfortunately think Bennell will struggle to make it back and play at his best. He can't even get through a pre season.

Toss up between the Demons and Saints for me but I went with the Demons. I think both sides have done a terrific job with their rebuilds though and are set for success in a couple years.

I think the Saints have a fantastic young forward line with Bruce, McCartin, Membrey and Billings all potent on their day. Their midfield needs some work especially with Armitage not getting any younger but Steven is a gun, Acres and Gresham look promising. Guys like Weller, Ross and Newnes are a solid trio. I think the losses of Riewoldt, Montagna and Dempster will leave a bit of a hole in their best 22 for a year or so and by the time they rectify that players like Armitage and Geary will be closing in on the end of their careers. If Freeman and Long can stay fit and reach their potential that'll add some pace to their line up. Hickey is a good ruckman and Carlisle is a key pillar in the defensive 50. Overall a really strong young team that will only get better and begin to push for a flag in the near future.

The Demons I feel just have a great mix of solid, dependable, high quality players both young and old such as Jones, Viney, Watts, Tyson, Vince, Lewis, McDonald, Frost, Brayshaw, Garlett, Jetta, Hibberd and then they have the young stars with a bit of x factor in Gawn, Hogan, Petracca, Oliver and Hunt. I think the group of 5 that I just mentioned are the stars that can take them places.

Hogan is a young, superstar key forward, Petracca and Oliver are two big, strong, powerful contested mids with the ability to impact on the scoreboard, Max Gawn is the big ruck presence who gives his midfielders first use of the footy and Jayden Hunt is their version of Jason Johanissen. Sets up a fair bit of play with his dash off the half back flank. You add another solid foot solider in Melksham and another 6 promising youngsters in Weideman, Salem, Harmes, Neal-Bullen, Stretch and Oscar McDonald, plus a few more players who at worst can provide some decent depth in Kent, Kennedy, Bugg, Pedersen, Garland and Vandenberg and you have a really decent group of 30 players to move forward with.

Freo need to get some key players back playing at their best from injury and improve their gameplan. Last year we were woeful

I'm biased as freo is my adopted "port" side but the reason I feel freo will win the flag first is there run is three years away and any team making a move now (melbourne, saints etc) are up against GWS

PS. I think Logue will be a star

I'm biased as freo is my adopted "port" side but the reason I feel freo will win the flag first is there run is three years away and any team making a move now (melbourne, saints etc) are up against GWS

PS. I think Logue will be a star

Cheers mate

And yes I like both Ports too

It's all about timing and like you said GWS will be very hard to beat. I actually think they'll be a force for more than 3 years.

Nope, Fully fit our side would go close to beating your mob. We don't have a Hogan but You don't have a Fyfe . Pearce , Hamling , Johnson , Logue , Ibbo , Spurr with Mundy and Crozier pushing back there looks fine.

I rate Freo and would rather not be in a slanging match, but Tom McDonald is comfortably better than any of your key defenders listed there.

Edit - ok you listed Lee Spurr surely that's a troll

Back