Roast Worst Geelong loss you have experienced as a fan

Worst Cats loss you have experienced as a fan?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to judge. 08 will always be number 1. That aside -
The most angry I've been was proberbly the 2013QF. But every final after that has been hurt and disappointment because we have learned nothing from the losses. Nothing. We've had 6 years to fix the issues and nothing has changed. That's the most baffling thing. It's like ground hog day. The same s**t keeps happening. I feel like banging my head against a wall. Anyway I'll rate my worst -

1. 2013 QF (complete and utter waste)
2. 2016 PRELIM (we knew Sydney would start well and did absolutely nothing to counter it)
3. 2017 QF (promised so much and delivered nothing. Apparently we were so focused on This finals series. What a joke)
4. 2014 (straight sets both s**t)
5. 2013 PRELIM (hurt like an absolute bitch but we tried and we were missing Chappy and Enright from memory.)
6. 2005 SEMI. (Absolute pain but we used that hurt to win flags)
7. 2010 PRELIM (hurt but used that pain to win the flag the following year)

2008 GF for sure because we goal kicked ourselves out of it time and again.

2013 prelim watching them come back late knowing we probably win if varcoe doesnt miss the shot and knowing whoever won was going to flog average freo the next week.

Tonight was annoying but we were never going to win the flag this year anyway so it doesn't rank up there for me.

I disagree about Freo, they weren't too bad and we were their bitches. They kicked themselves out out of the GF that year.
Nothing worse than the 08 loss, but we knew that we had a generational team who would bounce back.
This loss feels more like a genuine lost opportunity to snag one in an even season. The final quarter capitulation was perhaps the worst part and is up there as one of the worst quarters I have witnessed. It also underlined for me how many cracks we have just papered over in recent times.

95 Grand Final. I was at the game and it was devastating. Old ladies were crying and people were genuinely down.
Although not as important game the Nick Davis game really hurt.

95 Grand Final. I was at the game and it was devastating. Old ladies were crying and people were genuinely down.
Although not as important game the Nick Davis game really hurt.

Yeah I (stupidly) thought we were a chance
1994 = no chance. 1995 = going on the optus oval effort some chance.

Oh... yeah.. Leigh Colbert's 'mark'... can I have the blade when you are done?
Yeah that was also a really bad one. We were the better team and the umps destroyed us.
We also kicked a couple of obvious goals that were called points too.
Then in the Prelim Libba kicks the winning goal and they called it a point.
Was shattering.

Lmao so did we!!! Was there with a bunch of bfers.. remember the junk goals we got we like cheered and clapped carrying on like crazy.. haha
Was it Leigh Brown who kicked that goal where it looked like Lonergan had it covered until it bounced and took a turn directly to the middle of the goals?

I know it was the first quarter and it was at that time I conceded the match - sometimes you just know that your team won't have a chance and when the ball bounces like that, it's going to be one of those games

Yeah that was also a really bad one. We were the better team and the umps destroyed us.
We also kicked a couple of obvious goals that were called points too.
Then in the Prelim Libba kicks the winning goal and they called it a point.
Was shattering.

Got a free tix to that prelim. Never been more shattered as a neutral that day.

1. 2008 GF - enough said.

2. 2005 SF - just hearing the name Nick Davis still brings up horrible memories. In hindsight we probably weren't ready to go all the way that year, but we were still in the drought at that stage and could see the talent in the side. Probably the most heartbreaking due to how it all played out.

3. 2013 QF - wasted year, and the qualifying final was worse than the prelim imo. We scored a final at KP against Fremantle (who we'd flogged there a few weeks earlier, if memory serves me correct) and celebrated like we'd already won it. Dismal performance which meant we played the Hawks fresh from a week off in the prelim. Predictably, they ran all over us in the last quarter after we took a 20 point lead into three quarter time. I still maintain that we had a flag in us that year, and I think the QF loss is the main reason we didn't win it.

4. 2016 PF/2017 QF - just pathetic performances all round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The GF losses all hurt pretty bad.

1992 stung real bad; I was at an age where it left a scar and a bitter memory forever more.
94 & 95 nearly pushed me to breaking point as a supporter, started weighing up my commitment to the team after those bleak losses.
2008 was like a bad cosmic joke.

The others I've basically consigned to the rubbish bin of my mind, hopefully I'll rarely if ever get flashes of last night's debacle.

christ, this team - 3 flags in my lifetime, fortunate to have seen them, but soooo many ungrasped opportunities over that time.

Staggered no one has the 1992 GF here.

In front, should have won. We're a better side.

Last night was up there.

08 GF - arrogance cost us being a back to back premiership side

94 & 95 nearly pushed me to breaking point as a supporter, started weighing up my commitment to the team after those bleak losses.
2008 was like a bad cosmic joke.

I felt we were never a realistic chance to win in the 90's. The teams we had to come up against were in rampaging form.
94 and 95 that is.
92 I thought we were a great chance because West Coast were still relatively raw and new to the game. 6 goals to 1 third quarter effectively ended that dream.

In 08, we were the best team by a long way. I don't even think the Brisbane Lions who achieved a three-peat played the kind of football we played that season. Every game we were 50, 60, 70 point favourites.

2008 GF for sure because we goal kicked ourselves out of it time and again.

2013 prelim watching them come back late knowing we probably win if varcoe doesnt miss the shot and knowing whoever won was going to flog average freo the next week.

Tonight was annoying but we were never going to win the flag this year anyway so it doesn't rank up there for me.

Even if Varcoe had kicked that goal he would of only levelled the scores with 30 seconds remaining and we were absolutely cooked. Extra time the Hawks would have ran over the top.

89 GF was tough as a young kid seeing Cats get so close but so far.

What I didnt realise was what was coming.

After getting over the 90's... the 07-11 period built up such joy.

Then 08 put 89 into perspective.

08 is by far the worst.

Last night is top 3.

2013 Prelim loss to Hawks is #2

And I can tell you this.

After being awake for 24 hours, watching that s**t get served up last night, getting 2 hours sleep and being back at work for another 12 hour day, this is 100% the worst Ive felt doing this stupidity for this footy club in a long long long time.

GAULING.

GO Catters

Sorry to butt in - but was curious where 1989 sits in the pantheon, or whether most posters are too young for that one.

For a lot of my Geelong mates that era is what really hurt and makes them reluctant to get too far ahead of themselves - and then they feel like 2007-2011 is throughly deserved, a bit like finally getting the dominance they felt they were ripped off from having in the late 80s / early 90s when the Cats teams were so electrifying.

s**t night for you guys, didn't come to gloat.

Back