News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

When can we as supporters start demanding more from our club in response to this?

I understand the sensitivity, I understand the fact we don’t want to somehow upset the people in charge of the verdict itself. The club however has not appeared to have a firm stance, from the outside its taken a victims stance.

You can’t possibly tell me other CEO’s would have taken such a passive position.

Nisbett needs to publicly challenge the AFL, something he has never had the nerve to do.

Different circumstances to Rioli as he tested positive to a banned substance but the timelines are interesting

Tested on 3/9/19 and provisionally suspended on 3/10/19 when results from the test came back. So just 3 weeks or so after Rioli was provisionally suspended.

Hearing before the NRL doping tribunal was held on 1/10/20 which is over 2 months earlier than Willie’s hearing before the AFL.

Decision has only been handed down today though so it took five and a half months for the NRL tribunal to reach a verdict.

SIA (ASADA) had asked for the full 4 years but the NRL tribunal reduced the potential ban to 20 months after accepting the players evidence that he ingested the substance accidentally after using a blender his flat mate had used previously and contaminated it with the banned substance.

Quicker to tribunal, hopefully it doesn’t take 5+ months for a verdict for Rioli

Different circumstances to Rioli as he tested positive to a banned substance but the timelines are interesting

Tested on 3/9/19 and provisionally suspended on 3/10/19 when results from the test came back. So just 3 weeks or so after Rioli was provisionally suspended.

Hearing before the NRL doping tribunal was held on 1/10/20 which is over 2 months earlier than Willie’s hearing before the AFL.

Decision has only been handed down today though so it took five and a half months for the NRL tribunal to reach a verdict.

SIA (ASADA) had asked for the full 4 years but the NRL tribunal reduced the potential ban to 20 months after accepting the players evidence that he ingested the substance accidentally after using a blender his flat mate had used previously and contaminated it with the banned substance.

Quicker to tribunal, hopefully it doesn’t take 5+ months for a verdict for Rioli

They believed the blender thing..wow

They believed the blender thing..wow

Yep.

“Segeyaro, who was tested while he was under contract to the Broncos, convinced the NRL’s Anti-Doping Tribunal the substance entered his system inadvertently.

His legal team provided expert witnesses which claimed residue from Di-Hydroxy LGD-4033 could still be present in a blender even after being washed multiple times, while his housemate admitted to buying the product.”

I was today years old when I heard of this case so know very little of the history of it other than I found through some quick research. Good odds SIA will appeal like they have in the Shayna Jack case - she got 2 years for the same stuff this guy was done for and also claimed it was taken inadvertently

Yep.

“Segeyaro, who was tested while he was under contract to the Broncos, convinced the NRL’s Anti-Doping Tribunal the substance entered his system inadvertently.

His legal team provided expert witnesses which claimed residue from Di-Hydroxy LGD-4033 could still be present in a blender even after being washed multiple times, while his housemate admitted to buying the product.”

I was today years old when I heard of this case so know very little of the history of it other than I found through some quick research. Good odds SIA will appeal like they have in the Shayna Jack case - she got 2 years for the same stuff this guy was done for and also claimed it was taken inadvertently

Assuming worst case scenario for the moment that Rioli deliberately tried to dupe the tester and conceal the action of putting Gatorade into the sample to avoid a positive test.

To our knowledge there’s no evidence or even so much as a suggestion that Rioli was using PEDs. There is evidence that he was using cannabis

So there’s a clear mitigating argument that IF he was trying to avoid detection for anything then it was cannabis and not anything more sinister. Now because this test was after training they wouldn’t even be testing for cannabis as it’s not a banned substance outside match day.

Tampering with a sample is undeniably a serious charge, hence the 4 year penalty but even on a worst case assumption it’s provable that he was guilty of no more than trying to avoid detection of something they weren’t testing for

To suggest that such action is worthy of 4 years is ridiculously harsh

Now assume best case that he put the Gatorade into the sample jar in full view of the tester for no other reason than he was frustrated at not being able to provide a sample and 4 years is completely out of whack

Quite simply he was not trying to cheat using PEDs and the evidence we know of supports that position. Anything other than the full 4 years shouldn’t be considered a win but a starting point

As an addition to this - the reason we know (and ASADA know) he was using cannabis, was that they specifically target tested him (at least twice from what I have read) after the alleged (is it still alleged?) tampering incident.

There is only one possible reason, when someone is about to face a charge as serious as tampering with a sample, to go and target test them (essentially in secret - as the athlete had not yet been advised of the charge). That is to find out the truth about what they may or may not have been hiding.

Now, because it didn't come back as EPO, steroids or another of the more serious performance enhancing substances isn't Willie's fault. It doesn't mean that evidence should not hold equal weight. Had it been EPO - he would be getting a guaranteed 4 years. But it was pot - that should be equally considered and speaks a lot to the mindset of the athlete at the time of the test.

It doesn't mean he is free of guilt of course, but highlights that 4-years would be seriously out of line in regards to the actions taken.

Two ‘groups’ being very quite about this incident and the protracted nature of the decision being handed down,

1. AFLPA
2. Willie’s manager.

Willie Rioli - a miscarriage of justice. Suspended longer than he played.

Based on both that statement and other cases

My understanding, which I think is the same as yours, is that the player ( and ASADA) find out the decision when the AFL anti-doping tribunal hands it down. They then both have the opportunity to appeal that decision. Once the appeals period expires the penalty is officially registered or if there is an appeal it isn’t registered until that process has concluded (like Essendon)

My main point is it’s extremely unlikely Rioli knows what the penalty is.

Unless the AFL don't want to release a statement until after the appeal period expires and they can state the final outcome and move on.

Once bitten twice shy! They were extremely embarrassed last time WADA appealed remember.

As an addition to this - the reason we know (and ASADA know) he was using cannabis, was that they specifically target tested him (at least twice from what I have read) after the alleged (is it still alleged?) tampering incident.

There is only one possible reason, when someone is about to face a charge as serious as tampering with a sample, to go and target test them (essentially in secret - as the athlete had not yet been advised of the charge). That is to find out the truth about what they may or may not have been hiding.

Now, because it didn't come back as EPO, steroids or another of the more serious performance enhancing substances isn't Willie's fault. It doesn't mean that evidence should not hold equal weight. Had it been EPO - he would be getting a guaranteed 4 years. But it was pot - that should be equally considered and speaks a lot to the mindset of the athlete at the time of the test.

It doesn't mean he is free of guilt of course, but highlights that 4-years would be seriously out of line in regards to the actions taken.

He should get no more than what the Essendon players got.

They lied on forms about what they were being injected aka that's avoiding a test IMO. They were sneaking around outside the club away from the club doctor to avoid scrutiny. They collectively and in a premeditated manner avoided ASADA scrutiny. If they not have lied ASADA would have ramped up testing and / or found out what was being injected.

Compared to Willie the Essendon players were 10 times more culpable of drug cheating and avoiding (tampering) ASADA testing.

So any more than what Essendon players copped would be a joke!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He should get no more than what the Essendon players got.

They lied on forms about what they were being injected aka that's avoiding a test IMO. They were sneaking around outside the club away from the club doctor to avoid scrutiny. They collectively and in a premeditated manner avoided ASADA scrutiny. If they not have lied ASADA would have ramped up testing and / or found out what was being injected.

Compared to Willie the Essendon players were 10 times more culpable of drug cheating and avoiding (tampering) ASADA testing.

So any more than what Essendon players copped would be a joke!
Not to mention the drugs Essendon were taking were for the express purpose of performance enhancement as opposed to just getting high. Enormous difference through the prism of sports drug testing.

Paddy Sweeney

@SweeneyPaddy9

·
12m

@ProtectingSport
say
@AFL
has Willie Rioli’s case, have been able to hand down penalty since December’s tribunal hearing. Believe SIA went public as they’re annoyed at delay. Could AFL be negotiating verdict to satisfy World Anti-Doping Authority?

Paddy Sweeney
@SweeneyPaddy9

·
12m

@ProtectingSport
say
@AFL
has Willie Rioli’s case, have been able to hand down penalty since December’s tribunal hearing. Believe SIA went public as they’re annoyed at delay. Could AFL be negotiating verdict to satisfy World Anti-Doping Authority?

Seems like a massive cop-out to me. Basically, as they don't sanction the athlete they are completely void of any responsibility. But surely they have the ability to question the timeframe taken.

I take it as the AFL are trying to negotiate a ban that won't be appealed, now we're already two years in which means that ASADA want at least 4.

They're right though. It's up to the AFL anti-doping tribunal to hand down a punishment. That's the hold up. WADA then decide whether they are happy with it or appeal it

All these "hurry up ASADA" petitions are directed at the wrong place.

Anti-doping test sample bottles

ANTI-DOPING

As Australia’s national anti-doping organisation we are responsible for implementing an effective program consistent with international requirements and Australian legislation.

That's from Sport Integrity Australia's website.

I'm not sure what the measure of an effective program is, but 525 days from notification to penalty doesn't fit that.

They say they are responsible for the whole lot - it is not fair, just because they have outsource the dirty work to the codes, to now claim zero responsibility.

The Eagles number 10 jumper has been worn in 527 AFL games.

By 5 different players, coincidentally 5 is the number of years we’ll have to wait for Willie’s verdict to be handed down.

Anti-doping test sample bottles

ANTI-DOPING

As Australia’s national anti-doping organisation we are responsible for implementing an effective program consistent with international requirements and Australian legislation.

That's from Sport Integrity Australia's website.

I'm not sure what the measure of an effective program is, but 525 days from notification to penalty doesn't fit that.

They say they are responsible for the whole lot - it is not fair, just because they have outsource the dirty work to the codes, to now claim zero responsibility.

I'm no defender of ASADA/SIA/whatever they call themselves now, but I took their statement the other day not as not running away from the responsibility, but as effectively publicly telling the AFL to hurry up and make a call.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back