Current Trial Wonnangatta - Russell Hill & Carol Clay vanish *Pilot Greg Lynn charged with murder

Did Greg Lynn tell police where he buried the bodies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Ok I am going to rescind my exit theory of going via Moroka. Just rewatched the 60 mins vid and looked at the map they refer to with the dots. At first I didn't pay a lot of attention as I thought at a glance it was RH/CC mobile tracking into the valley, but on closer inspection and listening to the background audio, it looks like they've tracked GL all the way into the valley and back out along the DHP rd. Red dots for eyewitness sightings/hearings (campsite and Myrtleford gate), blue for mobile pings and green for "other" (camera at Hotham). There is one blue dot in the middle of nowhere, which corresponds approximately to Mount Cynthia, which at 900m potentially had enough mobile signal to get a bar of service. If I were him watching this, which I am almost certain he did, this map laid out alongside the car composite would have known tipped him off for sure that they were onto him. (Dots from original screen grab, tags and line added)
View attachment 1291981

Fair play with the maps etc, much appreciated Badd0g

Now I'm thinking how stupid (or perhaps cocky?) he was to leave his phone switched on after what he did...

Not to get banned again, i wondered myself why not turn it off but then i thought, that would seem strange, phone going off/on before/after the event so he may have become comfortable in it moreso being so desolate, strange.

The pings were from mobile devices ?

The pings were from mobile devices ?
Thats just my assumption... They seem to appear only in áreas where there is likely signal and there are none where you would expect there to be no coverage.
There's a stretch of the DHP RD just as you approach Hotham that is low and def no signal... Right where there is a gap in the dots. So I'm just making an educated guess. All MOO :)

I had no idea until recently of how close the victims' and the alleged offender's campsites were to each other. Exactly how close were they they in metres?

I'm also curious about their cooking situation.
Surely fire season regulations would have been in place in such a dense area in March? I'm looking at camp site photos and there doesn't appear to be a properly cleared area in which to have flames, including gas. I wonder if GL had a little generator?

I'm wondering if R & C were discretely cooking in their tent with tables and chairs etc. Maybe GL burst in to deal with the drone issue, or even their fire, a short argument ensued and a cowards punch sent RH flying into the gas bottle or another hard surface and killed him instantly. Or GL was already armed and killed them in the tent. If there was blood, it would account for the tent being torched with everything in it and the victims dying with their shoes on.

To me, it appears they hadn't settled in for the night as their wallets were in their vehicle. Do other seasoned campers here leave valuables in their vehicles overnight, or keep them with them in the tent? I'm interested to know. We keep ours with us overnight and lock them in the car if we're out walking.

Maybe GL packed his own stuff up quickly, dragged them into his trailer, then set the fire so he was gone as it was going

I also think the wallets and cards strewn about might be a red herring. I wonder if the vehicle was unlocked and a passerby, maybe even those who didn't report the fire for hours, may have done the rifling and just locked the car without keys. Probably RH had his keys in his back pocket at all times.

On an aside, people suspected old mate button man when his name popped up. I’ve always taught my daughter that monsters look like real, everyday people, this case proves my point.

There was never anything linking button man to the crime. It was just decided that because he is strange and lives in the high country he must have been responsible.

In reality thousands of people traverse the high country WV area - this alone should not ever have made him a suspect in the media even if the coppers never pegged him for one.

Last edited:
I had no idea until recently of how close the victims' and the alleged offender's campsites were to each other. Exactly how close were they they in metres?

Surely fire season regulations would have been in place in such a dense area in March? I'm looking at camp site photos and there doesn't appear to be a properly cleared area in which to have flames, including gas. I wonder if GL had a little generator?

I'm wondering if R & C were discretely cooking in their tent with tables and chairs etc. Maybe GL burst in to deal with the drone issue, or even their fire, a short argument ensued and a cowards punch sent RH flying into the gas bottle or another hard surface and killed him instantly. Or GL was already armed and killed them in the tent. If there was blood, it would account for the tent being torched with everything in it and the victims dying with their shoes on.

To me, it appears they hadn't settled in for the night as their wallets were in their vehicle. Do other seasoned campers here leave valuables in their vehicles overnight, or keep them with them in the tent? I'm interested to know. We keep ours with us overnight and lock them in the car if we're out walking.

Maybe GL packed his own stuff up quickly, dragged them into his trailer, then set the fire so he was gone as it was going

I also think the wallets and cards strewn about might be a red herring. I wonder if the vehicle was unlocked and a passerby, maybe even those who didn't report the fire for hours, may have done the rifling and just locked the car without keys. Probably RH had his keys in his back pocket at all times.

Whatever happened all went down before they settled in for the night. No usage of the portaloo. Their personal belongings in the cab still.

I still can't work out why you would camp close to anyone in that area, it is huge. I suspect you can camp anywhere?

Even when we go to Barmah (Though we are generally winter campers) we are at least 500m from the next camp.

Edit: Only reason I can think of is Lynn was in the spot Hill wanted, either by discarding markers Hill put there or by chance. Hill camps close flying drone hoping Lynn will move....and then it is on.

Last edited:
This surely must be the only ever instance of two totally unrelated parties in the high country getting involved in a confrontation with one party ending up dead.

These things happen in the city (drunk idiots, coward punches) but for it to happen in the "Gatta?

Utterly insane.

The campsite & the drone most likely will be central to the altercation. Anything else that anyone can think of that would have caused a confrontation in the peaceful surrounds of the "Gatta?

No one cooks in a tent! At least I've never met anyone who does. Whether gas, or generator or butane, it is just plain dangerous

Did you mean discreetly eating in their tent?

l was wondering if they were discreetly cooking. I've unfortunately seen campers do this in places where they're not meant to have fires.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This surely must be the only ever instance of two totally unrelated parties in the high country getting involved in a confrontation with one party ending up dead.

These things happen in the city (drunk idiots, coward punches) but for it to happen in the "Gatta?

Utterly insane.

The campsite & the drone most likely will be central to the altercation. Anything else that anyone can think of that would have caused a confrontation in the peaceful surrounds of the "Gatta?

Grant HA to Caroline Springs via Dargo:

View attachment 1291574

Grant HA to Caroline Springs via Hotham:

View attachment 1291575

Anyone have a plausible explanation as to why alleged perpetrator would chose the longer route to drive home (if he drove straight home from the alleged burial site)?

This is the thing I dont get too. Because anybody familiar with road from Hotham to Bright would know those fixed cameras are there, they are not concealed or hidden in any way.

This surely must be the only ever instance of two totally unrelated parties in the high country getting involved in a confrontation with one party ending up dead ... snipped

what a remarkable coincidence that exactly 3months post the disappearance of RH/CC from the dry river creek track campsite, 20th march 2020, on the autumnal equinox weekend, david crouch was assaulted while camping, with his dog, at toorongo falls near noojee, either late friday night 19th, or early morn of 20th, and passed away sunday 21st june2020 on what was the winter solstice weekend.

whether both occurred in the highland or not, the distance between locations of the two separate incidents is only a one and a half day hike.
966d1f417806a1304742413ed4f790ef.jpg
a82d363747fa980939ab4eb28f3583a5.jpg

imho

Last edited:

Utterly insane.

The Drone is No:1 by miles. Already been proven by the Bush Worker. Next was or could be Lynn removes Hill's campsite markers. Hill was there the week before knowing he was taking his girl and wanted the best spot. Get's there and Lynn says no way nobody is here that's my spot. They are the only 2 motives but we know Hill was flying his drone and he pissed off the bush worker by flying over his campsite. Quote Bushworker "That was disrespectful" See Sixty Mins Show for more on that. Lynn a Pilot and sensitive to noise cops 2 of the same and explodes and tells Hill to put the F-Drone Away but Hill always stands up for himself and tells Lynn to F-off.! It's 100% along those lines, we just don't know what Lynn did in the end, Gun or Knife or run them over. I believe Gun...

The sad thing for me is Hill's thinking I don't back down , had my teeth knocked out before, Lynn looks less than intimidating physically. Hill has no idea he's dealing with a Psychopath. Arguing over noise and the drone which is disrespectful to many people but you don't expect to be dead over this sort of bullshit. Lynn a total Narcissist has no toleration for Hill's tough guy antics and the rest is history. These 2 guys were on a collision course, Clay collateral damage, so sad.! If Lynn has danced the rodeo before then we can only hope that Lynn's time has come to an end because of someone like Russell Hill, nobody wins in truth IMO. Certainly not Lynn although he's still alive but I'm not sure how Lynn will cope with not getting his own way in Jail? Lynn and Jail don't seem compatible, but having said that I don't think he's capable of doing too much about it behind closed bars.!

I read fire restrictions are in place at that time so I’m not sure how campers have fires?

Utterly insane.

They might not have been unrelated parties but The Wonnangatta mystery by Keith Leydon and Michael Ray is a great read about 2 murders happening over 100 years ago at the same spot.

I read fire restrictions are in place at that time so I’m not sure how campers have fires?
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe you can have a camp fire anytime unless it is a total fire ban day. That has been my experience anyway. Doesn't generally affect us as we mostly camp outside restriction periods.

Back