Sports Why Do You Support The Teams You Do?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fremantle: Tony Modra was my favourite player and when he moved to Freo I started supporting them instead of Adelaide. Best decision ever!

South Adelaide: The Panthers sounded so much cooler than all of the other teams.

Adelaide United: Adelaide based, that's it really.

Arsenal: Club logo is a cannon (awesome!), get to say Arse (5 year old me probably thought it was hilarious).

Carlton: Was given the impression that if I didn't barrack for Carlton, my father would kick me out of home at age 10. Whole extended family (and there's plenty of them) all barracked for Carlton and I have good memories of weekend get-togethers where we would all watch games on telly and then play out in the park.

Man Utd: Father was a fan again, but also used to love watching them on TV and got a Man Utd jersey from a family friend who went to England.

North Qld Cowboys: After moving up to Townsville for work, I started paying attention to NRL. The local team were up-and-comers at the time and I started following them.

Melbourne Storm: Because once I started following NRL, I had to follow the Melbourne team lol

West Coast: I loved watching Ben Cousins as a kid, so very early I grew into a big Eagles supporter.

Chelsea: When I was younger SBS used to show some EPL matches. Blue was my favourite colour so I picked Chelsea.

Western Warriors/Perth Scorchers: Obvious reasons.

Oklahoma City Thunder: Started following the NBA in 2008. I wanted to chose a middle of the road team. OKC were that back then plus they were new on the block.

West Coast: cos I'm West Australian to the bone and I've supported them for as long as I can remember. People don't realise that most Fremantle supporters born prior to 1994 are in fact turncoat scum. Have no time for supporters of teams from other states they haven't even lived in or been raised in either. Most just do this just out of spite of local team supporters.

If Swan Districts was the 3rd AFL team in WA who would you follow?

Carlton - my old man's team and even though I am born and bred in WA, I didn't want to be a turn coat and follow the eagles when they eneterd the comp like a lot of people.

West Perth - old man's team

Tottenham - my brother and I watched the 91 FA cup final between Nottingham Forest and Tottenham, we decideed to flip a coin to see which team we would follow. He got Forest and I had spurs which was a good result.

Perth glory, Western Warriors and Perth Wildcats - local teams

West Coast: I loved watching Ben Cousins as a kid, so very early I grew into a big Eagles supporter.

Chelsea: When I was younger SBS used to show some EPL matches. Blue was my favourite colour so I picked Chelsea.

Western Warriors/Perth Scorchers: Obvious reasons.

Oklahoma City Thunder: Started following the NBA in 2008. I wanted to chose a middle of the road team. OKC were that back then plus they were new on the block.

If I were to follow a team in the NBA it'd be OKC as well. Purely because of their past life as the Seattle Sonics.

North Melbourne: Only started following Aussie Rules at 14 years of age. Wanted to give soccer a break for a bit so I signed up to the local club. Watching alot of games over the season to learn the fine points without following a team but one day a few of the North Melbourne players did a meet and greet for our local club so I was a fan since then. This was the time of Glenn Archer, Adam Simpson, Shannon Grant and I liked the way they went about it.

Chelsea: FIFA 98. Went through the premier league teams to pick a side, shut my eyes for 10 seconds and held down the toggle and chose the team that it landed on. As fate would have it I landed on Chelsea. Killed it on FIFA with the likes of Zola, Di Matteo, Babyaro, Andre Flo and a very young John Terry.

Brisbane Roar: Simple really. The A-League was just taking off in 2005, my brother showed me a list of the teams in it's first season and being a Brisbane Boy I felt I had to support the my hometown club even though at the time we had since moved to NSW for dad's work.

Geelong: dunno how much of an influence my mum was on me to support Geelong, because she honestly CGAF who her kids supported. I recall the 1989 Grand Final she just wanted us all out of the house so she could watch in peace. :D Growing up near Essendon, Dad and my brothers were Essendon supporters, but instead of going for them I took an instant dislike to the EFC. Finally attended a game (1993, MCG, Geelong v Essendon) and I was hooked. Cats for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon: try starting school in 2000 and supporting anyone else. My uncle pushed me into it too.

Miami Heat: D-Wade has always been my favourite player, when ch10 started showing NBA on One, my passion for NBA Basketball was ignited. Great location, will always attract free agents I thought, I turned out to be correct.

Last edited:
Swan Districts: Lived in Perth in 1972.Asked my dad who he followed.He said Swans so that was good enough for me.
Then in 1973, we moved to Melbourne.Asked my dad again.So Carlton it was.
At some stage, I asked him who to follow in English soccer.His answer was Spurs.
Followed Manly from 1976 Grand Final (when my family all said Parramatta couldn't lose.They did.) to 1992.Then became disillusioned with some aspects of the Manly club.After that, I just generally followed the NRL until 2000 when I met Mrs Vekgib who was a mad Parramatta fan.
Ford: First car I owned was going to be a VB Commodore until I spotted an XE Falcon.The sheer interior size advantage that the Ford had plus it being a manual (compared to the auto Holden) swayed me to the blue oval.Only owned Falcons ever since.
Dunno how I chose Green Bay, but I'll have to keep an eye on the 49ers now.

Cats: Moved to Geelong when I was 9. My Dad took me to games and I'd stand in the outer on my bucket watching Ablett. I was hooked. My Dad was a South Melbourne fan and could never really adjust to Sydney so he became a fan too.

Oilers: My wife is from Edmonton and I lived there for a year. Love their history and the fans are passionate despite being terrible for years now.

Eskimos: As above.

Arsenal: I lived around the corner from Highbury when they won the FA Cup in 2002. Not a passionate fan but I have that connection and keep an eye on them.

49ers: Only got into NFL a few years ago. I wanted to support a west coast team but didn't want to jump on the Seahawks bandwagon like all of Vancouver. I like San Francisco as a city and the team has an interesting history so I went with them.

Bluejays: Only Canadian MLB team and I've been to a few games. Got a shot this year!

Whitecaps: Only Vancouver team I support. Also got a shot at the MLS title this year.

Last edited:
My godfather drummed Carlton into me, before I eve knew what was going on.

I go for the New England Patriots for the same reason any other Pats does. We were winning super bowls, and I'm smitten by how handsome Tom Brady is.

South Adelaide: The Panthers sounded so much cooler than all of the other teams.
This is one of the reasons why I chose Penrith in the nrl, as a kid.

West Perth: grew up in the area, played in the comp. proud Cardies, muncher supporter.

West Coast: WA team. (Never understood Freo.). Was established when I was studying overseas and always seemed right, even now living in Melbourne.

Fighting Illini: went to college there. Add in Chicago Cubs and Bears.

Nan follows North, Dad follows North, Mum follows North, older brother follows North and older sister follows North. Didn't really get a say in it (although I'd pick North)

Essendon: Had a scarf given to me at a very young age and stuck with it.

Melb Victory: All my mates go for them, grew up in Melbourne

Cronulla Sharks: Never really followed NRL, kind of once in a year checked out how the eels were going but that's about it so when I moved to the shire decided to get into it. Have watched every game since moving to sydney and am hooked.

New York Jets: Saw them play in NYC

Brooklyn Nets: Same as above

Southampton: all my mates go for united, arsenal or Chelsea so * them

Collingwood - Family thing, had a great uncle that played a few games during the 1920s dynasty.

Indiana Pacers - Loved Reggie Miller and the hard-nosed way they played (Davis brothers, McKey, Jackson etc.). Loved the whole underdog thing. Everyone was going for the Bulls at the time, but I loved the Pacers and still do.

Geelong - Born and raised here, great-grandfather was a past player

Man United - Highest exposure at the time I was picking a team

Boston Red Sox - Didn't follow a particular team to start with, just hated the Yankees. Guess I just naturally started to love their greatest rival. 2004 ALCS certainly helped

Melbourne Victory - Followed them reasonably closely in the early years which faded over time. Lived with a mad Victory supporter who got me back into it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back