News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

The only way you can argue this wasn’t intentional, was that he was high af.

Or that he didn't understand/wasn't explained the difference between in and out of competition tests.

ie. he mistook the ASADA drug testers as people who were also testing for out of comp illicit substances.

Since the beginning of this whole thing, numerous people, including Gil, have said it is not a straightforward case due to the simply odd circumstances.

My personal opinion is that it is pretty clear that Willie did not intend to circumvent testing because he was intending to cheat.

I think 2 years will be the maximum. But so much mystery and yet to be known circumstances about what happened and why it all happened.

Intentional can't be ruled out either.

Which one is ok to tamper with?

The definition of intentional “is to identify those athletes who cheat”.

There is certainly a case to be made that Willies actions were not motivated with the intention of trying to cheat.

Basically it is a question of whether AFL and ASADA want an athlete to be banned for 4 years for smoking pot and trying to hide it.

I would say that is not in anyone’s best interests.

On the surface The argument is there to be made. But obviously there are far more facts to the case that we are not privy to.

I think people automatically saying 4 years are somewhat pessimistic, and not really reading the tea leaves.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

On the eave of their finals appearance last night, Parramatta NRL player Michael Jennings was provisionally suspended for PED use following testing.

Ironically Parra also wear blue and gold should a conspiracy theory emerge.

It will be interesting to see how long the process takes as a comparison of AFL and VFL workings under the same ASADA overview. A head to head contest - same player background, finals involvement and team colour.

On the eave of their finals appearance last night, Parramatta NRL player Michael Jennings was provisionally suspended for PED use following testing.

Ironically Parra also wear blue and gold should a conspiracy theory emerge.

It will be interesting to see how long the process takes as a comparison of AFL and VFL workings under the same ASADA overview. A head to head contest - same player background, finals involvement and team colour.
Two points added:
1. If you are talking about Jenning and Rioli, they do not have the same player background. Jenning has Tonga origin and Riolli is Australian Indigenous (islander) background.
2. Though NRL is an Australian League, Rudby League is international and hence have to be bounded by WADA with ASADA as the local representative. AFL is local to Australia and is not an international sport. It is managed by AFL with ASADA as the consultant.

Two points added:
1. If you are talking about Jenning and Rioli, they do not have the same player background. Jenning has Tonga origin and Riolli is Australian Indigenous (islander) background.
2. Though NRL is an Australian League, Rudby League is international and hence have to be bounded by WADA with ASADA as the local representative. AFL is local to Australia and is not an international sport. It is managed by AFL with ASADA as the consultant.
I was thinking both are of the same status as match winners suspended on the ever of a final where both their teams lost the winnable in part as a result fo the suspension, not ethnicicity or I would have said so.
Your second point, to me, highlights the interesting situation and puts a spotlight on the last 13 months - with not a word. Will The NRL dilly dally for so long? Isn't ASADA the local franchise of WADA in reality?
I feel that Rioli's spepension last year finished our run then and cost us dearly this year.

Last edited:
I was thinking both are of the same status as match winners suspended on the ever of a final where both their teams lost the winnable in part as a result fo the suspension, not ethnicicity or I would have said so.
Your second point, to me, highlights the interesting situation and puts a spotlight on the last 13 months - with not a word. Will The NRL dilly dally for so long? Isn't ASADA the local franchise of WADA in reality?
I feel that Rioli's spepension last year finished our run then and cost us dearly this year.
ASADA is a Federal Government Agency. It‘s role and responsibilities are different with different sports. In this case it is the AFL‘s problem as ASADA is contracted to act on AFL behalf.
If you run a local indoor soccer competition and want to incorporate some drug rules. You can always request ASADA to do it for you. Of course, Time, Cost, Quality will be the parameters you have to deal with.

I think this is interesting even though ASADA are not involved I believe.

“Adelaide’s Brad Crouch and Tyson Stengle have been suspended by the AFL for two and four games respectively for being caught with illicit drugs.”

Caught with the white stuff and referred to the AFL for punishment rather than charged by police. Stengles chicken even had the prior Drink driving offence. Two and four games is SFA. I would say cocaine is not a drug you dive into off the bat also.

Either way, makes the Rioli weed issue seem like nothing in my opinion. Hope the dicks in AFL house can get their heads around scheduling a date soon

“Adelaide’s Brad Crouch and Tyson Stengle have been suspended by the AFL for two and four games respectively for being caught with illicit drugs.”

Caught with the white stuff and referred to the AFL for punishment rather than charged by police. Stengles chicken even had the prior Drink driving offence. Two and four games is SFA. I would say cocaine is not a drug you dive into off the bat also.

Either way, makes the Rioli weed issue seem like nothing in my opinion. Hope the dicks in AFL house can get their heads around scheduling a date soon
Riolis issue is nothing to do with weed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still kinda optimistic that sanity will prevail and he'll only get 18 months. No one would be angry about that, he's pretty obviously just a young idiot rather than a cheat.
Anything less than the full 4 years and WADA will appeal it. Cant see him getting anything less than a career ending ban unfortunately.

he tested positive to it after the elimination final win over Essendon.

Positive test to cannabis
With the AFLs illicit drugs framework, this wouldn't even result in any punishment.

I'm not sure what I missed over the preceding 180 pages, but his weed positive test is irrelevant to his ongoing suspension.

Not really any comparison with Willie as has been stated.

If anything, it’s more akin to Ben Cousins getting a year for ‘Bringing the Game into disrepute’ after his shirtless drug arrest in 2007...for which he was never actually charged with a drug offence....something the league hasn’t felt the need to wheel out since.

I guess I was inferring to a rather small penalty handed down by the AFL for drugs and drink driving. I understand that Willie still has the tampering issue to deal with but I’m hoping they could be on our side for this one. If it was a cox up then I’m optimistic he’s playing finals next year

Anything less than the full 4 years and WADA will appeal it. Cant see him getting anything less than a career ending ban unfortunately.

Based on?

Just your general default pessimism?

Based on?

Just your general default pessimism?
If Willie gets anything less than a full sentence what's stopping other athletes who actually use PEDs similarly tainting their piss tests and saying 'whoops?'. You absolutely have to hand out the harshest sentence. Non negotiable. Some ignorant posts on this board about this topic remind me of those who believed Gaff would get three or four weeks for breaking Brayshaw's jaw. Complete denial.

If Willie gets anything less than a full sentence what's stopping other athletes who actually use PEDs similarly tainting their piss tests and saying 'whoops?'.
He still had to give a sample after the tampered one.

If Willie gets anything less than a full sentence what's stopping other athletes who actually use PEDs similarly tainting their piss tests and saying 'whoops?'. You absolutely have to hand out the harshest sentence. Non negotiable. Some ignorant posts on this board about this topic remind me of those who believed Gaff would get three or four weeks for breaking Brayshaw's jaw. Complete denial.

Doesn’t it depend on the circumstances of how he tainted it? About which we’ve only had a bunch of inconsistent unofficial reports.

I'm still kinda optimistic that sanity will prevail and he'll only get 18 months. No one would be angry about that, he's pretty obviously just a young idiot rather than a cheat.

Sorry he was 24 at the time of the offence, one excuse that cant be used is him being young

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back