Opinion Why the crazy talk?

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting a 30 yr old unable to break into his own senior team, given the identity of that team, is not a vote of confidence in that player.

Alternatively, if I have mistaken the player or team and fingered the wrong guy, I apologise and strategically withdraw from all further discussion.
It is if you look at the position that player plays. Melbourne have plenty of young keys backs that have shown promise, whereas we just lost our only 2 key backs. If he comes in and serves a purpose for the year or 2 then so be it. The recruiting team must have something in the works.

Any key position talls that would thrive in an AFL environment playing state leagues?

Why did we give Witts away, we will need some sort of back up, surely it would have been worth keeping him for another year at least.

Wasn't our choice - he was out of contract (we made an offer) but in the end he wants a decent chance at a No 1 ruck spot and I don't think anyone begrudges him that.

Build a culture in which players are invested in and want to perform. We are losing too many players to be able to contend. Every year we are turning over ten players, we cannot build a decent list when this continues to happen every year.
GWS lost the most players this trade period and are betting flag favourites. The question I asked was: what players could we have taken in this trade period to fix those holes without jeopardising the brown & daicos selections?

GWS lost the most players this trade period and are betting flag favourites. The question I asked was: what players could we have taken in this trade period to fix those holes without jeopardising the brown & daicos selections?

Keep Brown and Cloke for a start.

I'm not going to attempt to change your opinion, Frost was one example used as you didn't mention that we paid overs on some and received unders for a selection...
Witts' trade value has changed yes, so has clokes from a few years back and Marley would have been worth more then too.
How much is Maynes contract, I didn't realise that was probably public knowledge, I thought it was just media speculation.
I believe that WHE may change your mind on your interpreted value of him, but you are correct, it's speculative at this stage.
Witts value was always going to change playing VFL behind Grundy, we should have tried harder to get rid of him when he did have value, we should have told him the no.1 ruck spot is Grundy's and you'll play most of the year in the VFL. Somehow I guess he was led that he could be the no.1 ruck. Cloke and Williams we shouldn't give up at all if we're going to get nothing for them. Cloke is contracted so we should have held him to it and tried toget the best out of him next year. As for Williams, we should have offered him contract if he wants to go and all we're getting is pick 105 make him walk trough the PSD.

Im curious which players we lost this offseason, that we will miss, the club actually had any part of? Who was the gettable player the club didn't go after? Everyone who nominated us, we got, everyone we didn't want, we got rid of.

It just sounds like a bunch of people blaming the club for something they have very little control over. Should they apologise for Gibbs/Hill/McCarthy wanting to return home, or getting Treloar over Prestia and O'mera?

It's easy to act like children and say "This isn't how i wanted it to be" but you need to give solutions. We didn't pass up on any serious talent

You seem like a glass half full type of person. That's not always a bad thing but due to circumstance, some out of our control, we didn't have the greatest of trade periods.

What sticks out for me like a sore thumb is letting Marley go for peanuts. Still 22-24 and has played 60 odd games. I'll be fuming if within 2-3 years he is a very good defender for North. We should've given him one more year, especially after the 2015 season he had. The other is not having a go at James Stewart - got to Essendon for pick 77. We've just lost Cloke, and decided to pay Mayne a truckload of cash and there was someone who could potentially partner Moore for the next 10 years that would've cost us nothing too.

Wells, Dunn and WHE - tick

That's the thing, though. You cannot do anything about the things that are out of your control. Did we have an excellent free agency and trade period? No. Did we do about as well as could have been expected in the circumstances? I think we probably did.

You can argue that we could have done a little bit better. However, so many are stating that we balls'd the whole thing up or that they're disillusioned with the club, which is frankly ridiculous considering that we had no currency. It's as if people expected the club to spin straw into gold.

Also, getting Mayne over Stewart was an excellent decision. Only one of them is AFL standard and it's not Stewart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the thing, though. You cannot do anything about the things that are out of your control. Did we have an excellent free agency and trade period? No. Did we do about as well as could have been expected in the circumstances? I think we probably did.

You can argue that we could have done a little bit better. However, so many are stating that we balls'd the whole thing up or that they're disillusioned with the club, which is frankly ridiculous considering that we had no currency. It's as if people expected the club to spin straw into gold.

Also, getting Mayne over Stewart was an excellent decision. Only one of them is AFL standard and it's not Stewart.
I 100% agree. I think what your elaborating on is exactly the flaw in the argument against our clubs trade period. I would add to your point, that we didn't have the currency to go after these imaginary stars who want to play at Collingwood, because we spent a large amount of it on Treloar... How many of the complainers would bring in any of the players we apparently missed out on this year if it meant giving up Treloar?

I 100% agree. I think what your elaborating on is exactly the flaw in the argument against our clubs trade period. I would add to your point, that we didn't have the currency to go after these imaginary stars who want to play at Collingwood, because we spent a large amount of it on Treloar... How many of the complainers would bring in any of the players we apparently missed out on this year if it meant giving up Treloar?
I don't think we're complaining about missing out on starso_O

Not pick up Mayne. Tell Bulldogs to GAGF if 76 is all they're offering and we'll keep Cloke to his contract thanks.
The same people complaining about salary mismanagement regarding Wells and Mayne are all for holding onto Cloke, literally the biggest waste of money on our list

The same people complaining about salary mismanagement regarding Wells and Mayne are all for holding onto Cloke, literally the biggest waste of money on our list
Sensationalism at its best there.

So do you think we should of gone into next season adding nothing to our list?

I told you my solution. So adding Wells and WHE is nothing?

Can't agree with the forward line comment. Trav has been utter shite since 2012 so he is no loss. We have always played better without him since then. Add in Elliot, Fas and WHE and it transforms. Obviously injury permitting but the club have to be confident in there bodies or there is no point having them there.

The backs I agree we are some what thin depth wise, but Reid and Keefe are as good as any really. I have no doubt we will rookie a state league defender anyway.
I would suggest that the club is at best hopeful of Elliott being able to again play at his former high level. We recruited Mayne and can push a mid fielder like Sidebottom into the forward line if Wells stays fit. And then there's Greenwood and (gulp) Blair. Not to mention Fasolo (injury prone) and our new hero in attack WHE. Blair's spot is not under threat, so perhaps Elliott's future is doubtful. Elliott, Moore, Fasolo, WHE, Crocker, Cox (?), Mayne and White will form the basis of a decent attack if the first three play a majority of games.

So you think this Trade period was crap because we added 1 player who literally cost us nothing?
How about you re read my posts then come back when your a little more caught up. You seem to be struggling to understand what I've said.
And FYI 500k and 4 years isn't nothing.

Why the crazy talk you ask?

1. This trade period is and will be rated a monumental F for failure.
2. Buckley is and will be rated a monumental F for failure.

But please...be optimistic, be positive...

Just saw the exact details of the Frost trade - we've basically swapped him + Cloke +next years third rounder for Brions 2017 third and fourth rounders.

And people say we didn't do too bad here FMD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back