News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure I agree with painting him as the victim.

But after reading you post I agree with everything else.

Putting sponsors $ before right the Willie Ship shouldn't happen.

Fair, I mean sure there is a drug system in place and he's beholden to it and he's paid the ultimate price for it with a 2 year ban from the game for being too dumb to realise had he of just pissed in the pot and returned a positive test it would have been a consequence free misdemeanour. Can a victim of their own stupidity still be a victim? I'd say yes, in the truest sense he is a victim of a system that applies no common sense. But, thats the world we live in and who cares because its water under the bridge at this point. So far as the current offence, for the club to ruin a mans life by sacking him over a personal criminal matter on the same scale as copping a speeding ticket, for a crime that will likely be decriminalised entirely in coming years, just because it doesn't like the optics... that would be pissweak. And hence, why I doubt they will do it. They do have a history of letting the media dictate narratives to them rather than dictating narratives to the media, my reading of crazy voz's statements though is they will do the right thing by Willie while making the right noises. As I'm sure we all know though, it only takes one * head on the board or in HR to be a dishonourable campaigner and hit the panic button. Hopefully this is a turning point for the club. Teams that don't care about what others think of them win more premierships than those that do, because they have stronger internal values and identities. You can do the right thing by the player here by appealing to higher values, or do the wrong thing and sell out one of your own to the baying mob. Probably a 50/50 call tbh but I'd rather be optimistic and look forward to getting on with the season.

I honestly don't know what to say...
I just don't understand why he would take any risks with his return to training being relatively close.
I guess it's his choice what he chooses to do in his personal time, but surely he could have waited until the off-season, or ensure not to be in possession of it at the airport at least?

Last edited:
Yeah...don’t make this an Indigenous thing...

The elephant in the room is the disproportionate amount of off-field issues (fights, drugs, Covid breaches etc) encountered by the indigenous players of the league - absolutely nobody is game to point that out obviously - It would probably take a respected former champion like Adam Goodes or Eddie Betts to come out and say ‘guys....you are the highest profile representatives of your entire race in this country....do better’.

But I doubt that happens either.

Hardl
As an indigenous person I’m really upset for what’s happened here, it will just solidify the opinion that drafting a kid from a remote community is almost pointless due to the inherent risk involved.

The casual racist Eagles fan will also have a field day with the tag line “why do we bother drafting these fellas”.

Willie needs to wake up, he’s not just ruining his career he’s also stoping talented kids from getting drafted. Sad day for everyone.

Wont matter one bit imo, these indigenous kids absolutely chop up, and afl clubs are more nuanced and would be aware it could be a factor yet they are still drafting them at high rates. I get where your coming from though.

Very few people, if anyone, are annoyed about the weed.

They’re annoyed that a player serving a drugs suspension got caught with the same drug, at an airport no less, just a month out from returning to the club.

The club have been paying him as confirmed by Vozzo, but that’s irrelevant to me. He’s an Eagles player, he’s on our list, he’s keeping someone else out of work and he’s not holding up his end of the bargain.

Nobody gives a sh*t that it’s weed, nobody is saying weed is the antichrist and alcohol is fantastic. People are annoyed a brain dead decision from one of our players.

+ 1,000,000,000,000,000,000

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Praying it goes away just like the sample substitution...

Dumbest sh*t, but I don't think it really changes much. Contracted still, so we'll have to address the situation when he returns to the club & determine an appropriate response (fine/discipline/training etc).

Need to keep him on a tight leash though.
That is the response you see or get from so many indigenous people in regards to so many things.
For us on the outside it is hard for us to understand but naivety is a trait I see so much up here

Might want to wait to see what the AFL does as well, if they do issue him with a second strike and that results in a four week addition to his ban, that’s season over. And could be the catalyst to delist him and free up a mid season draft spot.
I was under the impression that because it’s a criminal charge of possession and not a positive test that it can’t be a third strike, nor can it impact his current suspension.

Can’t remember where exactly I read it, but I remember reading that earlier today.

I was under the impression that because it’s a criminal charge of possession and not a positive test that it can’t be a third strike, nor can it impact his current suspension.

Can’t remember where exactly I read it, but I remember reading that earlier today.
That's what I thought too. I think it will ultimately come down to the club in terms of further sanctions.

Cut him loose! - Ainsworth is training the house down anyway!?
(Just trying to make light of a bad and disappointing situation.)

Goddamn it Willy, you mightn't be the sharpest tool in the toolbox,
but you couldn't keep yourself clean after the last bust?
And you didn't declare it to the club for 2 weeks, until you're just about to go to court?........maaaaate?

Curious why indigenous players suffer more from pay cuts than other players-if you were to run with the number of indigenous players caught up in recent problems?

Wasnt the initial one after we had just returned from Alice? Without making this a race issue, the reality is that is how these communities are, the issue runs a lot deeper than just Willie and his footballing career, he’s just another one of the masses.

We need to draw a line and tell him that either he and his immediate family move down here for the remainder of his career or we’re cutting him loose. I think he’d be fine down here with his teammates in a footballing bubble.

There was a huge mistake made by just letting him go off and do his own thing. Hopefully SIA, the AFL and our club can learn something from this and not just leave him (and others in the future) isolated with no support.

SIA f*cked up by pissing around, if a ban is handed down earlier then perhaps a genuine plan could have been put in place. The club and AFL probably couldn’t do a whole lot once he was up there outside of having a babysitter for 2 years, which is ridiculous. So the only other option was to have him down here with the club the entire time, Covid admittedly made that tough but he was also frozen out and shamed nearly instantly by the media, fans and everyone else involved, so it was an easy escape just to go home.

He’s a d*ckhead but it’s a lot more than him just being a moron, it’s a way of life where he’s from and something that wasn’t supported enough and left to rot. Really hope everyone involved can continue to learn valuable lessons.
Up here you constantly see and hear about kids as young as 7 smoking joints it is an issue that is ingrained from such a young age.

Lol. Two year jail term. Funny one!

"Cannabis has been decriminalised to possess or use in the Northern Territory. Decriminalisation means that you will not automatically face criminal charges if you possess small amounts of cannabis."

And It's not trafficking I don't think .
You need over 50 grams for that I'm guessing.
Im no cop but I thought 28gms was possession with intent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back