Review Winners and Losers of the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

The good thing with Dunkley is that he appears relatively comfortable up forward and very competent overhead. We don't have a lot of genuine aerial threats inside 50, and there's a small/medium forward role up for grabs also. There'll be opportunities for him to play as a forward/mid throughout the year I think.

How does he fit in with McLean, Daniel, Dale and Webb pushing for spots?

How does he fit in with McLean, Daniel, Dale and Webb pushing for spots?
He's a bit different to those guys in that he's a genuine midfielder who can rotate through there heavily. The others are nowhere near as competent inside the contest and while they spend a little bit of time there you certainly wouldn't want them in there for long periods. They're flankers more than midfielders, at least at this stage.

Regardless, none of them are really at the stage where they demand selection. Webb is some way off at this stage (playing mostly in defence anyway), Dale will still need a little bit of time, McLean is still working his way back into it after a shoulder, and Daniel is by no means a certainty as a result of defensive limitations. Daniel is the closest to selection but he's not a lock. Dunkley likely doesn't play round 1 and will need time to work on his tank, but there will be opportunities for him throughout the year if he delivers at VFL level, particularly when injuries inevitably strike.

Longer term? Who knows what happens. We still have a few older guys to replace.

Love the look of Clayton Oliver.
Hopefully Weed gets a run at some stage this year but by all reports is starting a fair way back.
Not sure of the others.
Dees 50/50 for mine

Oliver will be a superb selection. Just looks what I call a 'natural footballer'. He could be the best mid in the draft, very well built which helps.

Oliver will be a superb selection. Just looks what I call a 'natural footballer'. He could be the best mid in the draft, very well built which helps.
Yeah I agree he looks natural with a bit of poise and time that not many kids have or learn until a bit later on.
Just glad we've started picking up some of these bigger bodied mids also. Am sure Parish will be great also but we've taken punts on blokes like that in the past and buggered it up so Oliver a good selection for us!

He'll be doing well to be better than Mills.

But yeah, I reckon he'll be as good as Brayshaw. Neither (Oliver/Brayshaw) will be as exciting as Petracca.

He'll be doing well to be better than Mills.

But yeah, I reckon he'll be as good as Brayshaw. Neither (Oliver/Brayshaw) will be as exciting as Petracca.

Was excluding Mills as he really wasn't available anyway and to be fair it is not that big a deal to be 2nd to Mills at the end of the day.

Not sure who out of Oliver or Brayshaw I'd prefer but I know Melbourne are lucky to have both. Good drafting.

Yeah I agree he looks natural with a bit of poise and time that not many kids have or learn until a bit later on.
Just glad we've started picking up some of these bigger bodied mids also. Am sure Parish will be great also but we've taken punts on blokes like that in the past and buggered it up so Oliver a good selection for us!

Think either one if Parish or Oliver will be good. Oliver has a higher scope in my view though, and in my book Melbourne made the right call. Each team needs a few big bodies mids. Look at Hawthorn or Sydney or Fremantle all 3 sides have big bodied clearance mids. The thinner types like Parish you get after you have got the big bodied mids first.

Think either one if Parish or Oliver will be good. Oliver has a higher scope in my view though, and in my book Melbourne made the right call. Each team needs a few big bodies mids. Look at Hawthorn or Sydney or Fremantle all 3 sides have big bodied clearance mids. The thinner types like Parish you get after you have got the big bodied mids first.

Hawthorn recruit on skills over anything else. The likes of Mitchell and Lewis weren't exactly big bodied when they were drafted.

Love the look of Clayton Oliver.
Hopefully Weed gets a run at some stage this year but by all reports is starting a fair way back.
Not sure of the others.
Dees 50/50 for mine
Weed just doesn't have the physical aspect yet. His intraclub showed he is definitely a forward, just has no power in his game yet.

Weed just doesn't have the physical aspect yet. His intraclub showed he is definitely a forward, just has no power in his game yet.

To be fair he is a KPP it is extremely rare to see them ready in their first year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair he is a KPP it is extremely rare to see them ready in their first year
Yeah, more just that the above implied that he wouldn't make it. Far too early to tell

Yeah, more just that the above implied that he wouldn't make it. Far too early to tell
Weid looked pretty good in the intra. Lacked the tank to get up and down the ground and was nowhere near strong enough to compete against Garland, Dunn and TMac, but looked really good against Omac.

Silly to make judgements probably until at least their 4th pre season. You have SOME that are exceptions- Hogan, Cameron, Daniher (to a degree) but other than that, KPF need time.

Oliver has looked impressive so far today.
Weitering Mills Milera Parish and Oliver the stand outs early days.
Feel like it might be the first time in a long time all of the top 5 are happy with their picks...

i was really impressed with oliver. what an absolute bull
"Patrick Dangerfield in a Jordie McKenzie costume" is the running quote...

took sometimes 2 or 3 saints to take him down today. big lad. can see why melbourne traded up to get him

was impressed with greshams game today
Gresh can play, instant impact. Serious talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back