News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

ASADA don’t determine his sentence though. Both Willie/WC and ASADA put forward their case to an AFL hearing who determine his penalty.

Can anyone explain how the NRL player who had cocaine in his system playing in the 2020 grand final may not miss a single game?

Just read about it and TBH................I'm totally baffled.

Cocaine in system on match day being the grand final = no games suspension.

Willie with weed in the system = min 18 months to 4 year suspension max?

I....JUST......DONT....GET....IT!!!!! :think: :oops::huh:

Can anyone explain how the NRL player who had cocaine in his system playing in the 2020 grand final may not miss a single game?

Apparently from 2021 WADA is relaxing their stance on recreational drugs, if the player can prove it was taken for recreational purposes.

I think with Willie its more about tampering with a sample than the weed.

If Willie didn't tamper with the test and merely tested positive to weed then he may not have missed a game either.

Willies a bit of an idiot then. Probably getting what he deserves really.

Unfortunately the club and fans suffer too.

An interminable wait without resolution is not what he deserves.

If he ****ed up bad enough to get hit with the 4 year stick at least let the bloke get on with his life.

Justice delayed is justice denied.

Willies a bit of an idiot then. Probably getting what he deserves really.

Unfortunately the club and fans suffer too.
Can't agree, a rash decision made in minutes or even hours is not the same as months or more of systematic doping. To pay the same price is tough. The rules are there and he needs wear it but to suffer the same penalty as full on dopers is not what he deserves.

After almost 1.5 years you still don’t get it?

It’s the tampering of the sample that’s at issue here...

After almost 1.5 years you still don’t get it?

It’s the tampering of the sample that’s at issue here...

Well that issue still hasnt been disclosed nor prosocuted.

All that has occurred is delay.......covid not helping.

He pooed his pants at a test because he smoked pot. Get caught playing in a grand final on coke which is actually performance enhancing but get no suspension?

Willie didnt panic because he was caught cheating to improve performance on game day. He just didnt want to be caught smoking pot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He pooed his pants at a test because he smoked pot. Get caught playing in a grand final on coke which is actually performance enhancing but get no suspension?

Willie didnt panic because he was caught cheating to improve performance on game day. He just didnt want to be caught smoking pot.

The subsequent pot finding & tampering easy link to draw.

Though based on Nisbet's statement last month, it doesn't seem like we'll be arguing that.
- tampering was a separate issue born out of frustration of not being able to provide a sample
- He also smoke pot, but that did not contribute to the tampering incident

Not sure whether it's true or not, but I suspect we're arguing this way to establish that the tampering was not deliberate in any way.

Whilst this is the logical conclusion of why he did what he did, we don't know that and can't assume that. Just because someone who tampered wasn't subsequently caught with PEDs doesn't mean they weren't using them and tampered to avoid being caught. The whole basis of having the ability to penalise tampering so severely is to stop PED cheats taking the lesser option of simply tampering with their sample every time they fear they may be caught.

I don't think for a minute Willie was on PEDs. He did what he did either out of frustration or because he had been smoking pot or both and was a fool. But no system can work on those type of assumptions.

The delays, however, are beyond a joke and show ASADA is not fit for purpose and should not be used by the AFL (in my view).

Whilst this is the logical conclusion of why he did what he did, we don't know that and can't assume that. Just because someone who tampered wasn't subsequently caught with PEDs doesn't mean they weren't using them and tampered to avoid being caught. The whole basis of having the ability to penalise tampering so severely is to stop PED cheats taking the lesser option of simply tampering with their sample every time they fear they may be caught.

I don't think for a minute Willie was on PEDs. He did what he did either out of frustration or because he had been smoking pot or both and was a fool. But no system can work on those type of assumptions.

The delays, however, are beyond a joke and show ASADA is not fit for purpose and should not be used by the AFL (in my view).

I agree with what you are saying, but would also add the following:

Willie was target tested after his alleged tampering incident - it was that target test that showed the presence of marijuana.

The whole basis of the target test would/should be to get some clarity around what was being 'covered up' at the tampering stage (as ASADA hadn't advised Willie of the charge they knew based on their own procedures that any adverse finding would/could not be a separate charge). Just because the evidence (marijuana) doesn't fit the worst potential outcome (PED) that second test cannot be discounted. ASADA chose to further investigate via testing, and now that must be taken into account (not saying the suspension is the same as a marijuana suspension - just that it indicates that the full 4-years isn't warranted in this case and maybe something like 2-years is more appropriate).

I agree with what you are saying, but would also add the following:

Willie was target tested after his alleged tampering incident - it was that target test that showed the presence of marijuana.

The whole basis of the target test would/should be to get some clarity around what was being 'covered up' at the tampering stage (as ASADA hadn't advised Willie of the charge they knew based on their own procedures that any adverse finding would/could not be a separate charge). Just because the evidence (marijuana) doesn't fit the worst potential outcome (PED) that second test cannot be discounted. ASADA chose to further investigate via testing, and now that must be taken into account (not saying the suspension is the same as a marijuana suspension - just that it indicates that the full 4-years isn't warranted in this case and maybe something like 2-years is more appropriate).
That's true too but not all PEDs show up and obviously with the passage of time, some leave the system. I have always felt 2 years was about right but just saying we can't all assume when it's someone we like that the reason they did something is the most benign reason. We tend to judge foreign athletes a lot harsher when caught for drug breaches than we do for Australian ones, and try to find excuses and believe their explanations when it is one of our own.

Maybe he smoked pot after because he was stressed about what he had done and there potentially was/would have been no pot in his initial sample.

Sometimes stress can bring out Old habits

Money would be on this.

He would have known he stuffed the test doing what he did. Would have not heard anything and stressing him out so hitting the bong to help the nerves was probably what he did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back