Review Winners and Losers of the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok we have seen a lot of the kids have a kick-below my unbiased view..

Weitering -Looks like a cool calculated player and perfect for the blues moving forward...
Parish-Wow looks the goods not what he did but how he does it going to be a star and St Kilda will have nightmares over not picking him up.
Cunningham-Is a ripper has 200 gamer all over him..
Schache -Was not impressed but early days
Milera-Who didnt take this kid???? think his the best of the lot
Collins- a lot to learn but is a perfect fit for the dogs
Silvani -Will struggle for a few years but they will stick with him
McKay(carlton) -Moves so well good pick up
Collins-Supri
FYI, we picked up Francis with the pick the saints gave us not Parish.

Parish-Wow looks the goods not what he did but how he does it going to be a star and St Kilda will have nightmares over not picking him up.
yeah, same goes with 14 other teams, they'd be spewin they couldn't pick him up. you know, considering he was gone before their first pick and all

Ok we have seen a lot of the kids have a kick-below my unbiased view..

Weitering -Looks like a cool calculated player and perfect for the blues moving forward...
Cunningham-Is a ripper has 200 gamer all over him..
Schache -Was not impressed but early days
Milera-Who didnt take this kid???? think his the best of the lot
Collins- a lot to learn but is a perfect fit for the dogs
Silvani -Will struggle for a few years but they will stick with him
McKay(carlton) -Moves so well good pick up
Collins-Supri

Thought Schache was pretty good given the delivery and conditions. Threw himself at the contest and was able to get separation on his leads against May, who's a pretty handy defender. Missed a shot on goal, but it was bloody windy all day there,

Personally was really impressed by Weitering, Milera and Collins.

Aidyn Johnson seems to be proving that the injury concerns causing him to slip down the pecking order should have been paid no heed

Good signs from a lot of kids IMO....

Very much so, even if they didn't have the best of opponents.

Mills, Milera, Oliver, Parish, Weitering, Curnow, Gresham, Lovell, Mathieson already look like established players and we know Schache, Hopper, Francis and Kennedy will be.

Reckon we'll be surprised that this draft may have actually been a little deeper than first thought.

Very much so, even if they didn't have the best of opponents.

Mills, Milera, Oliver, Parish, Weitering, Curnow, Gresham, Lovell, Mathieson already look like established players and we know Schache, Hopper, Francis and Kennedy will be.

Reckon we'll be surprised that this draft may have actually been a little deeper than first thought.

When you look at the success rate of some clubs through avenues like the rookie draft, clearly desire and hard work is a characteristic that is underestimated by some recruiters and observers of the U18 system. Every year when they say 'It's a shallow draft', I'm always thinking that there will be some gems that slip through and people will end up saying 'How the **** did XXXX slip through to Pick 104 ???'.

Early impressions on last years draft crop have been good so far, even if a large number of them will have some large amounts of work to do to make a consistent impact....

Aidyn Johnson seems to be proving that the injury concerns causing him to slip down the pecking order should have been paid no heed

Only question was his willingness to move interstate, but those at Port say he is settling in very well. Said multiple times before the draft that kid could be an absolute star in the right environment. Watched him and interviewed him a couple of times, great young kid with a good personality. Would have gone top 10-15 if not for the injury set backs throughout his main junior years.

Few clubs were certainly interested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Me or Aidyn? ... ;)

Can you see him as a Peter Burgoyne type?

BTW, the other clubs can't have been too interested as he was still there for our pick at number 45

He's just got his P Plates

View attachment 222009

Potentially. Could end up being the best from this draft.

There was interest, but as I mentioned some clubs were put off as they general consensus was that he didn't want to move interstate and his injury problems, which will see a lot of highly rated kids slide pretty far down the pecking order.

Really wanted the Lions to grab this kid. I'm happy with Mathieson and Skinner though but feel as though if he was available at our Skinner pick we would have taken Johnson instead.

Oliver was very good. Nice awareness, goes in hard, good vision. He might need some media training though :p

Impressed with Josh Dunkley, was up to it physically and went in like a hardened AFL midfielder. We didn't get as much of a look at Kieran Collins as perhaps we would've liked but when he was on he was pretty good in the air, although he made a couple of mistakes by foot. Marcus Adams was excellent, his disposal worries a lot of us but he's edging closer to a Round 1 debut.

A few Dogs fans are excited about rookie Brad Lynch but he's still miles off, for mine. Luke Goetz also didn't do much aside from pushing Colin Garland over the fence.

Oliver was very good. Nice awareness, goes in hard, good vision. He might need some media training though :p

Impressed with Josh Dunkley, was up to it physically and went in like a hardened AFL midfielder. We didn't get as much of a look at Kieran Collins as perhaps we would've liked but when he was on he was pretty good in the air, although he made a couple of mistakes by foot. Marcus Adams was excellent, his disposal worries a lot of us but he's edging closer to a Round 1 debut.

A few Dogs fans are excited about rookie Brad Lynch but he's still miles off, for mine. Luke Goetz also didn't do much aside from pushing Colin Garland over the fence.

Dunkley was much better than I expected, his disposal wasn't as bad as people made it out to be.

Dunkley would be a starter for a club that has a shortage of quality inside mids. Looks like he will have to bide his time at the dogs.
The good thing with Dunkley is that he appears relatively comfortable up forward and very competent overhead. We don't have a lot of genuine aerial threats inside 50, and there's a small/medium forward role up for grabs also. There'll be opportunities for him to play as a forward/mid throughout the year I think.

Ok Oliver can play :) very impressed

Dunkley was very impressing as well light years ahead off where i thought he was.

I said early that i thought this bunch of kids would be way better than previous years because possible A graders where there at pick 35.

Just wait there are a few Jets yet to come out and play.

Ok Oliver can play :) very impressed

Dunkley was very impressing as well light years ahead off where i thought he was.

I said early that i thought this bunch of kids would be way better than previous years because possible A graders where there at pick 35.

Just wait there are a few Jets yet to come out and play.
Obviously he isn't a finished product yet but the dogs will be quite happy with Dunkley when all is said and done imo.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back