WWE TV, Rumours and Discussion - Part VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mister M do you sit there and watch - really watch, not play around on your phone and occasionally glance up - 5 hours of Raw and SmackDown each week and go "That was good, what will Roman Reigns/Seth Rollins/Baron Corbin do next week?".

I'm not having a go at the guys from Cageside seats for doing what they love-- great credit for them.

That "type" of fan that I find really frustrating is the type of fan who hates on everything about the current product; yet goes and consumes hours upon hours of this 'fan made' content like the YouTube video/podcast from Cageside seats, JDfromNY, Vince Russo, Cornette, etc. that spends hour upon hour hating on the product. I didn't listen to the Cageside seats video because you already explained it to be that it was negative about the product [and I'm not sure if you went looking for it, or have been listening to it recently, but it's strange you found a video from 6 years ago to explain your point]. This toxic 'fan' culture is really strange; I don't get it. I don't get why you'd invest so many hours into something you don't like.

Funnily enough-- the Brock Lesnar/ WM 30 discussion has only lasted the past 10 days because you hated on it and it snowballed (as seen below)

So I didn't start the discussion-- all I said that out of the realistic options that the WWE had around that time to end the streak; Brock Lesnar was the best option IMO and part of that reason is because he is a part time talent.

Brock doesn't wrestle in tag matches or against mid carders--- when Brock wrestles it's a Big deal (as I've discussed previously, I enjoy Brock Lesnar matches because I get emotionally invested in seeing him get beat every time). I get that you don't appreciate Brock-- that's fine; but I don't understand the hate on a wrestler who's barely even there "ruining' the product.

The WWE is creatively in a better position today compared to a decade ago.... an average episode of Raw or Smackdown today is significantly better than an episode from 2009/2010. If you doubt me-- go back and watch the Jan 18th 2010 episode of Raw and compare it to this weeks (I'm just choosing the episode that's closest to a decade ago). The episode has guest hosts John Heder & Don Johnson. Hornswoggle teaming with D-X to face The Miz & The Big Show, The Undertaker turning up and denying HBK a Wrestlemania re-match (so two separate HBK segments), a face Randy Orton defeating Chris Masters on the road to challenge WWE Champion Sheamus and a Diva's match featuring Gail Kim, Maryse, Eve Torres & Alicia Fox. I know which Raw I'd prefer to watch ;)

Brock Lesnar was one of the few people on the roster that was actually a legitimate threat to The Undertaker. In fact; other than John Cena, Lesnar was the only person on the roster who hadn't already lost to 'Taker that was enough of a legitimate star to face 'Taker for the streak (thus why we didn't get 'Taker Vs Cesaro or whatever other things people want to suggest as viable options).

The match 'sucked' because The Undertaker was concussed within the first minute of the match--- you can't say that 'Taker being concussed didn't impact the quality of that match. But your complaining about the 'purpose' of the match as well. In the days following Wrestlemania 30 there was more discussion about 'Taker losing the title than there was about Daniel Bryan's historic title wins. The 'Yes' movement was arguably the biggest moment of the 2010's & The Undertaker losing at Wrestlemania overshadowed it. That's how BIG 'Taker losing the title at Wrestlemania 30 was and he lost it to someone who was legit; is loyal to the WWE and still is able to build heat off that match in 2020.

TL;DR: I enjoy wrestling & get confused by people who 'hate watch' it. I think Brock Lesnar ending 'The Streak' makes sense in hindsight.

Well like I explained in the part of the post you didn’t quote. All those people who listen to reviews/podcasts etc. do it because they love wrestling but dislike the current shows so catch up by other means. I like to lurk this thread to catch up, couldn’t believe I’d had only had 30 odd posts in here in the past couple of years since I stopped watching!

I don’t “hate watch” wrestling as you put it, I will be watching Rumble and Mania with mates as that’s a fun tradition we’ve got. Even recently I just flat out gave up watching AEW because I thought it was garbage, and now I rarely comment in that thread. Not sure how you can call me one of “those fans” when my track record is pretty clear.

FWIW that review I posted is just one that sticks out vividly to me because of how they perfectly capture that wrestling is about storyline and meaning, of which the Brock/Taker had none. That’s not an opinion, that’s objective. There was objectively no storyline going into that match, therefore nobody was open to the possibility of Brock beating Taker. (As an aside that’s also what I mean by being a ‘legitimate threat’ not the size thing, thank god it wasn’t some shitty small wrestler like Zayn or someone who looks horrid like Owens).

The part-time shift in wrestling is what’s hurting WWE entertainment wise in 2020. Anything outside of Rumble/Mania season doesn’t count for s**t because it’s all about the abundance of part timers that will get the belt and have half hour matches on the biggest shows (not just the odd one on a card that you’ve previously tried to point out). Lesnar is the face of this part-time mentality, so that’s why he gets the hate.

Lol give me that 2010 Raw any day of the week, and yes, I’m sure it was bad. But that HBK/Taker feud was great long term storyline stuff, and Michaels eventually ditching that DX stuff was part of that storyline that helped make it work.

But instead of isolating an episode look at the whole picture. Compare the storylines (and amount of matches with storylines) going into WM 25 /26 compared to 35. It’s night and day, and people thought WWE was pretty bad back then too!

Wrestling isn’t a sport. A ‘match’ is much more than what happens between the two bells. The storyline that has been built prior is critical to any match being good or bad. Had the concussion not happened it still would’ve been a terrible match. Brock would’ve just beaten the piss out of him and Michael Cole would do his hushed somber golf commentary “I - I think he’s hurt” and nobody would be invested because the weeks leading up to it sucked. The reason the streak ending made major news etc. was because of a decade of great storytelling by WWE. It had nothing to do with a Heyman lead-up promo or anything from the current storyline. It was such a shame that they pissed it away with terrible storytelling for the final chapter. Saying Lesnar still has heat today seems a bit of a stretch to me. He doesn’t get the mainstream attention he was and WWE have turned to people like Rousey for that as a result.

I’m happy I guess that you still enjoy it, and it’s why I don’t try to comment much now that I don’t watch it. May as well just let people enjoy it. I just think WWE has so much more potential than you give them credit for. Whenever people s**t on something WWE does your response tends to be “well what other option did they have?” I remember that’s what you said to me when I said the Shield reunions were terrible. I then went back to see the Shield reunion and it was just Miz in the ring and then individually Seth, Ambrose and Reigns came out with Cole going “Ohhhh myyyy Renae, we’ve been hearing the rumours for weeks now!” and it’s like, wow that’s what counts for storytelling these days?! Fans are okay with this and just go along with it? No need for storylines? Any story at all would’ve been better than that.

Wrestling is amazing and WWE could be so much better than what it is. But apparently I’m a negative fan who hates on everything :rolleyes:

Well like I explained in the part of the post you didn’t quote. All those people who listen to reviews/podcasts etc. do it because they love wrestling but dislike the current shows so catch up by other means. I like to lurk this thread to catch up, couldn’t believe I’d had only had 30 odd posts in here in the past couple of years since I stopped watching!

I don’t “hate watch” wrestling as you put it, I will be watching Rumble and Mania with mates as that’s a fun tradition we’ve got. Even recently I just flat out gave up watching AEW because I thought it was garbage, and now I rarely comment in that thread. Not sure how you can call me one of “those fans” when my track record is pretty clear.

So your knowledge of current day WWE isn't based off actually watching the product by listening to people from Cageside seats about it? This is why you're one of "those fans"; because you're judging something second hand by investing your hours into fan made content; rather than watching the product. :rolleyes:

I’m happy I guess that you still enjoy it, and it’s why I don’t try to comment much now that I don’t watch it. May as well just let people enjoy it. I just think WWE has so much more potential than you give them credit for. Whenever people s**t on something WWE does your response tends to be “well what other option did they have?” I remember that’s what you said to me when I said the Shield reunions were terrible. I then went back to see the Shield reunion and it was just Miz in the ring and then individually Seth, Ambrose and Reigns came out with Cole going “Ohhhh myyyy Renae, we’ve been hearing the rumours for weeks now!” and it’s like, wow that’s what counts for storytelling these days?! Fans are okay with this and just go along with it? No need for storylines? Any story at all would’ve been better than that.

Can you please let me know which Shield Reunion it was where that happened? Because there's a range of facts that don't add up in that little rant of yours ie. Renee Young wasn't commentating when The Shield reunited against The Miz & co.

Wrestling is amazing and WWE could be so much better than what it is. But apparently I’m a negative fan who hates on everything :rolleyes:

Wrestling can be amazing & I agree that it could be better than what it is--- but it's soo much better than what you are giving it credit for. There's plenty to love and enjoy about WWE and pro wrestling in general currently. Just because someone on a podcast says that the WWE is bad doesn't mean it's true.

So your knowledge of current day WWE isn't based off actually watching the product by listening to people from Cageside seats about it? This is why you're one of "those fans"; because you're judging something second hand by investing your hours into fan made content; rather than watching the product. :rolleyes:

Can you please let me know which Shield Reunion it was where that happened? Because there's a range of facts that don't add up in that little rant of yours ie. Renee Young wasn't commentating when The Shield reunited against The Miz & co.

Wrestling can be amazing & I agree that it could be better than what it is--- but it's soo much better than what you are giving it credit for. There's plenty to love and enjoy about WWE and pro wrestling in general currently. Just because someone on a podcast says that the WWE is bad doesn't mean it's true.

Have I actually made any comments about the current product outside the WWE ‘style’ of going to Saudi Arabia and having a heap of part-timers for Mania season, which I know about because I watch those shows. Maybe Baron Corbin is really good, I don’t really have a recent opinion on him or any recent Raws. I’ll find out at the Rumble I guess.

Haha geez as if I’m gonna get the quote right verbatim. I have no idea if Cole even said Oh my,(I bet he did though) I just know they all walked down the ramp like boring losers after weeks of “rumours”.

I’ll watch again consistently when I’m convinced Triple H isn’t the biggest heel on the show who won’t have a half hour at Mania. No podcasts needed, that’s my own opinion and is the reason I stopped watching when he screwed Rollins for Owens.

Mister M do you sit there and watch - really watch, not play around on your phone and occasionally glance up - 5 hours of Raw and SmackDown each week and go "That was good, what will Roman Reigns/Seth Rollins/Baron Corbin do next week?".

It depends on the week as I work as a contractor; but if I'm home when it's airing live I will watch Raw, Smackdown & Dynamite while in the home gym. Been using wrestling as motivation to do gym sessions for about 5-6 years now-- then normally post on BF, reddit, social media, etc. between sets. If I'm not home when wrestlings live I'll typically watch episodes on delay (but read results first);I used to use all episodes of Nitro [as I never watched WcW growing up] or old PPV's during gym sessions-- but now there's 9-10 hours a week of new content I can watch which covers my gym hours.

I've got a dual screen set up where I can see it from any of the machines and play the sound through a speaker system. I say that there's times I really focus (and get distracted from gym sets); but normally during promo segments I can get away with focusing on gym sets.

Where as I normally watch major shows on the couch; typically with a few friends.

In regard to what I think at the end of each show-- I'm very 'meta' within my thought process. I enjoy watching and thinking about how the WWE can get from where they currently are to the next PPV, big show, main roster call up, etc. For example this time last year I was fascinated watching the WWE try and keep Becky Lynch over as 'The Man' in the lead up to Wrestlemania 35; or how we saw 'Dark' Johnny Gargano on NXT when he doubted his ability to win the NXT title or beat Ciampa. Where as more recently I'm really enjoying the journey of heel Sasha & Bayley, the heel turn of Seth Rollins, Daniel Bryan's 'reluctance' to bring back the 'Yes!' movement--- all stories that have been told over multiple weeks/months.

I’ll watch again consistently when I’m convinced Triple H isn’t the biggest heel on the show who won’t have a half hour at Mania. No podcasts needed, that’s my own opinion and is the reason I stopped watching when he screwed Rollins for Owens.

Then don't watch-- doesn't effect my enjoyment at all.

I just don't understand why you've got such strong views on something you don't like.

Because Raw and Smackdown were my two favourite TV shows ever. If I enjoyed them again that would be ace.

Then seriously---- watch this weeks Raw (ignore Smackdown for now); but recent episodes of Raw have been really good. There's something for everyone.

Someone said words to the effect of "They're using Buddy Murphy now, that could be good, give it a chance". But we're so used to Raw/SmackDown getting someone new, letting them build momentum and fan interest, and then when doing something with them really would make an impact... Vince pulls the rug out from them or makes the character do something boneless or a part-timer comes back so down ladder they go.

Braun Strowman, Ryback, Kofi Kingston, Kevin Owens, Wade Barrett, Ali, Elias... Someone (a nerd, even!) could type up a long, long list of wrestlers over the past decade who got sabotaged because nobody outside a handful is allowed to get too popular.

Last edited:
Raw was much more than the Murphy storyline though

• The Styles/Orton/McIntyre triple threat was really good
  • The Brock/Heyman/R-Truth segment was hilarious
  • Becky Lynch & Askua continued to build their storyline;
  • As did Andrade/Rey
  • We finally saw the 2nd match in the Rusev/Lashley series (only their second match in over 3 months of a story)
  • Lower card talent in Sarah Logan & Mojo Rawley got used and were both entertaining characters.
But I guess only the 'nerd' who's posted over 800 times in the WWE TV, Rumours & Discussion- Part VII page would have a real understanding of the WWE. I'm sorry I'm not as knowledgable as some wrestling fans here on BF.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Fiend vs Kane for the Universal Title. It's probably a fake pic.

Probably the best option--- gives a respectable 'contender' that the Saudi's will enjoy for the show; yet isn't a match that that anyone in the rest of the world will be disappointed if they don't see it.

Makes sense storyline wise too; especially with the challengers previous friendships/alliances.

That Rey and Andrade Ladder Match had a gruesome spots. Was pretty botchy, but still pretty great. That Hammerlock DDT through the Ladder was nasty.

Mysterio hanging from the belt was supposed to get caught but ended up falling and taking a massive bump, then stood up and no sold it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back