NFL Year of the QB

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots Red Sox Notre Dame
I know it happens pretty often but is this draft really a strong class of QBs. I've seen a lot of people comparing it to 83 but really I don't see it as many great QBs but rather a year with guys in the middle rounds 2-4 who have great potential. Personally I'm not fussed on Newton, was great as a dual threat in College, but unless Carolina want to change there style to fit him I can't see him being the next big thing, solid but not great, additionally this is why he shouldn't go to the Bills with that O-line. If Luck had been there it would have been much more solid and probably a no brainer, but Newton is a spread guy. Guys like Locker would seem more value late 1st or 2nd round seems more valuable.

Then again I've watched more college ball than NFL the last year.

I know it happens pretty often but is this draft really a strong class of QBs.
No it is not. Infact, this is a poor QB draft. Yes, there are alot of names being thrown around. More than normal, but everyone, Newton, Gabbert, Mallett, Locker, Caepernick, Dalton, Ponder etc. They're not ready made QB's. They're project QB's. I'm telling you now that because of this, it'll be likely that this draft will have the most QB busts ever.

This is really the year of DL, with some good talent at CB and WR.
Guys like Luck would seem more value late 1st or 2nd round seems more valuable.
What do you mean by this?
Because you're either thinking on another wavelength as me. Or you're unnessesarilly pointing out the obvious.

No it is not. Infact, this is a poor QB draft. Yes, there are alot of names being thrown around. More than normal, but everyone, Newton, Gabbert, Mallett, Locker, Caepernick, Dalton, Ponder etc. They're not ready made QB's. They're project QB's. I'm telling you now that because of this, it'll be likely that this draft will have the most QB busts ever.

This is really the year of DL, with some good talent at CB and WR.

What do you mean by this?
Because you're either thinking on another wavelength as me. Or you're unnessesarilly pointing out the obvious.

I agree I think he value qb's in this draft are the ones in the 2nd round or later... And I meant Locker not Luck... Personally I like McElroy but thats another story

The only reason QB has actually been a big talking point this year is because so many teams are QB starved at the moment, with a lot of them being high draft picks. Add in the fact that there are a few teams with old QBs that need a long term backup project, and this just extrapolates the number of QBs that will likely go in the 1st-3rd rounds.

Mostly a very mediocre QB class though. Wouldn't be surprised at a 2006 draft class-esque result in quality.

Should the Bills be taking Newton with the 3rd pick? I don't think Fitzpatrick is good enough to take us further.
I think the Bills would be better served holding off another year myself. Alas, thats not how the NFL works anymore.

Fitz showed he could play ball when required. The D/running game/God was the problem last year for em. 169 rushing yards per game averaged against them last year. Their passing D looked okay in comparison, but thats only because teams should run so easily on them. Plus the loss of Fewell was seen on the secondary, with interceptions down from a 2nd best 28 in 2009 to only 11 in 2010. They also only had 27 sacks last year.

I would personally go Von Miller, or Dareus if he is available. Then you 'luck' into a QB next year ;)

Fitzgerald is a severely underrated QB personally, however he doesn't rack up the stats or a highlight wheel.

Last years draft showed that the Bills are looking for players to market the team primarily. They have looking for play-makers, scorers and players that'll make the highlight wheel. This makes me believing they'll go for Newton if he is available or AJ Green if he isn't.

This article suggests 2011 draft could break the 1983 draft record (6) of most QBs taken in the first round. There are eleven teams in need of a QB, so it's possible.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...d-topple-1983-first-round-quarterback-record/

There's also the flip-side...that teams not in need of a QB are pushing names hoping that non-QB talent falls to them.

It's a bizarre year - no standout QBs, no standout OTs, and plenty of defensive talent. There's even talk that they'll be no RBs taken in the first round. Not a good year if your team is looking to boost their offence.

It's a bizarre year - ... There's even talk that they'll be no RBs taken in the first round. Not a good year if your team is looking to boost their offence.

I can't see mark ingram dropping out of the first, lowest i can see him going is #33 overall and even then that is a big drop

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a pats supporter i was hoping, but yeah can't really see him getting that low
What Zarko is trying to say is that pick #33 (that you can see him dropping too) is in the 2nd round. Which is ironic considering you can't see him dropping out of the 1st.

What Zarko is trying to say is that pick #33 (that you can see him dropping too) is in the 2nd round. Which is ironic considering you can't see him dropping out of the 1st.
I know that, I don't actually see him dropping to #33 in any realistic situation, i was day dreaming.\, probably should have put a ;) in there to make it clear

I think the whole lockout is having a major impact on why so many QB's are predicted to go high as well. Since teams can't trade players for picks (thats my understanding, may be wrong), for teams like Carolina who may want to trade own it becomes a lot harder, and so are stuck trying to fix a whole with a first overall pick by drafting a mid first round guy, instead of getting a receiver and a lower pick instead. Thats just my view, then again i'm just not a Cam Newton fan.

I think the whole lockout is having a major impact on why so many QB's are predicted to go high as well. Since teams can't trade players for picks (thats my understanding, may be wrong), for teams like Carolina who may want to trade down it becomes a lot harder, and so are stuck trying to fix a whole with a first overall pick by drafting a mid first round guy, instead of getting a receiver and a lower pick instead. Thats just my view, then again i'm just not a Cam Newton fan.

They are able to trade their picks, whether it be to move down or to move up in later rounds. The only picks that they cannot trade are the compensatory picks that they received for the free agent departures of the prior off-season.

In my opinion they would be better served to trade down, although I'm not sure there would be too many teams willing to trade for the #1 pick.

They are able to trade their picks, whether it be to move down or to move up in later rounds. The only picks that they cannot trade are the compensatory picks that they received for the free agent departures of the prior off-season.

In my opinion they would be better served to trade down, although I'm not sure there would be too many teams willing to trade for the #1 pick.
Yeah i know they can trade picks for picks, but a team would basically have to give up all there picks according to that pick value board to equal first pick overall, or the pats would have to give up something like their first 4 picks. I think there are a couple of teams who would like to move into top 5-10 but would agree not many teams would want #1 overall, worth far too much for little rewards seeing as there is no standout player. I agree on the trading down thing obviously

Yeah i know they can trade picks for picks, but a team would basically have to give up all there picks according to that pick value board to equal first pick overall, or the pats would have to give up something like their first 4 picks. I think there are a couple of teams who would like to move into top 5-10 but would agree not many teams would want #1 overall, worth far too much for little rewards seeing as there is no standout player. I agree on the trading down thing obviously

If you consider such circumstances, this draft could well worth flipping from outside the Top 10 to reel in your Main Draft target. San Fran is right in the mix to snare the #1 pick and give up their second 4th round pick. Panthers having already traded away their 2nd round pick to Pats, will benefit from taking another pick in the 4th.

Seahawks are considering about trading DOWN from pick 25. Wonder if Denver will pounce considering they already have TWO picks in Round 2.

If you consider such circumstances, this draft could well worth flipping from outside the Top 10 to reel in your Main Draft target. San Fran is right in the mix to snare the #1 pick and give up their second 4th round pick. Panthers having already traded away their 2nd round pick to Pats, will benefit from taking another pick in the 4th.

Seahawks are considering about trading DOWN from pick 25. Wonder if Denver will pounce considering they already have TWO picks in Round 2.

Denver need help all over their D. They're more likely to trade down for more picks in the 2nd than trade back into the first.

The only way I foresee us trading back into the first is if we take Miller at 2, and we're enamoured with a D-lineman like Wilkerson who's still available in the mid 20s...

Here's a good article which highlights that historically, the 2nd round is actually a bad time to draft a QB, with very few ever becoming good QBs.

It's been a decade since the second round of the NFL draft produced a franchise quarterback. Drew Brees, selected in 2001, is the last signal caller to fit the description.

Click to read full article

Here's a good article which highlights that historically, the 2nd round is actually a bad time to draft a QB, with very few ever becoming good QBs.

I would suggest thats half on the teams drafting them though. Half of the teams probably don't know what they're looking for - Second round QBs tend to be projects but their relatively high draft spot doesn't afford them project-required time on the bench.

I wouldn't have a clue why that happens.

Each draft round represents a tier of ability. A 2nd round prospect "should" hypothetically be better than a 3rd, but not elite enough overall to push into the 1st round.

It just seems odd that many 2nd round QBs fail, as there's no specific reason I can think of.

Generally speaking, in drafting/scouting, there are three types of players....

1. Athletically gifted players who physically (including measurables) will fit right into the NFL, but lack the football IQ.
2. High football IQ players who mentally will adapt quickly, but lack the physical ability and/or measurables to compete.
3. Players who possess both #1 and #2.

The #3's are naturally the 1st round talents. The #1's are most often the 2nd-4th round players. The #2's are often the 3rd-6th round players. Then there are players who are #1's but who got seriously injured or had run of injuries or have very bad off-field issues that see teams taking flyers on them in the 7th round.

All I can propose is that teams who take QBs in the 2nd are often grabbing those who have the IQ but lack the physical talent and thus when they get into the NFL they just can't match up to the physical standards required or lack the ideal measurables (strong arms, height).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back