Review Winners and Losers of the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum Mills has been my favourite so far, but I'd say Weitering should be very short odds on taking out the Rising Star - unreal how good he already is in one on ones.

Callum Mills has been my favourite so far, but I'd say Weitering should be very short odds on taking out the Rising Star - unreal how good he already is in one on ones.

Weitering is the $6 favourite to win it. Moore is a better bet at $12 if a KPP will win it. I'm on Mills at $18 though, who is into $7 now.

Don't be silly. KPF's never win this award....

Moore would have been a good one to get onto early on. Will get plenty of opportunity this year.

Moore would have been a terrible bet early on he was $7-8. Now he is a more realistic price of $12. Mills was the one at ridiculous odds early on. Got on at $18.

View attachment 224801

Four Essendon players. They'll certainly have the opportunity but, it still feels somewhat too many.
I doubt Langford or Fantasia get anywhere near consideration this year. They look like good prospects, but not looking like they'll have massive years. Esp without the support of our normal list.

Parish is going to be a gun, but again, i don't see him dominating this year. Should get a nomination though.

Laverde, different kettle of fish. Looks primed for a big breakout year. He'd be in my top 5 of that list.
Mills, Oliver, Weitering and Petracca included.
Moore is a great bet too if the Collingwood midfield opt to ignore a double teamed Cloke and let this kid rule the forward line

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think either one if Parish or Oliver will be good. Oliver has a higher scope in my view though, and in my book Melbourne made the right call. Each team needs a few big bodies mids. Look at Hawthorn or Sydney or Fremantle all 3 sides have big bodied clearance mids. The thinner types like Parish you get after you have got the big bodied mids first.
Completely agree!

Hawthorn recruit on skills over anything else. The likes of Mitchell and Lewis weren't exactly big bodied when they were drafted.
Lewis was, for that time anyway. I think most recruiters ended up shocked how well his skills have progressed. Mitchell was a stocky VFL player who wasn't meant to be a great kick. Instead he developed amazing vision and dual sided skills. Hodge of course had incredibly pure skills and the body and ability to do anything, hence why he went pick 1 in the superdraft.

I reckon the Hawthorn only draft guys who can kick is a bit of a myth. I think they were ahead of the curve trading and drafting for skilled half backs - Burgoyne, Gibson, Birchall, Guerra, Suckling, Duryea etc. And miles ahead on their ball movement and running patterns, but really it's how they develop and improve their players kicking that sets them apart. Most of their talls, the small forwards, even Hill and Smith on the wing weren't great kicks coming in but have been developed to use the ball really well.

Feel like it might be the first time in a long time all of the top 5 are happy with their picks...
Round one hasn't even started, most people are happy with how their kids are tacking at this stage every year. They're will be a dud or two, always is.

Weitering is the $6 favourite to win it. Moore is a better bet at $12 if a KPP will win it. I'm on Mills at $18 though, who is into $7 now.
I got Mills at $15 the night before his first nab, came into $7 after that one game. Can't believe he was at those odds.

I got Mills at $15 the night before his first nab, came into $7 after that one game. Can't believe he was at those odds.

Was ridiculous odds before the first NAB game and it just stood out as a fairly safe bet outside of Petracca.

View attachment 224801

Four Essendon players. They'll certainly have the opportunity but, it still feels somewhat too many.

That's probably due to there being more Essendon fans interested in the award this year. Although Langford at above $20 is good value imo.

The whole market is way out of wack though. Hopper at $34 and Menadue at $101 are both awesome value.

I enjoyed Blake Hardwick's games in the NAB Challenge. He has only played two halves of football, but has made an impact each time. Tough, good skills, good acceleration, hits the scoreboard. Pick 44 from memory.
Great selection. Could never understand why he didn't get more wraps. Would have much rather him over Schoenfeld.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back