Rumour Willie Rioli allegedly caught tampering with a drug testing sample

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't of thought the testing would be that specific

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
Absolutely. There are generally three active chemicals subject to dominant pharmacokinetic response in the body from weed - two are commonly referred to THC (this is the part that gets you 'high') and the third is commonly referred to as CBD (this is the part that is touted for its medicinal qualities).
The forms of the metabolite coming from pot use can also be distinguished. The THC metabolite 9-carboxy-THC detected in the urine sample, free and conjugated. The ratio of these forms dictates the general time from use. The CBD metabolite hydroxylated 7-COOH also appears in two forms.
The ratio of the two metabolites gives the 'strength' and the ratio of the forms of the same metabolite gives relative time from use.

This is all in a pretty general form, but I'm happy to go into more detail if you want some references. Individuals may have different specific responses, but the range of ratios is pretty accurate.

Absolutely. There are generally three active chemicals subject to dominant pharmacokinetic response in the body from weed - two are commonly referred to THC (this is the part that gets you 'high') and the third is commonly referred to as CBD (this is the part that is touted for its medicinal qualities).
The forms of the metabolite coming from pot use can also be distinguished. The THC metabolite 9-carboxy-THC detected in the urine sample, free and conjugated. The ratio of these forms dictates the general time from use. The CBD metabolite hydroxylated 7-COOH also appears in two forms.
The ratio of the two metabolites gives the 'strength' and the ratio of the forms of the same metabolite gives relative time from use.

This is all in a pretty general form, but I'm happy to go into more detail if you want some references. Individuals may have different specific responses, but the range of ratios is pretty accurate.
So just in layman's terms: they can measure the amount in the body and when it was consumed?

I would be interested to know if "Time served" will include the time off he is serving now by not playing?

My question would be how hard and fast the tampering rules are enforced. Let's say it went down as reported and in full view of the tester he filled the cup with Gatorade. The tester has no choice but to report the tampering as they're not their to interpret but to record. So he gets charged. Does common sense prevail if it wasn't a genuine attempt to tamper? He's stuffed on the dope thing, but I won't be surprised if the tampering comes to not much.

I'm hoping what happened was he tried to pass a sample but couldn't. Read somewhere that did occurred and they agreed to do a blood sample instead.

If after accepting the blood sample was happening he tipped Gatorade into the testing cup as a bit of a joke that backfired.....badly.

The Gatorade in the cup is just weird....totally silly and the last way to actually cheating a test.

But the testor followed the strict protocols.

He cops a whack for being stupid plus the positive to dope penalty.

I'm hoping what happened was he tried to pass a sample but couldn't. Read somewhere that did occurred and they agreed to do a blood sample instead.

If after accepting the blood sample was happening he tipped Gatorade into the testing cup as a bit of a joke that backfired.....badly.

The Gatorade in the cup is just weird....totally silly and the last way to actually cheating a test.

But the testor followed the strict protocols.

He cops a whack for being stupid plus the positive to dope penalty.
If they go for piss they leave with piss there is no take a blood sample instead option

He had the option of a expedited hearing and chose not to

Wasn't clear if it was his choice or not

If they go for piss they leave with piss there is no take a blood sample instead option

They got a blood sample after Rioli couldn't provide a urine sample after hours of waiting

“Willie Rioli was frustrated that he could not produce a urine sample after several hours with Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority testers when he put a sports drink into his sample jar,” the report read.

“He will claim he was dehydrated and unable to produce a urine sample when he made the baffling decision to pour the drink into the jar provided for his sample.”

According to the report, Rioli later had a blood test which did not reveal any illicit or performance enhancing substance in his body.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You seemed to know a fair bit.

And now you don't?

A tad sceptical with Freo posters hanging around a thread concerning the Eagles and drug issues.
A reporter reporting on a reporter does make a report ,

Do you honestly believe Asada would say no worries you can't piss we will do a blood test instead?

Would you agree thats hearsay / rumour then

Isn't it all hearsay and rumours for us? The only people who know what happened for sure are Rioli and the ASADA testers.

Things will come out in the trial when it happens. The delay in getting it done is the frustrating part, after 11 months of waiting people want to know how much the ban will be so people can move on with their lives.

Isn't it all hearsay and rumours for us? The only people who know what happened for sure are Rioli and the ASADA testers.

Things will come out in the trial when it happens. The delay in getting it done is the frustrating part, after 11 months of waiting people want to know how much the ban will be so people can move on with their lives.
True, sure its a long time as per usual with all asada cases and the option was there to extradite it , but its not delayed

Look at Shayna Jack, she tested positive in June 2019 and got her 4 year ban in Mar 2020 - both cases pretty straight forward you would think.
Highlights that even doing everything as fast as possible , that it still took 8 months to complete. It was Willies choice to take the slow path and for obvious reasons. You can't then afterwards blame asada when you knew from the beginning how long it would take

Wasn't clear if it was his choice or not

They got a blood sample after Rioli couldn't provide a urine sample after hours of waiting

I was under the impression they took a blood test at a later time because they saw the idiot tampering with his urine sample, which generally means you have something to hide.

It takes as long as it takes. If he didn’t smoke weed and attempt to cheat the test he wouldn’t be in this situation.

While I absolutely agree willie deserves the blame for his situation and I believe he will receive a significant ban, rightly so I might add.

There is a reason that the right to a speedy trial is considered a basic human right. If you were the argumentative type, you could make the argument that unnecessary delays impact the career of a sportsperson in a quicker timeframe than unnecessary delays in a regular criminal or civil setting

No consideration for the fragile young man's well being.

They're hanging him out to dry and it's a shame they don't have any sympathy for the young man's individual circumstances.

It's atrocious to be honest

Willie is such a good young fella with so much potential. This just detracts from all the good he could be doing.

I think he has learned his lesson and deserves so.e kind of communication so that his future isn't completely up in the air.

Smoked some cones, not really cheat.... it's not what the test is designed to catch. If hardly call the bloke a drug cheat.

I think you will find that Rioli had a blood test only after the club officials were aware of his 'not urine test'. In other words, I think the club ordered he have a blood test to prove he was drug free.
ASADA couldn't care less about any blood test. ASADA were there to collect urine for a drug test. What was provided during the test was not urine (apparently). 4 years is the penalty for tampering with a sample.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back