Will Buddy be the last 1000 goalscorer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Giving the impression of late that he’s crested the hill. Remains to be seen whether it will be a graceful decline like e.g. Riewoldt, or he drops off the perch. Doesn’t look to be enjoying his footy.

Giving the impression of late that he’s crested the hill. Remains to be seen whether it will be a graceful decline like e.g. Riewoldt, or he drops off the perch. Doesn’t look to be enjoying his footy.

He's definitely in decline, but he'll probably still be a good player for the next 2-3 years. Maybe he's unhappy because he recently attended a Hawthorn premiership reunion and realises we won't be having any of those with his Sydney mates.

Not sure Buddy will get there.

You think about it only 5 players have ever done it. So it is a rare event anyway. it will happen again but we might all be dead.

Can anyone explain why it seems like no one will ever kick 100 goals in a season again, or why 1,000 career goals will never happen again?

What changed to make it less likely?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can anyone explain why it seems like no one will ever kick 100 goals in a season again, or why 1,000 career goals will never happen again?

Defensive structures these days mean it is much harder for forwards to find the space they need to kick 100 goals in a season. Tony Lockett never needed to deal with a zone defence.

As for the 1000 goal mark Buddy is only 37 goals away now and assuming he doesn't have a serious injury you would think he is going to make it, maybe not this year, but early next year seems to be very doable.

Probably not the last ever. The game will evolve again, as it has done plenty of times already. Modern defensive structures make it much harder for an individual to tear a game apart though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if someone like Tom Hawkins has another 5-6 years in him. Can just sit in the goal square and lead out Dunstall style.
It won’t happen but if he beats even one Riewoldt in the goal tally I’ll be happy because it puts him in a great class of forward

It won’t happen but if he beats even one Riewoldt in the goal tally I’ll be happy because it puts him in a great class of forward

He already is. OK - he's not in the absolute elite (hate that word, but you know what I mean) superstar level as a full-forward - Hudson, Ablett, Coleman, Coventry, Lockett, and a few others.

Bloody good, though.

I reckon he will be.

This season is relatively high scoring and there are 3 players averaging 3 or more goals a game. I imagine all 3 will drop down below 3 a game by the end of the season.

Franklin has a high average goals per game and has played 300 games. His contemporaries are miles behind. Riewoldt and Kennedy have won multiple Colemans and had long careers and will be lucky to get much past 700 (Riewoldt on 689, Kennedy on 666). Matthew Lloyd kicked more goals per game than Buddy and didn't get to 1000 and he played 270 games.

Sure the game may be totally different in 10, 20, 50 years but I can't see anyone kicking 1,000 again without a couple of 100+ years.

Someone will kick a hundred for sure. They will have a season out of the box. What we probably won't see is someone kick 6 100s like Dunstall and Lockett. The game has changed to make consistent kicking of big bags really difficult.

Buddy looks like he will get to 1000 which is a great effort but he is going to have to play about 320 games to do it and even that milestone is difficult for a key forward.

Someone will probably come along and do it sometime in the future - records are nearly always broken eventually but I would think Locketts 1364, at the moment is one of the safest in world sport.

Defensive structures these days mean it is much harder for forwards to find the space they need to kick 100 goals in a season. Tony Lockett never needed to deal with a zone defence.

As for the 1000 goal mark Buddy is only 37 goals away now and assuming he doesn't have a serious injury you would think he is going to make it, maybe not this year, but early next year seems to be very doable.
THanks for the response! I'm new to the sport so I haven't gotten much pegged down besides kick it through the posts and catch your marks.
So it's just the way defenses have progressed that prevents 100 goal scorers now? What used to be the defensive gameplan? Man to man all game? Sounds tiring!!

I wonder if someone like Tom Hawkins has another 5-6 years in him. Can just sit in the goal square and lead out Dunstall style.

Teams just won't pick guys like that if they can't provide at least a bit of mobility and forward pressure.

THanks for the response! I'm new to the sport so I haven't gotten much pegged down besides kick it through the posts and catch your marks.
So it's just the way defenses have progressed that prevents 100 goal scorers now? What used to be the defensive gameplan? Man to man all game? Sounds tiring!!

Yes, team defence has become much more organised over the past 20 years, it used to be just man on man and maybe the ruckman (tall guy) would drop back. Forwards used to be able to lead straight up the middle but now teams use their defenders to block that space. Forwards also used to be able to smash the guy in their way but that has been removed from the game.

Also there was a lot less running around, players mostly stayed around their positions where as now they follow the ball.

I reckon he will be.

This season is relatively high scoring and there are 3 players averaging 3 or more goals a game. I imagine all 3 will drop down below 3 a game by the end of the season.

Franklin has a high average goals per game and has played 300 games. His contemporaries are miles behind. Riewoldt and Kennedy have won multiple Colemans and had long careers and will be lucky to get much past 700 (Riewoldt on 689, Kennedy on 666). Matthew Lloyd kicked more goals per game than Buddy and didn't get to 1000 and he played 270 games.

Sure the game may be totally different in 10, 20, 50 years but I can't see anyone kicking 1,000 again without a couple of 100+ years.
With the way the AFL are trying to force scoring back in to the AFL I think we will see it at some point, it seems they have a picture of what the game wants to look like and will do what ever it takes to get there.

Doubt anyone currently in the AFL outside of Buddy will do it though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back