Society/Culture Woke. Can you tell real from parody?

Remove this Banner Ad

Crankyhawk

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In case you missed it, Bluey is the award-winning, mega-hit animated series about the Heelers, a family of dog-shaped humans — parents Bandit and Chilli, four-year-old Bingo and six-year-old Bluey — who live in a gorgeous Queenslander with city views, perched on a lush hilltop in sunny Brisbane.

My question is this: Can Bluey be more representative? (And yes, I'm aware that Bluey's Border Collie pal Mackenzie is from New Zealand.)

As a parent of colour, I am always conscious of the presence — or absence — of diverse representation in kids' pop culture, what it means for children and the conversations we have around that. I sincerely believe you don't have to be 'Other' to think about this too.

We live in a world where the majority of main characters on children's television are white; where there are more animals than people of colour protagonists populating the pages of children's books.

Where are the disabled, queer, poor, gender diverse, dogs of colour and single-parent dog families in Bluey's Brisbane? If they're in the background, let them come forward.

View attachment 1117090

Yeah I’ve seen that one. Sadly real (as in the woke person and their “concern “)

Tiger08

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Q&A refusing to invite Chris Bowen on to talk about climate change (despite being the Shadow Minister for Climate Change) because he identifies as a male and they had too many of those.

Hahahaha.

Progressives at their best!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tiger08

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
It wasn’t too many alp voices on Q&A ?
Nope.. the opposite actually.. apparently they tried 4 ALP front benchers to join the conversation who were all women. When they declined they gave up and got a female newsreader to talk climate change in preference to the shadow minister for climate change.

Apparently the climate view of a white male was covered by someone else... you know because race and gendee dictate your view on everything.

sorted

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham, West Ham
Q&A refusing to invite Chris Bowen on to talk about climate change (despite being the Shadow Minister for Climate Change) because he identifies as a male and they had too many of those.

Hahahaha.

Progressives at their best!
The ABC has a dedicated unit 'working towards a target of achieving 50:50 representation of women and men across ABC News'. If there’s a story that involves only males or males being interviewed they will go out to seek opinions from their selected panel of females to “gender balance the story”.

Tiger08

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
The ABC has a dedicated unit 'working towards a target of achieving 50:50 representation of women and men across ABC News'. If there’s a story that involves only males or males being interviewed they will go out to seek opinions from their selected panel of females to “gender balance the story”.

Yeah it's quota stupidity at its best.

The person who is the shadow climate change minister doesn't get an invite to a special on climate change because of his gender!

Nothing to do with his perspective, his party, his expertise or his experience.. JUST HIS GENDER!

Wasn't the show supposed to be about climate change? Not gender politics!

Will the ABC cover the next election leaders debate if its between two blokes?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad