Review Winners and losers 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't complain. Lynch was basically free. Only cost us the compo for Conca. So essentially we traded Conca for Lynch. That's a massive win. Lost some fringe players for late picks. No loss there.

Although you did lose some good depth by bringing in Lynch. So I wouldn’t say he was basically free. It will be interesting to see how the Tigers go next year.

giphy.gif
Just a tip, Thomas was a PSD pick, so if you judged him on the last day of trade, you are lying :)

Melbourne did better than anyone.

As good as Hogan is or could be, their side lifted enormously when he was out of it (probably coincidentally, not because of him being out) and he was surplus to their needs up forward. Then they add May to a solid back 6, with Lever to come back from injury. Don't know much about KK.

Tigers did well to get Lynch. He will change their team dramatically. They lost a lot of depth to fit him in, but he's the kind of player you build a gameplan around. Wonder how it'll work and how long it will take to gel.

Fremantle finally have a forward line but it cost them their best player.

The hawks did okay on the Wingard deal. Burton out, Wingard in makes us a better 22. If Scully and Scrimshaw produce anything decent then we've had a great trade period.

Although you did lose some good depth by bringing in Lynch. So I wouldn’t say he was basically free. It will be interesting to see how the Tigers go next year.

I'd argue they would all have left regardless. It will be interesting to see how Lynch changes how we play. Or if we have a worse run with injuries with a bit less depth. Don't rate Conca or Ellis. Miles has hardly played and Lloyd is a ok player. No great loss imo.

Winners:
Richmond - got the best player available and for free. Shuffled out a few guys who didn't play

After that I'm not all that convinced if any team made a huge leap forward. A lot of deals that involved shuffling back and forth.

Teams like Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn and Melbourne might've all improved but gave up a lot to do so and now the cost has to be measured in future picks, team balance and salary cap. What future opportunities did they pass up?

North did well but not enough to be a winner. Same with Adelaide.

Similarly I like where Brisbane are heading but the future first is a heavy price and if McCarthy and Adams live in the medical room then they'll be praying for the Pies to drop down the ladder! Same with Freo, they lost their most consistent player. Could both teams have somehow won and lost the Neale deal?

Losers:
Gold Coast - got a good haul but lost their captains
Port - surely fell right out of flag contention
GWS - fell backwards having to clean up the salary cap

I think you are looking at it glass half full.
Freo would be wrapped. Picked up one of the best young key forwards in the game and another big man who can play. Yeah they lost Neale but they have good young midfielders coming through.

The bombers needed a player like Shiel. Fact is, you need to give up draft picks to get top ready made players. Draft picks are over-rated. Yep this draft is good, but how many are going to be better than some of the ready made players. Top 6 or 7 may be strong, but still a lottery.

And Pies basically gave away potentially a pick 14-18 next year for Dayne Beams. Would take that any day of the week.

Freo would be wrapped. Picked up one of the best young key forwards in the game and another big man who can play. Yeah they lost Neale but they have good young midfielders coming through.

The bombers needed a player like Shiel. Fact is, you need to give up draft picks to get top ready made players. Draft picks are over-rated. Yep this draft is good, but how many are going to be better than some of the ready made players. Top 6 or 7 may be strong, but still a lottery.

And Pies basically gave away potentially a pick 14-18 next year for Dayne Beams. Would take that any day of the week.
Except Beams and Buckley will start infighting again. :moustache:

WC losers, tried to lowball/bluff the Cats and got called.

Cats winners, get to keep Kelly for an extra year on low coin, won't lose any trade value next year.

It seems like every other club was prepared to make a deal for every other player do go where they wanted expect the cats with Kelly. Who probably had the best reason to go out of everyone.

Everyone's a winner in the trade period. Ditto with the draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For what they spent to improve their team I think Melbourne are a winner.

May is one of the best defenders in the league at his position.
I’d rather Hogan to be honest, but I suppose they made the best out of a tough situation

Outstanding trade period by my club. Smashed it.

NORTH MELBOURNE

IN: Pick No.47, 48, 49, 55, Jared Polec, Jasper Pittard, Dom Tyson, Aaron Hall

OUT: Picks No.11, 31, 68, Ryan Clarke, Braydon Preuss future fourth-round pick

DRAFT PICKS: 42, 47, 48, 49, 55, 58, 86

JAY CLARK SAYS: Super trade period for the Roos, despite missing Andrew Gaff. Aaron Hall was an absolute bargain and can light up games, while Jasper Pittard and Jared Polec add some electric outside midfield run. Dom Tyson will play 20 matches onball, helping keep Jack Ziebell forward. Plus they still have salary cap room for Josh Kelly next year.

GRADE: A
Bulk C and 1 B grader. Just a pass tbh, also missed out on gaff

I don’t know if anyone lost really. I would say GWS but they seem happy with they did so maybe internally they don’t rate lobb or Shiel as much as some of us?

Gold Coast got a shit ton of picks which is what they wanted. Get rid of the players who don’t want to be there, hit the draft and get in some talent.

Winners are the teams that improved their list through the trade period:

Hawthorn, Carlton, Essendon, Collingwood, St Kilda, Richmond (albeit losing depth), Geelong, North,

Neutral: Port Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Fremantle

Losers: Sydney, West Coast, GWS, Gold Coast, Adelaide, Bulldogs

All teams have the draft period to even it all up.
Brisbane’s list has definitely improved - a fit Marcus Adams paired with Harris Andrews really strengthens their backline.

Based on age and injury history I think Neale is a better fit for Brisbane than Beams and they’ve got some quality youth coming through the midfield, so I don’t think losing Beams will hurt them.

Brisbane are definitely winners in my eyes.

Brisbane’s list has definitely improved - a fit Marcus Adams paired with Harris Andrews really strengthens their backline.

Based on age and injury history I think Neale is a better fit for Brisbane than Beams and they’ve got some quality youth coming through the midfield, so I don’t think losing Beams will hurt them.

Brisbane are definitely winners in my eyes.
Additionally, Neale will be able to apply significantly more defensive pressure than Beams.

Port losing Wingard and Polec, 2 SA boys who wanted to be in SA when going to Port, Wingard at draft time wanting to stay in SA and Polec going home from Brisbane, both top 5 players at Port, 2 of Ports best ball users and 2 players who can move faster than a snail both leaving.
Something isn't right down there.

Port now with the slowest team in the AFL.
3 top 15 picks, get Burton. As much as losing Polec hurt, Wingard hasn’t looked all Australian in a couple of years. I think we’ve actually done okay.

Rather than say who are the winners and losers I’ll say who are the most overated winners:Hawthorn.

Gave away a gun back man for a loose canon Wingard also picked up a shot Scully and lazy Scrimshaw.North not that far behind with a host of b/c graders.

Adelaide: I'll be interested to see what they do with their first-rounders. I bet their real business isn't done yet. Anyway I think getting a first-rounder for McGovern is a good deal, especially when they get someone who could easily do a Ryan/Rioli as the steak knives, whereas Stengle has a lot of promise as a Betts replacement. B+

Brisbane: It isn't really a straight swap, and they'd be hoping for a weaker 2019 from Collingwood/better 2019 from them, but Beams for Neale is a good deal given their list profile. Adams and McCarthy could be real stars if they stay fit (though if they don't....) There's risk here and it kinda ruins their 2014 draft, but in 3 years time they may be laughing. Best news? None of the three they picked up were Queenslanders, and one of them is a genuine gun. B

Carlton: Did very well to get one potential star, one guy who should fill a key role in their side and two solid depth options in an age bracket where they're lacking without touching #1 or their 2019 first (which will likely be a Top 3 pick). Did have to give up a few good second rounders but they already have a lot of promising prospects, it's just a matter of getting the real cream and for their maybes to develop into players. I'm not convinced Shiel would've been the best option given their list is still very much a developing one. A-

Collingwood: Bit of a price to give up for Beams, they'd be hoping they don't tank in 2019. Still he is a star and their midfield now looks West Coast 2006-esque. Roughead seems like a nice depth option, especially given their talls being injury prone. Also kept Moore and Langdon despite rumours they'd leave. B-

Essendon: Their midfield was pretty much one gun away from being a real good one, and what d'you know, they found one. Not a super active period but they just needed to find the last piece of the puzzle, and Shiel might yet be it. A-

Fremantle: Losing Neale hurts.....but given they had no real hand for 2018 other than their first rounder, basically signing a new forward line and a couple of decent depth midfielders while their real stars develop is a great window. And they still have a first rounder anyway. A

Geelong: Solid enough, I guess. Dahlhaus and Rohan could give their forward line a new defensive edge, and the players they lost were basically fringe. Kept Kelly too which is important as I think next year is probably their last real chance at a flag with this list. B-

Gold Coast: Ouch. I suppose there are saving graces - they have a fresh start, and they have 3 Top 6 picks in a draft where the best 6 or so players would probably be the #1 pick in most drafts. But it's hard to spin a window where they've lost their two captains and two recent-ish Top 10 picks, and basically only bought in VFL-tier players. D

Greater Western Sydney: At least Gold Coast have saving graces. I can't really spin their window at all. Have probably ruined their dynasty through horrid cap management. F

Hawthorn: Did have to pay a hefty fee for Wingard, but he seems the type that could turn into an absolute freak at Hawthorn. Scully and Scrimshaw are very low-risk options and could pay out very generous rewards. Only downside is that their youth is looking worrying and with their 2018 draft gone they pretty much need to strike either this year or next. B

Melbourne: Hogan is a loss, but they at least have cover. And they used the outlay they got for him to gain a guy that could turn their defence from iffy to dominant, and a high-upside guy as steak knives. As for Tyson/Preuss, Melbourne will feel that they traded that a guy that didn't really fit their structure for an excellent Plan B if Gawn were to go down. Very nice. A-

North Melbourne: Not sure here, I get a real Port 2017 vibe for their window. Where does Tyson fit? Hall seems like the type that has a great month to start the season before the real reasons why Gold Coast effectively let him go come clear (ala Watts). Pittard is also a bit of a calamity of a player in a side that wasn't exactly short of them. And they failed to land Gaff, who would've been perfect. If it works then it's a great window....I'm less than certain that it will and if it doesn't then things start to look really grim here. C+

Port Adelaide: Oh dear. Burton might be a genuine gun, but their list is not a young one and for a side that is lacking in class losing two of their best users has to bite hard. Worse, one of them effectively tanked his draft position to get to Port and the other signed with them because of homesickness. What does it say about their club that they can't keep players like that? D+

Richmond: Well they got the best available player in the pool for free, so that's a huge win. They did lose a fair bit of depth so if injuries strike their midfield things could look worrying, but Lynch probably solves their one real discernible weakness. A-

St Kilda: Were handicapped with having few assets of value, so it would've hard for them to pull off an excellent window. I like the Kent deal, and if they can get Hannebury back to his 2013-16 form then they're laughing. I don't think ruining their draft to get Shiel would've been the best move given their list position, so not much lost there. Overall not much to really write home about though. C+

Sydney: Not the kind of window I liked. I don't think Hannebery and Rohan in their current form and given their pay packets are huge losses, but their gains don't inspire too much confidence, and they missed out on a lot of players they were heavily linked to. They'd be hoping Clarke and Thurlow be like their 2000's recruits desperately. C-

West Coast: Couldn't get Kelly, but did keep Gaff. Lycett for Hickey is a bit of a loss, but Hickey is mostly depth. C

Western Bulldogs: Missed out on Wingard, who would've been perfect for their list. Not really sold on Duryea but Lloyd could be solid. C+

Essendon are certainly happy with Shiel and he's a nice pick up for a fair but solid price. How much better does he make them though? I'm not super convinced in just adding one guy.

Pies gave up 2 first rounders without a heap back for a 28 year old who plays in their strongest position. He'll be handy the new few years but doesn't solve their key defensive issues and isn't that half back or wing bit of polish they wouldn't say no to.

Freo traded out of a prime draft position where you can find the best of the best players and traded out their most reliable midfielder. I like their young mids but you need senior bodies to give them time. Freo's senior ball winning midfielders are now Fyfe and ??? Conca? Lobb is a talent for a good price. Hogan is a great talent for a good price but what's the value of a key forward these days? I guess we'll find out if Freo have the backline and midfield talent and were being held back by not having a forward line or if they now have some forward targets but a midfield in need of patching. I still think the best way to improve a crap team is to nail a bunch of high draft picks. I can see the merits of Hogan for Neale. And I can see the mertis of effectively trading back multiple times for Lobb and a 1st round pick. I would've tried to trade up for Lobb with second rounders and kept a pick at the pointy end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back