Why do GWS get a home final at Spotless for the prelim?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pigs fly too...and I'll win the Lotto this week!

Zero chance of getting 44k to a game at ANZ that isn't a Sydney derby. It just will not happen.

Lets think about it, there are 15,000 GWS members, do you think 10k fans will come from Melbourne (Haw/WB)? I doubt it. Might get 2/3 of that, so lets say 6,000. That still leaves 3,000- 4,000 for neutral fans. That is enough.

Where are the 30k fans after the GWS members coming from? Don't say Swans members! We hate the joint, it is a cow paddock!

I think no less than 10-15k Hawthorn fans would attend if they knew they were going to get in. Despite whatever amount of members GWS has I would be extremely surprised if between them, non members and neutrals that 40k for an AFL wasn't reached if played at ANZ or SCG.

I think no less than 10-15k Hawthorn fans would attend if they knew they were going to get in. Despite whatever amount of members GWS has I would be extremely surprised if between them, non members and neutrals that 40k for an AFL wasn't reached if played at ANZ or SCG.

Won't happen. Have you lived in Sydney? Ask any AFL fan what they think of ANZ, it is a shocking venue with terrible view points half the time. Going to the SCG is worse- they have played 1 game there all year! They earnt home ground advantage, it isn't meant to be easy for the opposition. Might as well play the game in Perth if you are playing the match at the SCG!

10,000 opposition fans would be the very upper limit. That is still enough for Spotless anyway. There is no chance they are getting more than 24k. It will sellout which would look a lot better than 28k in an 83k stadium!

Going to the SCG is worse- they have played 1 game there all year! They earnt home ground advantage, it isn't meant to be easy for the opposition. Might as well play the game in Perth if you are playing the match at the SCG!

The rule for finals is home state advantage. Not home ground. Amount of games GWS have played at the SCG is irrelevant. You guys had to play finals at ANZ despite playing there stuff all prior to 2012. Geelong are the same no matter how few times we may play at the MCG some years. All I'm saying is GWS should play by the same rules. If we were playing a home final this week against say the Gold Coast or Port we wouldn't be able to have it in Geelong.

Haven't lived in Sydney. Been there enough to know ANZ sucks and far as AFL wise it's not well liked. Doesn't matter far as rules and consistency goes it is an AFL stadium at this point in time and should be used for a preliminary final. I think no matter how much people hate it they will suck it up to see one of those.

Last edited:

The rule for finals is home state advantage. Not home ground. Amount of games GWS have played at the SCG is irrelevant. You guys had to play finals at ANZ despite playing there stuff all prior to 2012. Geelong are the same no matter how few times we may play at the MCG some years. All I'm saying is GWS should play by the same rules. If we were playing a home final this week against say the Gold Coast or Port we wouldn't be able to have it in Geelong.

At least we had played a number of times at ANZ, GWS have played what once at the SCG (and they were flogged there) and it is a huge distance between Olympic Park and Moore Park. Good luck doing that in under an hour...and that doesn't take into account some fans are coming from Parramatta and beyond, so add another 30 minutes to the trip there. It is a logistical nightmare.

You play more at the MCG in 1 year than GWS have played at the SCG in 4 years! That isn't a home state advantage one bit.

Match sold out with thousands of Dogs fans to miss out on possibly the first prelim their club will win in decades. All while SCG sits empty due to this disgraceful, inappropriate, inconsistent, hypocritical and biased decision to hold this game at Spotless. Farcical.

Match sold out with thousands of Dogs fans to miss out on possibly the first prelim their club will win in decades. All while SCG sits empty due to this disgraceful, inappropriate, inconsistent, hypocritical and biased decision to hold this game at Spotless. Farcical.
A) Match isn't sold out
B) Every Dogs member who wanted to go got a ticket.
C) There were actually leftover member tickets that they were added to the general public sale.
D) Unless this is sarcastic, you're a ******* idiot.

Spotless the right venue. No way this would get over 30K at ANZ or SCG.

People have been saying that, in fact i posted it was sold out, but apparently not.

People have been saying that, in fact i posted it was sold out, but apparently not.

SEN reported sold out hours ago. In which case 24,000 sold out would indicate the match would have looked just fine at the SCG. Some tickets can be got via clubs due to Ticketmaster's botched system selling people unwanted extras and double ups.

SEN reported sold out hours ago. In which case 24,000 sold out would indicate the match would have looked just fine at the SCG. Some tickets can be got via clubs due to Ticketmaster's botched system selling people unwanted extras and double ups.

SEN is probably wrong, people are logging onto ticketmaster and getting plenty of tickets.

SEN is probably wrong, people are logging onto ticketmaster and getting plenty of tickets.

Fair enough maybe not such a disaster then. Still think it isn't worth the stress of getting close. Match is tracking to sell out tomorrow or Wednesday. Suggests to me would have been just fine at SCG two thirds full. MCG will be no better than two thirds full for Cats v Swans.

Last edited:
Fair enough maybe for such a disaster then. Still think it isn't worth the stress of getting close. Match is tracking to sell out tomorrow or Wednesday. Suggests to me would have been just fine at SCG two thirds full. MCG will be no better than two thirds full for Cats v Swans.

I really can see both sides here, but i reckon any member - the real supporters can get a ticket, that is actually what matters, if it sold out then those people who missout may be forced to next year buy a membership, in Sydney that is probably a big deal where walk ups are probably the norm.

It may actually work as a benefit.

Showing you have no idea about the landscape of Sydney. A vast portion of GWS' fans would be coming from Western Sydney- do you realise it takes an hour and a bit minimum to get there for starters...

Let's not mention the fact that GWS have played a grand total of ONE game at the SCG! Great idea....

This game is not for the opposition, they should have finished higher on the odder to earn the right like GWS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Despitehttp://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-19/bulldog-faithful-snap-up-tickets-for-prelim fears some of the Bulldogs' 40,000 members or the 16,000-strong Giants membership base would be locked out of the 24,000 capacity venue, there were about 4600 tickets made available to the general public after 1pm.

About 1800 remain unsold and the League hopes the historic clash will sell out by the middle of the week

Despitehttp://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-19/bulldog-faithful-snap-up-tickets-for-prelim fears some of the Bulldogs' 40,000 members or the 16,000-strong Giants membership base would be locked out of the 24,000 capacity venue, there were about 4600 tickets made available to the general public after 1pm.

About 1800 remain unsold and the League hopes the historic clash will sell out by the middle of the week

Whatever aren't sold they'll give away or pay school kids to go.

Whatever aren't sold they'll give away or pay school kids to go.

Your considered and well intentioned input is appreciated

just-kidding-w6aavc.jpg

Well, according to this article from Monday night, when 1800 were left remaining, the AFL anticipated a sell out by Wednesday (i.e. tomorrow)

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t/news-story/7bfdbfe87b75fa049da95c60b79ce2ab

And it seems they are limping to the line - as per this afternoon "only 700 tickets were left, primarily of the standing-room variety."

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/greater-w...owd-for-gws-giants-clash-20160920-grkgg0.html

So basically, it looks like it will sell out - but only just, which is what the AFL would have predicted. In other words, the correct call has been made. Lest we forget the deplorable 19,127 who turned out for the final the Swans played at ANZ against North (similar sized supporter base to the Dogs). A game that has been remembered for all the wrong reasons.

Seriously - people who have been calling for the game to be played at the ANZ need to get their heads examined. Starting with the editor of the Age: http://www.theage.com.au/comment/th...ly-sydney-final-decision-20160919-grjodx.html

Probably worth remembering that the prospect of a sellout/trouble getting a seat will have discouraged some people from going, not least due to the idea that the last seats sold are usually the crappiest.

A 24K sellout at Spotless would probably be 30-35K at SCG.

Probably worth remembering that the prospect of a sellout/trouble getting a seat will have discouraged some people from going, not least due to the idea that the last seats sold are usually the crappiest.

A 24K sellout at Spotless would probably be 30-35K at SCG.
The only seats available were all the highest price by Monday night, other than for random single seats

30K is hardly unreasonable though, and I said 30-35k.

You know very little able the landscape of Sydney on Saturdays then. Won't happen. The Swans struggle to get that figure on Saturdays.

SCG is a mile away from GWS' home base, it is a good hour, that is after patrons spend up to 40 minutes to get to Homebush...would you like traveling up to 3 hours? The crowd would be less than Saturday. Distance is just too far for a vast portion of the supporter base.

Well here we go - the calls for an upgrade of Spotless have begun...

Increasing capacity of Spotless Stadium to 35,000 in pipeline so fans won’t be turned away

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...y/news-story/1b9f11bf82fd5592e5e0ace278939b0b

Personally, I think 35k would be preferred (as opposed to 30k which is also an option). Might as well go big for the future. But I think it is too soon. Surely GWS would want a few Home and Away sellouts first? Here in Canberra, they've had a couple - and we are still waiting for Manuka to be upgraded :(

Big Bash Cricket team (Thunder) also have a say according to article...

You know very little able the landscape of Sydney on Saturdays then. Won't happen. The Swans struggle to get that figure on Saturdays.

SCG is a mile away from GWS' home base, it is a good hour, that is after patrons spend up to 40 minutes to get to Homebush...would you like traveling up to 3 hours? The crowd would be less than Saturday. Distance is just too far for a vast portion of the supporter base.

Do you think Sydney would achieve better on a Saturday for a Prelim? We're not talking a H&A match after all, and at the very least there will be a lot more away fans than usual.

The only seats available were all the highest price by Monday night, other than for random single seats

This, and previous comments about only standing room being left seems to support my point that over 30K would have been more than possible at a larger ground.

Do you think Sydney would achieve better on a Saturday for a Prelim? We're not talking a H&A match after all, and at the very least there will be a lot more away fans than usual.

This, and previous comments about only standing room being left seems to support my point that over 30K would have been more than possible at a larger ground.
Who gives a s**t, we are not playing it at the Swans home ground, the only other option is ours, so really, you just need to suck it up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back