Society/Culture Woke. Can you tell real from parody?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rolled over to Part 2:

I don't recall the Islamic community supporting gay marriage or trans rights though

They’re not in a position to try to force through theological agendas as law though.

Islam is certainly deserving of criticism for how it’s being used in other countries to impact people’s lives and the beliefs it promotes. Here though, it does little to impact the public sphere whilst Christianity has done a very good job of getting people in to positions on influence.

I’m sure if you were in other countries with Islamic people in power and a Christian minority (assuming you had freedom of speech..) the positions would be reversed.

They’re not in a position to try to force through theological agendas as law though.

Islam is certainly deserving of criticism for how it’s being used in other countries to impact people’s lives and the beliefs it promotes. Here though, it does little to impact the public sphere whilst Christianity has done a very good job of getting people in to positions on influence.

I’m sure if you were in other countries with Islamic people in power and a Christian minority (assuming you had freedom of speech..) the positions would be reversed.
True; there is certainly genuine religious persecution in many Islamic countries. Still makes the point that religion is scummy when applied to power and it’s important to check it’s growth.

It's part of the Christian identity to feign persecution. You can really see the damage they have done to society, when non-religious people are in here are repeating their talking points and whataboutisms.

It's part of the Christian identity to feign persecution. You can really see the damage they have done to society, when non-religious people are in here are repeating their talking points and whataboutisms.
I’m anti all organised religions.

Edit: also though I'm not sure we are able to 100% say they are "feigning" persecution, they are probably feeling persecuted, but the ones (in Australia at least, not talking about somewhere like in Afghanistan) are just overly (pathetically) sensitive to criticism. Or the implication (which tbf I do much more than just imply, I state outright) that religious opinion should be held as no more value than any other opinion. Throw the entire concept of "sacred" in the bin.

Except for people changing footy teams on a whim after age 7. That's not the done thing.

Last edited:

Christians were persecuted by others for a century or so compared to 2 Millenia persecuting others or within their sects. A little overstated perhaps?

Christians were persecuted by others for a century or so compared to 2 Millenia persecuting others or within their sects. A little overstated perhaps?
I doubt they really acknowledge that as it is "ancient" history and besides those heathens deserved to be smitten..

lol I think some people need to face the fact that you don’t “hate all religion” if you only ever criticise one and are extremely intolerant of criticism of others.
Shocked that you would ignore the context provided and stick to a simplistic view.

I think all religions, at least any prevalent, have problems for adherents and the societies they exist in, but in the context of Australia it's the range of Christian denominations that are dominant, and that's what more of us have personal experience with. I'll certainly join any criticism of bad actions/actors elsewhere though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The idea that Christians in Australia are being persecuted is one largely promoted by those within the church as a way of trying to retain the power that they've historically held by presenting themselves as victims in a changing world. It's certainly not based on any actual persecution.

Well I'd reckon it's the safest religion to criticise publicly that's for sure.

Weve had christians trying to stop gay marriage, kills trans rights, stop womens bodily autonomy, stop no fault divorce, stop stem cell research, stop test tube babies, stop contraception, stop voluntary euthanasia…. Have i missed anything?

The muslims in Australia have their dislikes sure, but the difference is they arent constantly trying to codify their superstition as law. They just tell their adherents not to do xyz or you arent part of the club anymore.

When they do we will pillory them like the Christians.
Your post seems rather naive to me. Islam is no more tolerant of those things you list than Christianity. Take a look at what's happening internationally in parts of the Islamic world, including recent events that affect one of our favourite holiday destinations in Bali.

Persecution complex is common to many cults/religions; hardly unique to Christians.

I’m anti all organised religions.

Edit: also though I'm not sure we are able to 100% say they are "feigning" persecution, they are probably feeling persecuted, but the ones (in Australia at least, not talking about somewhere like in Afghanistan) are just overly (pathetically) sensitive to criticism. Or the implication (which tbf I do much more than just imply, I state outright) that religious opinion should be held as no more value than any other opinion. Throw the entire concept of "sacred" in the bin.

Except for people changing footy teams on a whim after age 7. That's not the done thing.
I give a pass to anyone who changes to a new team at any stage of life, especially Hawthorn supporters who convert/upgrade to a new Tasmanian team (once they eventually join the AFL).

I give a pass to anyone who changes to a new team at any stage of life, especially Hawthorn supporters who convert/upgrade to a new Tasmanian team (once they eventually join the AFL).
I did say "on a whim". Reasons to be considered on case by case basis
  • new team in your state is reasonable
  • disgust at significant issues at club (yes, racism review at hawthorn counts, as would essendon scandal) but has to be a big one, not just an individual player issue

Your post seems rather naive to me. Islam is no more tolerant of those things you list than Christianity. Take a look at what's happening internationally in parts of the Islamic world, including recent events that affect one of our favourite holiday destinations in Bali.
I know.

But i dont live in that part of the world do i?

I live in australia where the muslims leave me alone and the christians try to tell me to obey their imaginary friends rules.

If the muslims start telling me what to do because their grand pooh bah reckons this that and the other ill happily tell them to funk off as well as any religious nuts.

Keep it to yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back