WWE Royal Rumble, Sunday 29th January 2023, 12pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

It highlights why not having split show titles hurts. They have this story that they didn’t really plan for but it caught fire like Daniel Bryan and could have Zayn go over Roman at mania and be huge and Cody could have faced someone like Seth , Theory, Lashley even Brock for that other belt.

Yes they have to be careful they don't paint themselves into a corner now.

Less moves than Roman? Roman is on the same level as Kevin Nash and Goldberg in being limited.

Hogan, could wrestle alright, in Japan. Although Hogans biggest strength, rather than being a backstage backstabbing arse kisser, was being able to read the crowd before he hulked up. Also worked where there were very few people that old challenge him.

Austin, was quite decent in WCW, it’s unfortunate that he suffered a botched pile driver, which made him change his way. Austin was also one hell of a talker, his ECW promo’s were brilliant. His character was one that most people could relate to and wish they could do.

The Rock, was a bit ordinary in the ring. He did have charisma and like Hogan could read the crowd perfectly, in order to manipulate the crowd. He also had Austin to work off as well.

Cena, was pretty good when he first started The doctor of Thuganomics, after that quickly became stale. Cena like Hogan, never had any real challengers to take that #1 spot.

To put Roman in this category shows that other talent has not been used correctly, or it’s a very mediocre field he’s been competing in. Or possibly a bit of both. The guy has the charisma of paint drying.
He is at best slightly above average.
I’m not buying it I wasn’t a fan of Roman when he was shoved down your throat but he’s had big matches and moments and delivered more often than not. You talk about Hulking up or the Rocks come back that work as a face but Roman is portraying a heel, he’s not going to be doing crazy ass moves to get cheered now is he?

Aren’t most wrestlers by default have a limited move set anyway? I’m a fan of Drew and Sheamus and most of their matches have that repetitive theme , Mankind was over as * but very limited in the ring. You could argue Taker was to not that he couldn’t do athletic things but to fit the character it followed a very sterile move set.

HBK and Bret Hart were magicians they had a solid base move set but they were able to make anything work with anyone. You throw Vader at them or Yoko or Taker or Diesel they make it work you put them against themselves or people around that build and style and you have a classic. There hasn’t been many like them and they will always be my number 1 and 2 over any of those like Hogan Rock etc.

When it comes to the balance of great storytelling and paying it off with great in ring performances, Shawn Michaels pops in my mind.

Unfortunately in terms of world wide popularity he wasn’t on the level of Hogan, Austin and Rock.

Was it because of his lack of size, or because casuals don’t care about the match quality as much?

Him and Bret Hart were the best at it. On a lesser and more controversial level Benoit and Punk were also great examples of it.

With these guys they could sell the story. When Hart turned heel, he incorporated the figure four around the ring post into his repertoire. If his opponent had a shoulder “injury” he would focus on that part, master philosophy. Like Michaels doesn’t seem to get the credit he deserves. Prime Brett vs prime Angle would have been awesome to watch.

I’m not buying it I wasn’t a fan of Roman when he was shoved down your throat but he’s had big matches and moments and delivered more often than not. You talk about Hulking up or the Rocks come back that work as a face but Roman is portraying a heel, he’s not going to be doing crazy ass moves to get cheered now is he?

Aren’t most wrestlers by default have a limited move set anyway? I’m a fan of Drew and Sheamus and most of their matches have that repetitive theme , Mankind was over as * but very limited in the ring. You could argue Taker was to not that he couldn’t do athletic things but to fit the character it followed a very sterile move set.

HBK and Bret Hart were magicians they had a solid base move set but they were able to make anything work with anyone. You throw Vader at them or Yoko or Taker or Diesel they make it work you put them against themselves or people around that build and style and you have a classic. There hasn’t been many like them and they will always be my number 1 and 2 over any of those like Hogan Rock etc.

Like you Hart and Michaels are my number 1 & 2 as well. Everything they did inside the ring made sense. I’m probably 1 of the few that regards their wrestlemania 12 iron man match as a classic.

I was never a fan of Hogan, but I grudgingly admit he could manipulate the crowd.

Austin as a wrestler is slightly underrated, his work with Pillman as part of the Hollywood Blondes was brilliant.

The best thing about all three was it was themselves as the characters

I get that people were sick of Roman in the early days and I was one of them, the face version was terrible forced down throat and his whole look was just meh.

This transformation has been incredible, the look, music the stable behind him and his facial reactions add to the story telling.

He is up there as one of if not the best heel characters ever on any of these companies like AEW WCW TNA and WWE that do TV etc.

Who else would be up there the evil boss Vince McMahon character, Hollywood Hogan , Triple H and The Rock when he was in the nation kicked Farooq out and started his run there has been so many come and go that don’t last in those roles but he’s right up there as the best.

100% agree, I went to a Mania with Roman main eventing where I left at the end of the match to beat the traffic.

I absolutely love Roman now easily the best thing in wrestling in a long time SZ doesn't have this run without Roman people seem to forget these things.

Like you Hart and Michaels are my number 1 & 2 as well. Everything they did inside the ring made sense. I’m probably 1 of the few that regards their wrestlemania 12 iron man match as a classic.

I was never a fan of Hogan, but I grudgingly admit he could manipulate the crowd.

Austin as a wrestler is slightly underrated, his work with Pillman as part of the Hollywood Blondes was brilliant.

The best thing about all three was it was themselves as the characters

So what’s your point again? Are you just telling us your favourite wrestlers?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chucking on my " eddie smith - HEAD BOOKER " cap, probably needed to be solo who went sami 1st, THEN have Jimmy jump in after being momentarily hesitant.

Kinda just made jimmy look like a mindless drone

Also would've had sami just drop the chair, would've added more weight to the attack, now Roman can say " well, you DID hit me 1st "

Last edited:
The Simpsons GIF
Somebody used this quote behind me at the rumble 😂

Anyway my live review that was an awesome experience but I’ll get the disappointments out of the way

- Not enough suprises in the rumbles in terms of entrants

- The 3 non-rumble matches weren’t that great

- just really wanted Rock or Austin but was always going to be a Hope rather than guarantee

On the crowd noise yeah it was quiet for a bit but after being in San-Antonio for a few days I can understand why. There were some huge pops though like Lashley eliminating Lesnar, Edge return ,Rhodes at 30, Becky Lynch entrance, Asuka new look reveal and of course the big one with Sami hitting Roman with the chair.

It was an awesome experience really just being surrounded with wrestling nuts with their titles and cosplays. The entrances were loud and more impactful than through the TV. Was super stoked with Ripleys win a lot of people around us weren’t so stocked but I was sure to yell out a “* yeah aussies!”

2 Rumbles really kills the crowd though I think it might make more sense to change the Rumble to a 2 night event to really get the most out of it. My voice was pretty tired by the time the women’s rumble came around.

I probably left it to late to see the Royal Rumble with alot of my favourites all done and dusted but I’ll never forget the experience!

Observations from a part timer.

Decent enough show.

Men's Rumble was solid, Cody winning was predictable but still satisfying.. who doesn't love Cody Rhodes. Who would have thought he'd be getting a shot at the strap after his Stardust run.

Gunther is straight out of the 1980's and I'm all about it. He's a genuine star in the making and hope he gets a big run as Heel WWE champ.

Karrion is done, can't believe how irrelevent he's become. Crickets apart from a handful of people booing and a quick exit.

Has There ever been a more naturally gifted performer than Logan Paul? I mean he's a real piece of s**t human but God damn he was born for Pro Wrestling. The ricochet spot was awesome.

Women's rumble was fun.
Really liked Piper Niven, something about her.. big girl can move. Asuka got a huge pop which was good to see. Rhea is a beast.

Bel Air v Bliss meh..

Pitch Black match was ass.
Not digging Bray's return so far at all and I'm a big Bray fan. The face paint was cool though, Howdy missed LA Knight by a good metre.

KO vs Reigns with the Sami/Bloodline was pure unadulterated entertainment.

KO is as gutsy as they come, not the most technically gifted wrestler but leaves everything out there and rarely puts on a bad match.

The post match story telling was brilliant.

I hope they can keep Sami relevant after this because he's as over as he's ever been in his career.

There has to be some sort of chance that Roman vacates one of the belts doesn't there? Can't see him getting pinned between now and Mania, so he will be protected somehow.

It's pretty much guaranteed to be Roman vs Sami at mania now.

How they slot Cody in now is beyond me.

As mentioned earlier, I dont think WWE would have planned in depth for Sami to get over like this. It's a replica of Kofi and Bryan from previous years.

Yep only way to do it now is have Roman drop one of the belts in the elimination chamber and have Cody go after that one. Protects Roman for Sami to go after him for the other at Mania

Yep only way to do it now is have Roman drop one of the belts in the elimination chamber and have Cody go after that one. Protects Roman for Sami to go after him for the other at Mania
Who to though ??

Looking like seth v Logan paul so that rules him out.

Theory maybe, but would have to get the us belt off him 1st

Remove this Banner Ad

Back