Why do Adelaide persist with such a tall setup?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Recent trends have shown that mobile, smaller, quicker sides are effective and capable of winning premierships.

The days of multiple big men taking a dozen contested marks and booting 10 goals between them is becoming less and less common or reliable way to win. Whereas in any conditions, you can rely on pressure and tackling effort.

Adelaide use a tall forward setup more than any other club, it has been shown to fail them when exposed to smaller quicker forward lines. What have the Crows learnt over summer? Seemingly nothing, when it poor conditions against the Pies they got absolutely towelled up by a smaller, quicker forward line and yet they played Lynch, Walker, Jenkins, McGovern, Fogharty, Talia, Doedee and Jacobs in the same side.

Surely Pyke has to cop some heat for this, the extreme tall forward line just isn't effective in the current way AFL is played, and against what the recent successful sides are doing.

Because they have tall forwards?

Basically the argument is everyone thinks you need more small forwards so it must be right. The argument is nonsense. We play 3 talls as does Essendon by preference.In all cases it's because we can.

Because they have tall forwards?

Basically the argument is everyone thinks you need more small forwards so it must be right. The argument is nonsense. We play 3 talls as does Essendon by preference.In all cases it's because we can.
Of course they can, but if something doesnt work or something else is better, is persisting with the first setup still the best option?

How do forwards beat other forwards? The defenders beat the forwards.

Why did our tall forwards beat Richmond in round 2? Because our midfield was up and about and we didn't bomb it constantly to a loose Rance.

Problem starts in the midfield. Yes I believe we went too tall for the conditions on Friday. But we were also smashed in the midfield due to their midfield spread and our lack of ability to get a meaningful clearance a la the gf. This explains much more of the loss than our forward height.

Of course they can, but if something doesnt work or something else is better, is persisting with the first setup still the best option?

While every team has 'options' you can't just wholesale swap talls for smalls, or vice versa.

But since you asked the question, I assume you have worked out who in our 2nds would be better than "Lynch, Walker, Jenkins, McGovern, Fogarty, Talia, Doedee and Jacobs".

All weather forecasts for Friday that I looked at had the rain passing by 7pm. Out setup would have been perfectly fine in drier weather.
And the tall setup didn't lose us the GF last year, so we've done pretty well with it overall.

Teams play to their brand. It can fall apart if they aren't playing it as well as the other side plays their. Doubt Adelaide would have kept up with Collingwood even with a smaller setup, the Pies were switched on.

The teams that build success are ones who build their own brand or evolutionise others and get a buy in from all players.

When your team gets beaten by the clearances by 23, the problem isn't the forward line. Look at the current top 8, a decent amount play fairly tall forward lines. I don't know if your talking about trends or events, Richmond won the flag we get it, you don't abandon ways of playing the game because they won the flag that's shooting yourself in the foot to play a certain way.

Or did Richmond look at Hawthorn and Sydney over the past decade and say well, we can't win if we don't start a bunch of really good talls in the forward line? If they had them they would have I'm sure, but there's no one path, ultimately a team has to find its own identity and you're rubbish if you're just trying to play catch up.

Recent trends have shown that mobile, smaller, quicker sides are effective and capable of winning premierships.

The days of multiple big men taking a dozen contested marks and booting 10 goals between them is becoming less and less common or reliable way to win. Whereas in any conditions, you can rely on pressure and tackling effort.

Adelaide use a tall forward setup more than any other club, it has been shown to fail them when exposed to smaller quicker forward lines. What have the Crows learnt over summer? Seemingly nothing, when it poor conditions against the Pies they got absolutely towelled up by a smaller, quicker forward line and yet they played Lynch, Walker, Jenkins, McGovern, Fogharty, Talia, Doedee and Jacobs in the same side.

Surely Pyke has to cop some heat for this, the extreme tall forward line just isn't effective in the current way AFL is played, and against what the recent successful sides are doing.

Ridiculous. Had they won't the GF everyone would be saying every team needs 3 key forwards now are Richmond are failures

(Log in to remove this ad.)

for the same reason, why do Port persist without a ruckman? it may work one day

Has it, has it really?

The question should have been, how in the world was old cranky stance pants awarded Players Association Captain of the year two years running?

Why doesn't every team copy exactly what worked for Richmond last year for the rest of time?
It might not be succesful years from now, but certainly the current trend from the last two premiers is speed, mobility, pressure built around smaller players.

We were way too tall up forward as well. Glad we put Hooker back and put Stringer forward. Stringer may be tall, but he plays small. It gives us more of a chance to lock the ball in as we saw today

I think it's there lack of smalls rather than the talls that is the problem. The lost Cameron at the end of last year and Betts hasn't been anywhere near as dangerous as in previous years. Cameron has been replaced by Fogarty who is more a lead up and demand the ball forward.

Personally I thought a lot of Collingwood's forward woes were due to having too many lead up demand the ball types rather than players who could take advantage when the ball hit the deck. Yours talls aren't going to mark everything so you need blokes who can take advantage of the ground ball.

I think it's there lack of smalls rather than the talls that is the problem. The lost Cameron at the end of last year and Betts hasn't been anywhere near as dangerous as in previous years. Cameron has been replaced by Fogarty who is more a lead up and demand the ball forward.

Personally I thought a lot of Collingwood's forward woes were due to having too many lead up demand the ball types rather than players who could take advantage when the ball hit the deck. Yours talls aren't going to mark everything so you need blokes who can take advantage of the ground ball.
Completely agree.
And given these days where 1 on 1 contests are rarer, the ball hits the ground a lot so mobile forward lines better at ground level than in the air Id argue are more effective right now.

Mmm
You I'm keeping redefining yuur argument, which still has no substance.
Im not redefining anything, Im talking about the current trend of the premiership sides and you bring up a team from a few years ago, who mind you actually support the theory of small forward lines with Rioli, Bruest, Puopolo, although they were probably somewhere in the middle because they still had a few talls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back