WWE Royal Rumble, Sunday 28th January 2024, 12pm AEDT (pre-show at 11am)

Remove this Banner Ad

The interesting thing to me was Punk looking horrible and McIntyre looking like a beast in comparison. In all honesty it should be McIntyre they should be investing more time in, looks and wrestles like a badass.

If you thought Punk looked gassed (which is fair), but didn't see his AEW run, then don't fear.

He started slowly in both runs he had there and found his groove pretty quickly.

Business as usual
Roman will still be champion until at least Wrestlemania 41

I think it’s happening at 40.

I envision more and more tension between Reigns and Solo to the point that when Reigns needs his help the most at WM, he won’t get it and Solo will turn away. Leaving Reigns all on his own for the first time in a long time. Cody takes him down and gets the title.

We get the moment. As well as future feuds in waiting with Solo, inevitably The Rock, aswell as a whole list of guys looking for retribution on Reigns.

If you thought Punk looked gassed (which is fair), but didn't see his AEW run, then don't fear.

He started slowly in both runs he had there and found his groove pretty quickly.

Hopefully we get him in the ring a bit more between now and WM.

I’m not sure what his contract status is, but I hope it’s not part time with limited matches. I’m hoping it was just a slow burn between SS & RR. But he probably is on a limited date deal.

Cody wins people complain.

Punk wins people complain.

Rock enters and wins people complain.

Rock doesn’t enter people complain.

Surprise entrances people complain saying it takes away a roster member spot.

No real surprises people complain.

They had one of the strongest final fours in a while and people complain.

Most of the complaints here are due to the poor quality of the show, not the outcomes.

It's not about the end result, it's about getting there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They’ve been setting it up telling the story for weeks Cody, Punk or Drew were built to win it.

I’m not saying it was a great rumble nor saying it was a bad one.

Personally I struggle to watch two rumbles on the same show. Battle royals suck.

The fatal 4 way and having the Logan Paul match have interference probably hurt the show because it was very multi person oriented and nothing deviated away from that.

Things that I now know:

1) The Bloodline story entirely ran out of petrol like six months ago, and the fatal fourway was almost entirely heatless. The extra year was a mistake.

2) Within the last 12 months they went from Sami being the hottest act in wrestling to a guy that has been booked so weakly that he barely even got a tepid reaction to his surprise entry. And nor should he have, he then went to job to the guy that took him out in weak fashion again. What a waste.

3) Logan Paul is literally just doing the same routine as Roman as an absent champion with heavy interference in every match. It's even worse, because I honestly don't think anyone knows or gives a s**t about his podcast characters.

4) Cody is getting stale, and he's not even won the title yet. The crowds havent turned on him, but the booking problem they created by having to keep him strong for another year to repeat the title match has made for dull television.

5) Having a really self indulgent extended end to the rumble only works if the guys are still able to work when its their time.

I really liked the women's rumble. Everything after that got progressively worse. As I said at the time, I hate these supposedly "epic finishes" to rumbles that just go on forever - I think it was part of the reason that I liked Bayley's predictable win, it did away with some of those annoying tropes like the final 2.

The men's rumble just had nothing to get excited about, and man the Smackdown roster looks like hell when you take out RKO, AJ, LAK, Solo, and Owens, then have a final 4 who are all from Raw. There was nothing different or original, it was just a series of rumble spots that we've all seen before.

Interesting at least that Cody seems more over as a babyface than Punk. That Tampa Bay crowd would've taken McIntyre as winner ahead of Punk too, and probably would've had Gunther on an equal footing.

When was the last time they booked a really good men’s Rumble match?

I feel like this is becoming the reaction almost every year.

I don't know about the reaction to the match itself, but last year the talk was about the Sami turn and some degree of unpredictability on whether they'd capitalise on his over-ness.

I think the problem they have is that the Wrestlemania main events have been set ever since Punk return, and they're trying to sell us about five months worth of filler to get to that conclusion.

Without Cody's mania title shot on the line, what on earth stakes does Elimination Chamber have now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back