Review Winners and losers 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

No we didnt, and we didnt give up 2 first rounders like you did with treloar

The only one i think is a loss is Lloyd, all the others were list cloggers and will be replaced by kids which will only make us better in the long term

Any Team would of Traded 2 1st Rounders for Treloar,

You where doing it Straight Up and not offering a Pick back

Any Team would of Traded 2 1st Rounders for Treloar,

You where doing it Straight Up and not offering a Pick back

In hindsight no chance we would have. Would have cost us a flag.

I am not worried about JZ forward. 35 goals and played as a part time mid is a good result. He also teams well with Brown by helping block etc. He is a great tackler as well and is good at locking the ball in.

Last chance for Hall which can bring out the best in players. For a late pick he is worth the risk imo.

We also bring in a top 10 talented kid in Thomas and Scott who is in the mid 20 range. All by using 3rd and 4th round picks. A couple of a bargains
Exactly.

Hall is the definition of a downhill skier, and only seemed to fire when the team as a whole fired - but could completely vanish when we were fighting for a win (runs one way, defensive effort is lacklustre). When he fired though, he was enormous; he'd destroy teams when the momentum was ceaselessly going forward. He's worth a punt if all you're giving up is a late draft pick, though.

Polec's the big pickup for North IMO. He's one of the best wingers in the game, and outside pace was something North needed to address - so grabbing one of the best in the business is a major tick.

We gave up 2 first rounders for Treloar.

While it seemed a lot at the time, turned out ok.

You don't remember the draft picks you never took.

I bet Collingwood would happily pay two 1ts again for Treloar. Essendon with Shiel and Hawthorn with Chad have paid over in the eyes of many, but in the AFL, I reckon a bird in the hand is worth 3 or 4 in the bush, especially when those in the bush are unknowns.

Rather than draft a few 1st round kids (who could of been awesome, could of been busts) we have traded out of the past 3 drafts (including this year) to get Mitchell, O'Meara, Impey and Chad while drafting Worpel and Morrison to add to the depth. We gave up Burton the other way but I still think its a great way to approach it and Im glad my club goes about it that way.

Can't complain. Lynch was basically free. Only cost us the compo for Conca. So essentially we traded Conca for Lynch. That's a massive win. Lost some fringe players for late picks. No loss there.
I would give Richmond's trade period a loss. Richmond has been blessed with a lack of injuries, and if a couple happen, there will be a lot of issues at Tigerland.

I bet Collingwood would happily pay two 1ts again for Treloar. Essendon with Shiel and Hawthorn with Chad have paid over in the eyes of many, but in the AFL, I reckon a bird in the hand is worth 3 or 4 in the bush, especially when those in the bush are unknowns.

Rather than draft a few 1st round kids (who could of been awesome, could of been busts) we have traded out of the past 3 drafts (including this year) to get Mitchell, O'Meara, Impey and Chad while drafting Worpel and Morrison to add to the depth. We gave up Burton the other way but I still think its a great way to approach it and Im glad my club goes about it that way.
Even if you nail a draft pick, the first 30-50 games is learning. By the way, the percentage of nailing a pick is shocking low.

People over value picks and trading in players makes a lot of sense to me.

I would give Richmond's trade period a loss. Richmond has been blessed with a lack of injuries, and if a couple happen, there will be a lot of issues at Tigerland.
I can see how some might view our trade period this way. We didn’t moneyball as we got rid of very good vfl players and only brought in one gun. But given the state of our list and we are aiming for another flag not rebuilding, we went the right way.

Injuries may hit us next year, but Miles, Ellis, Lloyd and Stengle were not the answer.

Adding Lynch will give us a West Coast style forward line. Now just to convince Dimma to turn one of Graham, McIntosh or Ellis into a pure midfield defensive stopper.

I bet Collingwood would happily pay two 1ts again for Treloar.

Treloar is a gun.

But the two picks they gave up were high first rounders. Those picks netted weideman and Logue who both would be straight into key posts in Collingwoods best 18.

But trading is all about creating a side that eventually wins a flag. So if Collingwood wins one with Adam in the side, their gamble paid off.

Regardless he’s going to give them many years of good service.

I can see how some might view our trade period this way. We didn’t moneyball as we got rid of very good vfl players and only brought in one gun. But given the state of our list and we are aiming for another flag not rebuilding, we went the right way.

Injuries may hit us next year, but Miles, Ellis, Lloyd and Stengle were not the answer.

Adding Lynch will give us a West Coast style forward line. Now just to convince Dimma to turn one of Graham, McIntosh or Ellis into a pure midfield defensive stopper.
Richmond's success was based off 5 superstars (Rance, Martin, Riewoldt, Nankervis and Cotchin) and a lot of depth. An injury to a superstar and no depth to cover him will create issues but we'll have the benefit of hindsight within 8 months

Richmond's success was based off 5 superstars (Rance, Martin, Riewoldt, Nankervis and Cotchin) and a lot of depth. An injury to a superstar and no depth to cover him will create issues but we'll have the benefit of hindsight within 8 months
Yep. Miles, Ellis, Lloyd wouldn’t have been adequate cover for Cotchin or Martin. But they are Brownlow medalists so this is understandable. Lynch provides more than adequate cover for Riewoldt. In fact it makes our forward line one of the most potent in the league. Our backline system would help if we lost Rance but Nankervis getting injured would be disastrous. Soldo and Coleman-Jones would come in a year before they are truly ready. Stengle may become a player but we have good coverage in this area. Our losses this trade period were VFL quality players, not Brownlow or AA replacements.

Adding Lynch and keeping our first rounder was a good win for us. Now we have another superstar to add to the five you mentioned.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we targeted a young gun mid at next year’s trade period though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you traded in Treloar, you probably wouldn't have traded in Chris Yarran or Dion Prestia and ended up in exactly the same position.

We wouldnt have rioli, graham or caddy as well as prestia

Lol. Tigers lost nothing in the trade period. If you really think we lost crucial depth you aren't familiar with the Richmond squad.

We got a straight up gun AA 25yr fwd for nothing. That only matters if we nail that drafting pick or two we saved. Do that and we easily won the trade period. If not then we're the equal of Bomber Freo Brisbane Demons Hawks who also secured AA level talent.

I like what Brisbane and Melbourne did most personally.

Hawthorn adding Wingard and Scully is huge for them (if Scully can play a full season fit). He was just about GWS’ best player in 2017.
The only problem for the Hawks is their depth in my opinion, drops away fairly drastically after their best 15 or so players - a result of being so high for so long and not really having any talented youngsters come through apart from Hardwick and Sicily. Would expect finals but no chance of a flag.

Hawthorn I have trouble judging. If Scully comes good they are laughing if not it could be horrible for them.
They are probably spending $900k on Scrimshaw and Scully with no real guarantees

Where is pendles? Has not been sighted since the first quarter of the grand final.
Not sure where Pendles is?

I assume he is on holiday.

I suppose at least he was playing in the GF. If you don't think Pendles is a consistent A grader, I feel sorry for you.

Beams will only help him as well.

I suppose at least he was playing in the GF. If you don't think Pendles is a consistent A grader, I feel sorry for you.

If anything, I'dve thought Beams coming in could push Pendles out to half back more.

Starting mids could be Treloar, Beams, Sidebottom with Sier, Adams and possibly Wells on the bench. Phillips probably a wing imo.

Got enough mid depth there that he could easily be played at HB without the mids suffering. Whether or not playing at HB actually helps Pendles or not, I'm not sure.

His year was quite average. Whether through injury or role change, I'm not sure. All Collingwood mids seemed to be down in TOG%? Maybe to spread the work load.

If anything, I'dve thought Beams coming in could push Pendles out to half back more.

Starting mids could be Treloar, Beams, Sidebottom with Sier, Adams and possibly Wells on the bench. Phillips probably a wing imo.

Got enough mid depth there that he could easily be played at HB without the mids suffering. Whether or not playing at HB actually helps Pendles or not, I'm not sure.
Pendles the new Burgoyne? Mr Fix it.

Hawthorn I have trouble judging. If Scully comes good they are laughing if not it could be horrible for them.
They are probably spending $900k on Scrimshaw and Scully with no real guarantees
Of course there are no real guarantees

Even with a truckload of number 1 draft pics it's still no guarantee to get a gun player.

Carlton is the perfect example of this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back